Will you buy an Apple Watch?

Will you buy the first version of the Apple Watch?

• Yes

Votes: 15 20.8%
  • No

Votes: 57 79.2%

• Total voters
Possibly some of the Apple default apps, but otherwise it doesn’t seem so.

Aha! TrackMyGolf gps app for the Watch doesn’t need the phone. It is the only one that is that way. But to use it on the Watch you have to subscribe to the pro features. Tried it today and it works better at keeping up with your position than any of the other golf gps apps I’ve tried. And after a round of golf it only used about 12% of the battery! That’s much better than any golf gps app on the phone.

Reactions: Foxbat and TheForce
Well, BH was a bust. They said they aren't receiving any watches until November. So, I have mine ordered from Apple. Says will deliver by the last week of October. Now, the question is, stainless steel or black stainless steel? I have both on order and am deciding which one will hold up to scratches better? I've had the original stainless steel since it was first released and has a bunch of scratches on it. I'm very hard on watches. I'm surprised the screen isn't scratched or broken for how many times I've slammed it on things.

mackie99- Same here on the SS original. Very tiny scratches. Probably from banging it into things around the shop and working outside. I now have the black SS which is a coating as SS isn't normally black. This means that scratches will likely cause a much more visible scratch. Consequently, I plan to pop on a protective case when working in the yard. These are not expensive, although a couple of full armor aluminum can run between $70 - $120. Currently I use the snap on type, cheap at $8. I was out earlier yesterday using a chain saw on some down trees from the hurricane and scrapped my wrist across a chain link fence. A few scratches on my arm but the clip on saved the watch from any scratches.

There are a number of videos showing drop tests where the old aluminum models fractured the glass when dropped on concrete, while our SS models with the sapphire glass survived.

I also noticed that the rubber band is more prone to dropping considering there is no security when fixing the strap. A good suggestion is to always put the watch on over a soft surface such as your mattress or a thick carpeted floor in case it slips and falls. I prefer the metal band that you have to slip over your hand with the butterfly clasp. Impossible to drop as opposed to those two piece straps.

There was an accessory that I really liked that appears to have never made it to the market. One of those developer like kick starter projects where the company was looking for preorders to fund it.
New 'CMRA' Band for Apple Watch Features Dual 2MP and 8MP Cameras

Pretty neat implementation. If this was real, Apple should buy it and sell it. I think adding a camera to the next version of the watch could be a good upgrade. I would prefer the camera watch band, however.

I am really amazed at the longer battery life of this watch3. As I now settle in on using it as frequently as I did my original the normal battery before was about 44 hours average before I had to put on charge. The watch 3 is now approaching 66 hours and is only down to 23% remaining. I believe it will make it to 72 hours before I hit 10%.

The only thing I have running 24/7 is the Cardiogram heart rate monitor. But, I'm certain I don't use it as often as some for phone calls. I probably only talked for 15 minutes on the watch these last 3 days. I do check and read email and text messages and a few app alerts that are running.

I am really amazed at the longer battery life of this watch3. As I now settle in on using it as frequently as I did my original the normal battery before was about 44 hours average before I had to put on charge. The watch 3 is now approaching 66 hours and is only down to 23% remaining. I believe it will make it to 72 hours before I hit 10%.

The only thing I have running 24/7 is the Cardiogram heart rate monitor. But, I'm certain I don't use it as often as some for phone calls. I probably only talked for 15 minutes on the watch these last 3 days. I do check and read email and text messages and a few app alerts that are running.

I walked the dog for 45 minutes, using the walk workout, then rode my bike for 1hr 15 min using the Cyclemeter app, battery drain. Down to 87%. Incredible, And for what it’s worth the iPhone 8 plus with 11.1 beta 1 is getting incredible battery life, the phone was running cyclemeter as well, connected via Bluetooth to a bike speed and cadence sensor, and usInt audible, also connected by Bluetooth to air pods. Total battery drain from 7am until 12pm, 13%.

The watch 3 is now approaching 66 hours and is only down to 23% remaining. I believe it will make it to 72 hours before I hit 10%.

So I left it run until it hit 10% remaining. I hit 78 hours to use 90% of the battery. I'm in disbelief. I charged for 3 hours and now we'll see how this goes again.

For those who like to use free unauthorized wifi at public places and have had trouble using your watch without the iphone near by, Apple has now relaced a fix for this in update 4.0.1. Check your update availability in the settings.

I have a question that I have never seen mentioned, there is an additional charger applied to your wireless bill, usually $10.00 for most carriers, my question is how much GB do you get for the extra charge, or is the usage added to whatever your cell usage is and the $10.00 just a convenience fee

For those who like to use free unauthorized wifi at public places and have had trouble using your watch without the iphone near by, Apple has now relaced a fix for this in update 4.0.1. Check your update availability in the settings.

BTW, I checked for watch updates, and there was no 4.0.1 update available.

mackie99- Same here on the SS original. Very tiny scratches. Probably from banging it into things around the shop and working outside. I now have the black SS which is a coating as SS isn't normally black. This means that scratches will likely cause a much more visible scratch. Consequently, I plan to pop on a protective case when working in the yard. These are not expensive, although a couple of full armor aluminum can run between $70 - $120. Currently I use the snap on type, cheap at $8. I was out earlier yesterday using a chain saw on some down trees from the hurricane and scrapped my wrist across a chain link fence. A few scratches on my arm but the clip on saved the watch from any scratches.

There are a number of videos showing drop tests where the old aluminum models fractured the glass when dropped on concrete, while our SS models with the sapphire glass survived.

I also noticed that the rubber band is more prone to dropping considering there is no security when fixing the strap. A good suggestion is to always put the watch on over a soft surface such as your mattress or a thick carpeted floor in case it slips and falls. I prefer the metal band that you have to slip over your hand with the butterfly clasp. Impossible to drop as opposed to those two piece straps.

There was an accessory that I really liked that appears to have never made it to the market. One of those developer like kick starter projects where the company was looking for preorders to fund it.
New 'CMRA' Band for Apple Watch Features Dual 2MP and 8MP Cameras

Pretty neat implementation. If this was real, Apple should buy it and sell it. I think adding a camera to the next version of the watch could be a good upgrade. I would prefer the camera watch band, however.

Thanks for the info. I'm leaning more to the SS instead of the Black SS. I've been reading the black SS scratches easily and can't be polished like the SS.

Currently, I use the milanese loop (a knock off that looks just like Apple's). I'll probably buy it with the milanese loop from Apple.

I have a question that I have never seen mentioned, there is an additional charger applied to your wireless bill, usually $10.00 for most carriers, my question is how much GB do you get for the extra charge, or is the usage added to whatever your cell usage is and the $10.00 just a convenience fee

T-mobile is unlimited data.

Reactions: navychop
I have switched to T-Mobile and the $10 is a convenience fee, since we have unlimited data. The only gotcha is video is restricted to DVD quality, 640. Since most of my Dish Anywhere is on Wi-Fi, this hasn't been a problem. I will test on a T-Mobile only link this weekend and see if that is a problem, PQ wise, on a SE, 6+ or iPad.

I have switched to T-Mobile and the $10 is a convenience fee, since we have unlimited data. The only gotcha is video is restricted to DVD quality, 640. Since most of my Dish Anywhere is on Wi-Fi, this hasn't been a problem. I will test on a T-Mobile only link this weekend and see if that is a problem, PQ wise, on a SE, 6+ or iPad.

Can you really tell it's DVD quality on a phone? I can't.

I'll probably buy it with the milanese loop from Apple.

Save money! buy with the rubber band strap. The knock-off Milanese Loop band with magnet is much cheaper than the Apple one and looks identical. Amazon is your friend.

I prefer a more dressy look that also is a bit more sturdy. I have the Milanese Loop and it is rather flimsy compared to the link SS bands. Now my wife has the 38mm Aluminum and she loves the Milanese Loop and owns two of them. One plain SS and a second that is Rose Gold she uses along with a Rose Gold watch case for a dress up look.

The only watch band I have seen that appears worth the money was the original SS link band. I could see the quality and construction in that but it is very expensive. There is nothing on the market like it. Close but the clasp is not as well made as the Apple one. However, the designer bands for $20-$30 are just as good as they do the job.

Verizon has unlimited date too but I have a family share plan with Verizon. I get by with 2GB per month and when on trips, I sometimes switch to higher for the month. The unlimited plan is far too expensive compared to my managed plan. $80 + taxes difference.

The $10 cell fee for the watch but the data used is part of my 2GB monthly as would be if I had an ipad on the plan. Both of these non phone devices add $10. I pulled my ipad off and now have the watch.

Can you really tell it's DVD quality on a phone? I can't.

You can measure the quality in some video apps, such as YT. On my iphone 6+ I can actually stream at 1080p and see it because the screen is a 1080 x 1920 native screen. On my new Sony Xperia XZ Premium, I can stream at 2160 x 3840 because the screen is a native UHD pixel screen when the YT content is in 2160x3840.

Spoiled myself and ordered the new white/platinum Nike sport band. I have the black and yellow one now, and wanted to shift things up. It shipped yesterday, and will be here tomorrow.

Also got the Belkin Boost Up fast-charging Qi charger. Works great with the 8plus (and actually fast charges) but does not work with the watch. I'm wondering if Qi-charging with the watch is going to require an update, and not be out until the Apple pad comes out.

Save money! buy with the rubber band strap. The knock-off Milanese Loop band with magnet is much cheaper than the Apple one and looks identical. Amazon is your friend.

I prefer a more dressy look that also is a bit more sturdy. I have the Milanese Loop and it is rather flimsy compared to the link SS bands. Now my wife has the 38mm Aluminum and she loves the Milanese Loop and owns two of them. One plain SS and a second that is Rose Gold she uses along with a Rose Gold watch case for a dress up look.

The only watch band I have seen that appears worth the money was the original SS link band. I could see the quality and construction in that but it is very expensive. There is nothing on the market like it. Close but the clasp is not as well made as the Apple one. However, the designer bands for $20-$30 are just as good as they do the job.

Verizon has unlimited date too but I have a family share plan with Verizon. I get by with 2GB per month and when on trips, I sometimes switch to higher for the month. The unlimited plan is far too expensive compared to my managed plan. $80 + taxes difference.

The $10 cell fee for the watch but the data used is part of my 2GB monthly as would be if I had an ipad on the plan. Both of these non phone devices add $10. I pulled my ipad off and now have the watch.

You're right. I'll probably go with the sport strap. I already have the knock-off Milanese now and it works just fine.

I have the knock-off SS Link band. It looks just like the one from Apple except at a fraction of the cost. I think it was $100 or so. It even has the removable links.