Will you buy an Apple Watch?

Will you buy the first version of the Apple Watch?

• Yes

Votes: 15 20.8%
  • No

Votes: 57 79.2%

• Total voters
The Apple SS link band is different from the knockoff's in that the butterfly clasp is flush with the inner side of the band. Really a precision design! The links changing for removal use a retractable connection but the knock-offs use a conventional pin that is difficult to change, usually requires a tool. The Apple one does not require any tools. Not that this is a big deal, just saying how they differ and why the cost is so much higher. But, for the money, I would buy the knock-offs.

This is the knock-off I have. Like I said, it looks exactly like the one from Apple. You don't need a tool to take the links out. I had the one from Apple and sent it back because I couldn't justify the $450 cost.

Here is the link to Amazon. It's no longer available. I paid $139.99 for it.

IMG_4753.JPG

IMG_4754.JPG

Also got the Belkin Boost Up fast-charging Qi charger. Works great with the 8plus (and actually fast charges) but does not work with the watch. I'm wondering if Qi-charging with the watch is going to require an update, and not be out until the Apple pad comes out.

Somewhere I read that the Qi standard 3rd party will only work with iphone 8, 8+ and X, but not the watch0, 1, 2, 3. Apple did this to make their airpower backward compatible with the older watches and the watch 3 backward compatible with the older watch chargers. Also the 3rd party Qi only does one at a time but the Apple will work with all Apple wireless charging devices and more than one at a time. Apple added extensions on top of the Qi standard.

I don't think Apple will be doing an update to achieve what you want to do. If you want to have watch3 charging on the same pad as your iphone 8, you will probably need to buy it from Apple. ( unless a 3rd party makes a knockoff of the airpower technology pad ) That's what was done with the old lightning cables. 3rd party had to make them compatible, not that Apple made the Lightning connectors compatible. I had to toss 7 Lightning cables in the trash when we got the 6+ and SE. :(

This is the knock-off I have. Like I said, it looks exactly like the one from Apple. You don't need a tool to take the links out. I had the one from Apple and sent it back because I couldn't justify the $450 cost.

I stand corrected! Is that really yellow gold plated SS? It looks like a fake Apple Edition gold one. ( the one that sold for $8000 ) Anyway, you are correct, it is an exact design from the Apple SS link. I like that!

I stand corrected! Is that really yellow gold plated SS? It looks like a fake Apple Edition gold one. ( the one that sold for $8000 ) Anyway, you are correct, it is an exact design from the Apple SS link. I like that!

No, it's the brushed aluminum like Apple's. I don't know why it came out looking gold. Must be the camera on my iPhone 7+. :)

I have a question that I have never seen mentioned, there is an additional charger applied to your wireless bill, usually $10.00 for most carriers, my question is how much GB do you get for the extra charge, or is the usage added to whatever your cell usage is and the $10.00 just a convenience fee
Since its the same number as your phone it shares the data plan for that phone number.

I found a cheaper link bracelet on Amazon. This one looks the same as Apple's.

I did a little searching based on your info and saw the black one too. But while it looks exactly like the expensive Apple one, I have a black one that looks like the real thing but uses pins and a thicker butterfly clasp for my new black SS watch3, but for appearance, I wear this one most of the time now:

IMG_1142.JPG

According to this article, Apple's version of fast charging is limited to 7.5W where the new version (Qi 1.2) runs at up to 15W:

How to choose a wireless charger for an iPhone 8 or iPhone X

That is true. 7.5w, but that's faster than the 5w lightning cable. HOWEVER, if I want to fast charge, I use my 29W Apple USB-C charger with a USB-C to Lightning cable. Works for both the iPhone and for the iPad Pro, and up to 80% does it extremely quickly.

Unpaired my Watch0 and unlocked it for the next owner. Planning to give it to a family member. It now looks like it was when new out of the box.

One difficulty I had was that I had both watches paired to my 6+ under the same name and I checked and all the numbers were the same except the serial number. Concerned that unpairing the watch0 would also unpair my watch3, I put the watch 3 in the microwave, while I unpaired the watch0. That worked and when it was all done, all my apple watched disappeared from the Blue Tooth list. I removed the watch3 from the microwave and then it was sensed and paired with no changes.

I don't know if this was the proper procedure for my situation, but I did get emails from my CC's that were in the wallet and it said they had been deleted from the device and gave the last 4 digits of the watch0 serial number. Still, the watch3 has the CC's listed and one worked fine today at Walgreens.

How has you battery been on the series 3 since you've had it a while now? My 0 barely gets 8 hours.

I still am averaging 70-77 hours from 100% to 10% on the watch3. I just checked in with my son-in-law and his 42mm SS watch0 is still getting him 36-40 hours. But, his iphone 7 is requiring recharge after 10 hours. I told him he talks too much all day. He is a salesman. Go figure. :) I go usually 3 days on the iphone6+

Here is my latest outfit for the watch3

It is a black ceramic band with a red aluminum cover. One of my favorite things about the Apple watch is all the accessories for it.
IMG_1143.JPG

So my boss got a series 3 watch today with cellular. Of course he asked me to set it up for him.

Setup went easy, until we got to the activate cellular part. When we logged into his account it said that NumberShare was not available for his account and gave a number to call.

So we called the number and got a rep who told us we could only activate a new number on the watch, and that the costs would be forty something bucks a month plus taxes and would require a new 2 year commitment.

I was telling him no that's not the way it works and he kept telling me that he works for Verizon and I dont and he knows what he is talking about. I told him to look at the NumberShare FAQ on Verizon's website and he told me he couldn't do that, so I started reading it to him and he said "oh that only applies to Samsung watches not Apple Watches. When the FAQ kept on mentioning the series 3 Apple watch. I asked for a supervisor a number of time and he wouldn't transfer me to one or he would put me on hold and say none was available. After of an hour and fifteen minutes I started yelling at him to put a supervisor on the line. That worked. Got a "manager" who came on and I explained what we just went through, he didn't seem to care and said, I have enabled number sync on your account for your phone number, it may take up to 30 minutes for cellular to become active on the watch, thanks for being a Verizon customer and then click he hung up on us.

30 minutes later on the Watch it reported the Sim as Verizon and status as connected.

So my boss wanted to test it out. He left his iPhone in his office and we went down to the parking garage where we were sure he wouldn't be connected to any wifi.

We got down there and he used his watch to call my cell phone and it worked well. And then he asked me to call him back. And thats where he got mad.

Seems you can only call out from the Apple watch, but it will not receive calls or text messages.

He is pissed. I got to admit I didn't know you could not use it to get calls when you are on the watch only using cellular either.

Now I think he is going to return the watch to Apple.

Seems you can only call out from the Apple watch, but it will not receive calls or text messages.

He is pissed. I got to admit I didn't know you could not use it to get calls when you are on the watch only using cellular either.

Hopefully someone with more experience will chime in, I haven't turned on the cellular feature yet, but that just doesn't sound correct.

All the reviews I have looked at after going through all of this seem to mention it.

From Time
Apple's New Watch Only Partly Frees You From Your iPhone
The Apple Watch's cellular connectivity covers important basics: making calls, sending texts, checking email, or getting directions through Apple Maps.

Others just mention MAKING calls, not receiving... still looking around as he is not happy. (whats funny is he will NEVER use the Cellular feature anyways as he always has his phone with him.

Under the "Learn More" part of the Watch 3 propaganda on their website the following paragraph appears:
Apple Watch 3 said:
Freedom calls.
Answer a call from your surfboard. Ask Siri to send a message. Stream your favorite songs on your run. And do it all while leaving your phone behind. Introducing Apple Watch Series 3 with cellular. Now you have the freedom to go with just your watch.1
footnote 1 said:
Wireless service plan required for cellular service. Apple Watch and iPhone service provider must be the same. Not available with all service providers. Not all service providers support enterprise accounts; check with your employer and service provider. Some legacy plans may not be compatible. Prepaid plans are not supported. Roaming is not available outside your carrier network coverage area. Contact your service provider for more details. Check www.apple.com/watch/cellular for participating wireless carriers and eligibility.
Apple is unequivocally claiming that the Watch 3 cellular will answer calls. The roaming thing may be problematic.