WiltH, Where are you? I need help! (very long)

BigTVSteve

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Nov 27, 2004
I tried sending the following email today to wilth@optionline.net. The outgoing email was returned as not deliverable. I hope that Wilt will see this sad story and respond or someone may provide me with a more current and workable email address for Wilt Hildebrand. I am beginning to think he is my only hope to get a VOOM installation in Nevada.

Wilt,

I am an online subscriber to two internet forums: satelliteguys.us and hideffforum. I have had a two receiver VOOM installation since November at my house in San Diego. My wife and I both love the programming service and the picture quality. I have promoted VOOM to all my friends with HD TV systems.

As a result of our great VOOM experience in San Diego (I called on a Thursday morning and received a 24 inch dish installation the next day on Friday morning last November, great PQ, etc.), we decided to install two 24 inch dishes at our house in Carson City Nevada. I didn't appreciate how much difference having a good local VOOM dealer in San Diego made in that process. Calling VOOM directly is quite another story...

So far, we are less than impressed with how difficult it has been to get another VOOM installation for our Nevada house by dealing directly with the VOOM CSRs. I called the VOOM 800 number in mid December and scheduled a two 24 inch dish/two receiver installation to occur on Dec 27. The CSR said that it was not possible to get a 24 inch dish installed unless the 18 inch dish had proved unsatisfactory. When I said that was not always the case and had them look up my previous installation of a 24 inch dish in San Diego. The CSR checked with a supervisor and then made a note that I was to receive two 24 inch dishes in Nevada. So far, so good.

When the installer called at noon on Dec 27 to say that he was running about 7 hours late for my 9AM appointment, I said that would still be okay, but I asked him what equipment he was bringing for the installation. When he said that he only had one 18 inch dish and one receiver with him, I cancelled the appointment as it would have just wasted his time, my time, and your company's money.

When I called VOOM again the first time on Dec 27, they indicated they had no record of my dual 24 inch dish request. When I called back and spoke to a different CSR, he did find a record of my original request and gave me the work order number (#524-1004). I asked him to notify the installers of the dual 24 inch dish request and to have them contact me for another installation date once they had the proper equipment in hand. I also asked for the name of the installation company and for some phone numbers. I did receive a phone number, but it was constantly busy when I tried to call the number.

The installation company (Install Pro) apparently tried to schedule an installation on 6 or 8 January, but they never notified me by phone or by email, so these attempts never happened. When I called Install Pro on January 15 to see about getting my installation re-scheduled I was told they had no record of my 24 inch dish request and that they would be providing a single 18 inch dish. In several phone calls to Install Pro, I spoke to Jason (702-501-5602) and to Isis (702-501-5602). Isis reiterated that I was only to receive a single 18 inch dish and suggested that I call Steve at 888-248-2377. I said that was not acceptable and would be calling VOOM to get things corrected, in addition to calling Steve. When I called the 888 number at 3PM, about 1 hour before the recorded closing time, there was no answer on this toll free number.

After not being able to contact management people at Install Pro on January 15, I spoke to Josh on the same date. Josh is a VOOM CSR on the 800-GET-VOOM number. After initially telling me that it was not possible to receive a 24 inch dish on an initial installation, he checked my customer files and my work order and determined that I did have a 24 inch dish installed in San Diego (first visit) and that there was a record of my request for two 24 inch dishes for my Nevada house on work order #524-1004. He said he would make certain that this information was made available to the Install Pro people.

On January 17, I reached Steve of Install Pro on the 888-248-2377 number. He said that VOOM hadn't shipped any antennas for my installation and that he only had one receiver on hand for the installation. He said he would call VOOM and then call me back. Later that day, ISIS called me to say she would need to cancel the scheduled 18 January installation. I told her that no one had contacted me or my wife about an 18 January installation in the first place. At any rate, she said that they would need to cancel the installation because they had not received the VOOM equipment. When I asked her what they were planning to install and gave her the work order number (#524-1004), she said that this was for a single 18 inch dish, two receivers and a single "bat wing" antenna. Arrgh! I just gave up and was about to give up on VOOM completely at this point.

On January 25, my wife convinced me to call VOOM again and see if we could actually get an installation scheduled, as we had now been trying to do so for about 6 weeks. On this date, I called the 800-GET-VOOM and talked to Josh again. He confirmed we were still on the same work order number and that the installation was to include 2 receivers, two 24 inch dishes and 2 outdoor antennas. As I had done in my November San Diego installation, I had agreed to pay an extra $99 for the second satellite dish installation, because otherwise I would have long exposed wire runs with a single dish installation. Since I had experienced good performance at the San Diego house with the VOOM-installed Wineguard Square Shooter antenna, I requested that the work order be amended to show a request for two of these antennas to be installed in Nevada. Josh did this and gave me an installation date of 18 February.

In February, George from Wright Installations called my Nevada house (BTW, they were supposed to use my San Diego cell phone number for all telephone communications) and left a message with his phone number. He also indicated that the installation was still planned for 18 February.

When I called Wright Installations (775-219-6251) on February 16, I asked George what equipment was scheduled for my installation. He said that there would be one 18 inch dish, one OTA antenna and two receivers. I told him this was not acceptable as the bad weather signal strength/reception quality would not be adequate and that he should cancel the installation. I told him that I would again call VOOM to see what was on the work order.

On February 16, I called 888-987-3474 and spoke to Avis at VOOM about my often delayed installation and asked her to look up the work order number. She initially told me that I was to get an 18 inch dish and two receivers. When I told her that was not correct and cited a number of previous calls to VOOM about this same and now possibly cursed installation, she said that the work order did show that 2 Square Shooter antennas and two 24 inch dishes had been requested on the work order. She spoke to Tanya, who told her that "VOOM Corporate" would have to approve this installation. I told Avis that I would write to you about this series of mistakes and broken appointments and to see if you could provide the needed "Corporate Approval". Avis prepared an On-Line Request form with the needed information about the two 24 inch dishes. She was requesting "Corporate Approval" for the two dish Nevada installation to occur on February 21.

Wilt, I hope you can approve or at least intercede to help with my VOOM installation on Work Order 524-1004.

Sorry to be so detailed and rambling in this explanation, but if these problems are going to get fixed, I thought you might be able to use the extra information. I am not sure who is really at fault here, as there seem to be many mistakes on the part of the installers and by VOOM personnel. As far as I know, two different installation teams have yet to be provided with the correct installation equipment information from VOOM. It almost seems like the installers want to install equipment that they know will not work in the area and then bill VOOM again when they come back out to correct their previous "mistakes".

Thanks,

Steve, getting desparate in Nevada

Steve - what a horror story. Have you considered looking for a local Voom installer? I know we have a couple here "over the hill" in No. Cal and if I had difficulty with my initial install (which thankfully I didn't) I was going to contact them since they honor the Voom promotion and it cuts out the middle-people...

Good luck!

Doug

you know on the install thing.... voom really should make some kind of an online rating system and if a installers ratings went below 70% or something like that they would be dropped form being allowed to install voom.

This doesn't seem like an installer problem so much as it is a problem with VOOM CSR's lying about having changed the install order and also VOOM shipping the wrong equipment to the installer.

In VOOM's defense - why should they have to provide customers with more expensive equipment (the 24" dish and upgraded antenna) without first being allowed to try installing the standard equipment?

BigTVSteve, I've been following your posts about trying to get VOOM in Carson City. Have to admit more than usual interest since that area is in the top couple of places where we'd like to retire.

I copied your post and posted to Wilt on the VOOM/Yahoo forum as I know he keeps track of the posts over there. However, since I didn't know how to add your active email account to the post he may not know how to get ahold of you so you might want to add a post. I thought the email address you had for him was correct. Maybe a change at corporate headquarters since Wilt works for Cablevision and will stay with them and not VOOM but think it is a little early for that.

Still enjoying HDTV under way to rainless Seattle skies, Gill

jnardone said:
This doesn't seem like an installer problem so much as it is a problem with VOOM CSR's lying about having changed the install order and also VOOM shipping the wrong equipment to the installer.

In VOOM's defense - why should they have to provide customers with more expensive equipment (the 24" dish and upgraded antenna) without first being allowed to try installing the standard equipment?
I agree it is VOOM's choice to try the less expensive equitpment, but how much more expensive can the 24" dish be?
When I ordered VOOM, the CSR told me they were sending the 24" dish because of my location(South Louisiana) without me even mentioning it. However the installer showed up with the 18".
Wouldn't it be cheaper to install the 24" dish the first time than paying the installer to go out and upgrade the dish?
Myself, I would have been happy with the 18", but scheduled the reinstall simply because I was promised the larger dish in the first place and should not have had to try the 18".

jnardone said:

Agree.

I am not directly in Carson City, but I have the same 16 deg look angle and similar weather. My 18" dish has performed fine, 96-98 signal strength no outages so far rain or snow. Also my OTA stations are over twice as far away, stock VOOM OTA bat antenna works fine too. Only one dish is required, so absolutely would not send out two.

If I did have a problem rain/snow problem, I wouldn't even think of calling VOOM for the $40 and 20 minutes it takes to do the upgrade myself.

Rob.

Wilt normally does not read here, if he did he wouldn't have time to do anything else all day. :D

However you can find Wilt in the Yahoogroup (which we carry here at SatelliteGuys)

i got bigsteve hooked up with the Regional Manager today. He well help him out

Thanks, TYORK, and Wilt posted on VOOM/Yahoo that he would look into it. This should take care of BigTVSteve's problem.

Still enjoying HDTV under "where's the rain" Seattle skies, Gill

Thanks for the support/tips

Thanks for the support and tips. WiltH has sent me an email indicating that he is looking into this. I have not yet received any emails or phone calls from VOOM, however.

With regard to the tips to use a single dish, you might want to look at my house plans and the location of the two TVs before you offer further suggestions. Using one antenna would require over a 200 foot run of external cable with many right angle turns to reach the second TV. I am willing to pay for the second dish, just as I was in San Diego.

From the large number of posts from other VOOMERS and Ex-VOOMERS about the poor performance and signal dropouts of even well tuned 18 inch dishes on the west coast, I am not willing to be an installation guinea pig. FYI, the Nevada installation is in a second house and it requires me to make a 1000 mile round trip for each install attempt (e.g., second or third install). Even though I have a 99 signal strength (normal conditions) on a 24 inch dish signal in San Diego, I still experienced some brief dropouts last month during rain/fog situations. Nevada is much stormier than San Diego. Can you spell snow?

It has got to be cheaper for VOOM to install larger 24 inch dishes on the West Coast, than it is to pay for repeated installation attempts... It is also probably much cheaper to retain customers with quality signals during bad weather.

Sorry it took me a long time to respond. I am currently back east on an extended business trip. I will post my installation results (good or bad) when there are some.

thanks.

BigTVSteve said:
Even though I have a 99 signal strength (normal conditions) on a 24 inch dish signal in San Diego, I still experienced some brief dropouts last month during rain/fog situations. Nevada is much stormier than San Diego. Can you spell snow?.

LOL, I am so tired of people complaining that they loose there signal for 5 minutes during a heavy rainstorm. This is satalite service, lurn to live with a few occasional 5 minute losses of picture during heavy rain storms already, or quit crying and hook your cable back up!!! And yes if it snows heavy you will have to go outside and sweep the dish, or wait untill the sun melts it the next morning. If you get lots of snow careful planning of your dish is required so you can reach it to clear the snow!!

A Big Thanks to WiltH and TYork

Well, it finally happened. Almost 3 months to the day after I originally requested a two 24 inch dish/two receiver installation in Northern Nevada, my installation was started and completed yesterday. I don't think this would have occurred without help from both WiltH and TYork. Many thanks to both of you!

George, an installer from Sparks, Nevada (under subcontract to Installs Inc.), arrived right on time yesterday morning and had two 24 inch dishes, two receivers and three OTA antennas with him. The extra antennas were as I had originally requested so that the installation could be completed in a single day, if two 24 inch dishes were required. George was able to figure out a central location for the antennas and convince me that he could hide the RG6 wiring sufficiently so that two centralized antennas could be used to feed the two receivers located at opposite ends of a long ranch style house.

He did a great job in hiding most of the exterior wiring under roof tiles. When the Wineguard Sensar antenna that he mounted at the peak of the house roof did not have sufficient signal strength on a couple of the network OTA stations, he replaced it with a Wineguard "Ghostbuster" yagi antenna. This is a 6-7 foot long UHF/VHF antenna with elements about 2-3 feet long. He said that the Ghostbuster had been pre-approved by VOOM for this area in case the Sensar did not work; this was a pleasant surprise to me.

After the Ghostbuster installation, I had low to mid 90s signal strength on Channels 2, 4, 5, 8, and 11, the main network and PBS stations in the Reno/Carson City area. Channels 11 and 27 also come in sporadically, but I did not expect to receive them well because of distances and mountain terrain. My dish signal strength on both receivers is a steady 96. This is a little lower than the 98-99 that I have on a 24 inch VOOM dish in San Diego, but probably indicates good aiming of the single 24 inch dish that is feeding the two receivers.

The installer said that it is important to use an aiming tool that indicates which satellite the antenna is pointed to. Apparently there is another satellite near the VOOM 61.5 location that some installers incorrectly choose when using a tool that only shows signal strength; this results in a VOOM signal in the mid-80s and highly unsatisfactory results. This actually happened with my San Diego installation last November, but the installer there caught and corrected his own mistake as soon as I questioned the low signal strength with his original aim point.

Overall, I would rate my two recent VOOM installations as a B+ in Nevada and a solid A in California. Pre-installation headaches, number of phone calls to both VOOM and various installers, emails, etc. rated an F for Nevada and another A for California (single phone call to get a 24 inch dish and two receivers, with the installation performed about 20 hours after the set up phone call).

Since VOOM just added BBC America, my wife will require me to be a lifetime subscriber, so I hope they stay in business and do a good job with their technology improvements and billing procedures. Let's all keep our fingers crossed.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts