Win 7 Mobile News thread

Exactly what shortcomings does the mac have these days?
There must be some reason there's so much interest in Lion. That being said, Lion was arguably the most feared upgrade since the original OS X.

The Finder will always be brain damaged.
Putting a dock with relatively large icons at the bottom center of a wide screen monitor is asinine.
Making the window gadgets smaller probably wasn't the best idea for those with <28" monitors.

Now that the Mac is essentially a FreeBSD machine with a pretty robust Windows machine underpinnings and a better than passable Windows emulator, what's not to like?

BAM! Take that! ;)

My wife and I both had Windows based PDAs. We eventually stopped using them, they just were too slow and clumsy, and unreliable. They're sitting here with dead batteries. I guess I need to toss them, no market anymore.

I have two Windows based PDAs. An HP iPaq H5555 running Windows 2003 Mobile SE with the Intel StrongARM Processor at 400 MHz and an HP iPaq HX2795 running Windows Mobile 5 Premium with the 624 MHz Intel XScale. Between the two devices I spent well over $1,000 and I haven’t used either of them in years. Windows For Pocket PC/Windows Mobile was just plain sloppy. Slow, clumsy, and unreliable would be the exact words I’d use to describe my experiences as well. It’s a real shame, as both of those devices were pretty awesome hardwarewise for their time. HP put out some great, very capable PDAs, that were actually built by a little known company called HTC, you may recognize that name from recent years and they had the horsepower under the hood to be great, but Windows Mobile just blows and really hindered what HP designed and HTC built. Besides the craptastic OS, the number of programs available for the platform were nil. I used the Pocket MS Office apps that came with the PDA, Pocket AIM and a program called Sirius CE that allowed Sirius subscribers to stream over wifi on your Pocket PC. I also managed to install a screen saver pack on the older PDA. Other then that, I can’t say I did a whole hell of a lot with Windows Mobile as there was nothing to do with it.

I have two Windows based PDAs. An HP iPaq H5555 running Windows 2003 Mobile SE with the Intel StrongARM Processor at 400 MHz and an HP iPaq HX2795 running Windows Mobile 5 Premium with the 624 MHz Intel XScale. Between the two devices I spent well over $1,000 and I haven’t used either of them in years.

Being that they were windows 2003 and mobile 5, it is not all that shocking. ;)

Certainly not going to defend windows mobile, as my two prior experiences were horrible, but I suspect they will linger in the market with single digit percentages for quite a while.

Being that they were windows 2003 and mobile 5, it is not all that shocking. ;)

I have a PC I bought in 2003, a month before the first PDA, that is in use every day. The PC I'm typing this post on was purchased a month before my second PDA. Is that shocking as well? The 2795 was only purchased in 2008. It was an impulse buy that I never really thought about as I bought it literally 10 minutes before Amazon started charging sales tax in NY. In order to save over $50 bucks on what I thought I would end up buying anyway I bought it on the spot.

I have a PC I bought in 2003, a month before the first PDA, that is in use every day. The PC I'm typing this post on was purchased a month before my second PDA. Is that shocking as well? The 2795 was only purchased in 2008. It was an impulse buy that I never really thought about as I bought it literally 10 minutes before Amazon started charging sales tax in NY. In order to save over $50 bucks on what I thought I would end up buying anyway I bought it on the spot.

Considering that you talk about wanting the latest and greatest constantly, yes, that is shocking.

Still, my point was it was just humorous that you would use those two OS as examples of why you havent used WM in YEARS, when they are years old themselves. I doubt anyone here has used them in years.
That and I was picking with you.

Certainly not going to defend windows mobile, as my two prior experiences were horrible, but I suspect they will linger in the market with single digit percentages for quite a while.

My last experience wasnt fantastic either, however, this OS is totally new and I have not tried it. Market share obviously is not great, but I have heard good things.
I would wager that most ranting against it have not tried it, much as many that rant against apple havent. I am not saying that the proof will be in the pudding, im just saying that many that do bash, simply dont know and are basing criticism on past, far inferior products.

Obviously there will be those that have tried both and hate them for whatever reason.

My last experience wasnt fantastic either, however, this OS is totally new and I have not tried it. Market share obviously is not great, but I have heard good things.
I would wager that most ranting against it have not tried it, much as many that rant against apple havent. I am not saying that the proof will be in the pudding, im just saying that many that do bash, simply dont know and are basing criticism on past, far inferior products.

Obviously there will be those that have tried both and hate them for whatever reason.

I agree, a lot of the ranting and hate is based on preconceptions rather than actual experience. I'll admit I used to be totally biased against macs, but now that I use one, I laugh at my ignorance.

I did not have great experiences with Windows Mobile or Windows CE, but you are right - the new OS is just that, new. And it has some interesting features.

But I do think they are at a huge disadvantage in the market, given the place that iOS and Android play in it.

Hmmmm. I know that my nickle bet is against them getting it right, finally. Or ever.

Exactly. A lot of the bashing I've heard is from people who've either only experienced the old Windows CE or the very early Windows Mobile versions, and haven't bothered to try the new product. Windows 7 Mobile (NODO) is a fantastic system. The next version, (Mango) Is going to be even better. My fiance and I just got back a couple of hours ago from the AT&T store where we exchanged her Pantech Laser (feature phone) for an LG Quantum. It's really an amazing phone. It has a polished, professional tightly integrated feel, as opposed to the half-assed cobbled together feel of Android. It certainly has a ways to go, but it has so much potential, and it's improving rapidly. The Integration with Windows Live, Xbox Live and Exchange is complete and seamless. Myself, I still use my trusty iPhone 3GS. I'm eligible for an upgrade, but I'm going to hold off and see what Apple comes out with next. If it's just another 3G phone and no significant improvements, I'm going to consider changing platforms. And I'm going to keep a close eye on Windows 7 Mobile. The only things I see it currently missing is Flash support (supposed to be added in Mango), no DRA app, and no DishPointer app. If those three issues are addressed, I might change platforms.

Exactly. A lot of the bashing I've heard is from people who've either only experienced the old Windows CE or the very early Windows Mobile versions, and haven't bothered to try the new product. Windows 7 Mobile (NODO) is a fantastic system. The next version, (Mango) Is going to be even better. My fiance and I just got back a couple of hours ago from the AT&T store where we exchanged her Pantech Laser (feature phone) for an LG Quantum. It's really an amazing phone. It has a polished, professional tightly integrated feel, as opposed to the half-assed cobbled together feel of Android. It certainly has a ways to go, but it has so much potential, and it's improving rapidly. The Integration with Windows Live, Xbox Live and Exchange is complete and seamless. Myself, I still use my trusty iPhone 3GS. I'm eligible for an upgrade, but I'm going to hold off and see what Apple comes out with next. If it's just another 3G phone and no significant improvements, I'm going to consider changing platforms. And I'm going to keep a close eye on Windows 7 Mobile. The only things I see it currently missing is Flash support (supposed to be added in Mango), no DRA app, and no DishPointer app. If those three issues are addressed, I might change platforms.

Of course, when the early versions suck as bad as they did, it does not give people a lot of incentive to try out the new version. Expectations have been set. But the next time I am at Best Buy I will take a look at a Windows phone just to see what it looks like.

I’ve played with Windows Phone 7 handsets at the stores, specifically the HTC Arrive, HTC Surround and the LG Quantum. Windows Phone 7 has a lot left to be desired. The tile UI is annoying and cartoonish. The interface looks like the Xbox UI in some ways, which makes me want to hurl. The platform obviously lacks apps, which only makes sense. Why would a developer waste their time writing an app for a phone that three people use? Mark my word, not Mango, nor Grapefruit and not even a Banana can give hope to the Lemon called Windows Phone 7.

I find it pretty impressive that both Google and Apple (if you ignore the Newton) were able to enter the mobile market and make it big on their first shot. With all the talent and money Microsoft has, you’d figure they would have had at least one moderately successful mobile platform in the past 13 years instead of a collection of utter failures.

Why should I not bash and just all of crucify Microsoft? They’ve proven themselves inept and to be failures time after time after time for nearly a decade and a half now for mobility, and their latest reiteration is heading down the same path.

AT&T announces Windows Phone Mango plans, 3 new phones and updates

Good news for AT&T users... Plus the 1st 4G Windows Phone as well..

AT&T announces Windows Phone Mango plans, 3 new phones and updates | wpcentral | Windows Phone News, Forums, and Reviews

Today, AT&T has announced its Windows Phone 7.5 plans, including new phones and updates (see earlier AT&T roadmap leak). The three new devices, the HTC Titan, Samsung's Focus S and Focus Flash will all be available in Q4, though no specific date has been specified. Most impressive is the announcement of the first 4G Windows Phone, coming from Samsung.

We've all seen (and drooled over) the HTC Titan, with its gigantic 4.7-inch screen, 1.5GHz processor, 8MP camera with dual LED flash in addition it's front-facing 1.3MP camera. No doubt that the Titan will be highly anticipated and a weclome addition to AT&T's offerings.

As for the Focus S (SGH-i937 aka Kapua) it will "build on the success of the award-winning and highest selling Windows Phone in the U.S., the Samsung Focus." and will sport a 4.3-inch Super AMOLED Plus display, 1.4GHz processor, 8MP rear camera and a 1.3MP front-facing camera, all snuggly tucked into a svelte a 8.55 millimeter profile (the current Focus is 9.9mm thick, for reference)

Finally, the Samsung Focus Flash will be geared for the more price-conscious consumer. While it, too, will have a 1.4GHz processor, the screen measures in a tad smaller than the Focus S, at 3.7 inches, and will only have a 5MP camera. All three will have front-facing cameras, which seems to be a standard for any new, Mango-native devices.

Speaking of which, AT&T also took the opportunity to say that they will be among the first to roll out Mango to their existing lineup of phones. The HTC HD7S, HTC Surround, LG Quantum, and Samsung Focus will all see Mango updates "this fall," which could even come to mean this week.

AT&T Source..
New 4G Windows Smartphones Coming to AT&T

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)