Wind moved my dish: What sat is this?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

WildeComputers

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
So the strong winds we had moved my dish this week. When this happens I blind scan to see where it has been "adjusted" to so I can go out and move it slightly to the east or west depending on the TPs found. Today, my scan came up with a couple odd ones, and I was curious what satellite these were even from.

12485 - V - 20000
12673 - V - 2845

There is nothing on either TP, but I was able to lock both at a low 26% (generally enough to find "something"). I was thinking it was finding a circular satellite, but not sure how my linear LNB could even pick that up.

Just curious...thanks!

where was it before that?

just from looking at the info..the frequencies are off but it looks like 89W (the 2845 I've seen before on 89W)

Sorry, that might help, huh? :)

It was on G18 (123). I'm stuck in my home office working on something for work, otherwise I'd run outside and move it back to G18. If I had to guess, I think it moved slightly to the west...but couldn't find those TPs on any Ku satellite to the west of 123.

I would agree with you, don't think it's too far off from G18, but those TPs seem outside the range I would have expected for Ku satellites around G18. If I get a few minutes tonight, I am going to run outside and give it a tape to the east and see how far off I am from my chicken scratching on my post.

My money is on G23, 121W, and your LNB LO frequency is incorrectly set to 11250 instead of 10750.

If that's the case, try 12173 V 2845.

We had some pretty strong winds this week, in fact my snow fence has a section that's on the ground because three post bent from the wind.

I did blame the kids for moving the dish (although the wife didn't like that too much) and I last used the receiver on Sunday, but will verify the LNB frequency hasn't been changed.

looks like Echostar 9 to me.

At 121W? ;) I think I understated things. There indeed exists a 12173 V 2845, which is exactly 500 MHz lower than 12673 - accounted for nicely by a 11250 minus 10750 LO shift. There is a decent chance I'm wrong, of course, particularly because I haven't been able to find a 20000 SR stream within a few MHz of 11985-V (12485-500). The best I've seen is 12015 - not satisfactory.

I can't tell the difference between G23 and E9, nor do I know if there are actually two co-located satellites there, or one which is co-named, or whatever is going on.

Those are definitely circular polarization signals.

12.485 V @ 20.000 MS/s is obviously from 119W ES 7, but should be 12.486 according to Lyngsat.

The other signal is likely a feed from 121W ES 9, but I cannot see anything on Lyngsat with such a symbol rate. The TP frequency is odd too, but it could be a sidelobe or an error in the processing.

No matter what, it appears that your dish has moved quite a ways off target. I would be doing some re-inforcement of your mast and dish mounting brackets in the future. I have experienced some really strong wind storms here (one with 70 mph winds and several with 50-60 mph gusts and many with 35-50 mph sustained winds over the past 2-4 years). My dish has not moved at all, not even 0.1 degree in all that time. I have never had to reposition my dish following a storm and I really don't consider my setup to be permanent (it is on a tripod). But, I must have it anchored very well.

I would recommend that you look over your installation with great scrutiny as it should not move THAT much unless you went through a tornado!

Radar

I was thinking I had been getting 129W, but I never attempted to adjust the elevation to confirm that. For grins, I ran outside a few times (sans the SF-95) and gave it a "tap" and it would only find two, 12485 - V & H - 20000. Thought that was odd. But it was to the west of my G18 markings.

I move it between AMC4 and G18 so often that I am sure I didn't have it as tight as it needed to be to withstand the winds. I need to do some home-repair on the south-side of my house this year, so eventually it'll be a permanent fixture again.

Thanks for all the replies & input. It was fun to try and figure out where it moved to, a little change of pace. :)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts