Winding down with Dish

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

comfortably_numb

Dogs have owners, cats have staff
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Nov 30, 2011
Kansas City / Las Vegas
Well, I've tried to quit before, but this time I'm really doing it. No hard feelings, no complaints- just time to move on. I'm out of contract and I've decided that between OTA, FTA, Netflix, Youtube TV, and my soon-to-be-delivered AirTV, I figure I can save myself $20+ bucks a month by cutting the Dish cord.

It's been fun, it's been a great 20 years, but I just don't find myself using the service anymore, except to watch movies on the DVR (most of which I have blu-ray copies of, anyhow).

I'll still be lurking around these parts and trying to help other users, as long as you'll have me :D

PS- I have an owned Wally, a dual tuner AirTV dongle (works on the Wally), 2 of the orange Hopper 3 nodes and 2 "54" remotes for sale if anybody is interested.

Last edited:
Good luck. I have not moved from Dish as yet, as their lineup is still better for me than I can find elsewhere. I have streaming (Roku/Firestick), but there are still many channels I cannot get any other way. Plus our internet is not always 100% reliable.

Good luck. I have not moved from Dish as yet, as their lineup is still better for me than I can find elsewhere. I have streaming (Roku/Firestick), but there are still many channels I cannot get any other way. Plus our internet is not always 100% reliable.

The only channel I like that I don't get with YTTV is AXS. I enjoy the concerts they run. I may try Qello as a substitute.

Here are the goodies up for grabs:

White AirTV dual tuner dongle + box
2 hybrid solo nodes for Hopper 3 installs
1 "52" remote
1 "54" remote
1 Wally (owned free and clear)

IMG_0414 (1).JPG

IMG_0417 (1).JPG

I hope all the bluegras "Doom and Gloom" Link opinions didn't wear you down to the sinking ship :shh

The future of satellite TV is unclear
Satellite TV’s Orbit Is Failing Fast
Dish Sheds 334,000 TV Subscribers in Q4, Taking a Hit From HBO and Univision Blackouts
Dish Network's Charlie Ergen in FCC crosshairs over wireless buildout

I always enjoyed your opinions comfortably_numb....:hatsoff
Good Luck on your choices.

Steve
Where's my Cookies ? :hungry2

I hope all the bluegras "Doom and Gloom" Link opinions didn't wear you down to the sinking ship :shh

The future of satellite TV is unclear
Satellite TV’s Orbit Is Failing Fast
Dish Sheds 334,000 TV Subscribers in Q4, Taking a Hit From HBO and Univision Blackouts
Dish Network's Charlie Ergen in FCC crosshairs over wireless buildout

I always enjoyed your opinions comfortably_numb....:hatsoff
Good Luck on your choices.

Steve
Where's my Cookies ? :hungry2

Nah, I am still a huge Dish fan. I've just become so involved with Ku and C-band FTA that I spend very little time watching "regular TV" anymore.

PS- thank you for the kind words :)

Just hung up the phone with them after cancelling service. Our kids watch next to nothing on "regular" TV and my wife and I force ourselves to find/watch more than 3-4 shows each that we really like. Myself, I watch The Big Bang Theory (which is ending anyway) and The Walking Dead. I mentioned cancelling to her and she had zero objections. Almost $80/month ? No way ! And the worst part is close to half of that is just equipment-related fees and we only have a H3 and a Joey. :eek:

He did offer me $480 in "loyalty" credits that would have made our total monthly bill less than $20. I knew they would offer something but admittedly didn't think it would be that much. Still said no... This isn't a complaint about Dish either, it's just that TV in general isn't worth the cost to us anymore.

We've had Dish for 13 straight years going back to '05, then a 2-year stint with Time Warner, and before that it was Dish for 2-3 years (15-16 total). We had a 522 receiver at the time and got our first HDTV. Couldn't stand not being able to receive and/or record HD content and back then you had to buy a 921/922/942 (don't remember anymore) and the out-of-pocket cost ? $1000 !! Hell no ! Got an HD-DVR with Time Warner and great rate for 2 years, knowing it would only last 2 years too. By month 23, I was arranging service with Dish again and the ViP622 HD-DVR.

Every morning when I turn on the TV for the past week I see that my wife has been using the FireTV (for Hulu & Netflix) and not the Joey. My credits expire in April, who knows maybe I will finally be "trimming" the cord.

Television is a habit very much like smoking. When one brand is no longer available the other soon becomes 1st choice. I gave up Dish many years ago in favor of no media bills. Just my own video library, OTA and FTA. I have adjusted completely to the new format. :) But going from Dish to FTA is like switching from Marlboro cigs to rolling your own with cheap Turkish imported tobacco. It really illustrates how much you get from Dish besides a lot of channels to watch. All the behind the scenes equipment support, keeping everything organized and up to date. With FTA , you get to do all that stuff. But now I'm hooked and won't go back ;)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)