Window OTA antenna - revisited

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

polgyver

Creative Tinkerer
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Sep 21, 2010
Toronto
It is more than 5 years ago that I tried receiving TV from window antenna....
Recently I got curious if the antenna's elements need to be electrically connected?
I mean, metal-to metal contact, by squeezing with bolts or soldered.
After all, the frequency of signal is pretty high...
Therefore, I used thin, insulated wires, bought some time ago from hobby craft store,
10 pcs of Printed Circuit Board with one-sided copper foil, and medical glue tape,
of course, temporarily....
and, the antenna worked! I guess, the capacity between PCB foil and the insulated wires was enough to deliver signal.
For stronger stations, it worked with just 2 whiskers. Reversing the vertical wires on the top and bottom did not make any difference.
Pictures, (some-annotated) - follow
thumb_IMG_5055_1024.jpgthumb_IMG_5056_1024.jpgthumb_IMG_5072_1024.jpgthumb_IMG_5073_1024.jpgthumb_IMG_5058_1024.jpgthumb_IMG_5061_1024.jpgthumb_IMG_5065_1024.jpg

Another Marconi here. :)
Hehe, I wish I had Marconi skills... thanks for compliment...
I was just curious, if metallic contacts between antenna parts were mandatory:
now I know, that capacitive coupling is enough. It does not have any practical value,
since making/building an antenna is better done with metallic contact of parts, through soldering, or welding, or bolting the parts together
cheers, polgyver

Reactions: macksat
Not sure what is going on there, but capacitive coupling is not likely. I suspect direct electrical contact would work much better.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts