Window OTA antenna - revisited

polgyver

Creative Tinkerer
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Sep 21, 2010
Toronto
It is more than 5 years ago that I tried receiving TV from window antenna....
Recently I got curious if the antenna's elements need to be electrically connected?
I mean, metal-to metal contact, by squeezing with bolts or soldered.
After all, the frequency of signal is pretty high...
Therefore, I used thin, insulated wires, bought some time ago from hobby craft store,
10 pcs of Printed Circuit Board with one-sided copper foil, and medical glue tape,
of course, temporarily....
and, the antenna worked! I guess, the capacity between PCB foil and the insulated wires was enough to deliver signal.
For stronger stations, it worked with just 2 whiskers. Reversing the vertical wires on the top and bottom did not make any difference.
Pictures, (some-annotated) - follow
thumb_IMG_5055_1024.jpgthumb_IMG_5056_1024.jpgthumb_IMG_5072_1024.jpgthumb_IMG_5073_1024.jpgthumb_IMG_5058_1024.jpgthumb_IMG_5061_1024.jpgthumb_IMG_5065_1024.jpg

Another Marconi here. :)
Hehe, I wish I had Marconi skills... thanks for compliment...
I was just curious, if metallic contacts between antenna parts were mandatory:
now I know, that capacitive coupling is enough. It does not have any practical value,
since making/building an antenna is better done with metallic contact of parts, through soldering, or welding, or bolting the parts together
cheers, polgyver

Reactions: macksat
Not sure what is going on there, but capacitive coupling is not likely. I suspect direct electrical contact would work much better.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts