Windows 10 Question

lacubs

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 9, 2007
Erie, Pa
I upgrade to Windows 10, 3 weeks ago because i lost my osk.exe application, and that is my most important application i use, and the only way i can get back was to upgrade, now my question is on some site where you steam video it's horrible quality. Is that a known problem?

thanks

I have 3 desktops and 2 laptops here with Windows 10 and have not noted any problems with that.

What application are you using to stream the aforementioned video?

Have you checked to see if it has been updated (or even available) for Windows 10?

i use firefox mostly but i have opera installed as well, if i goto like ABC.COM streaming works ok, but if goto like another site AMC.COM its very bad quality, i have automatically update on but haven't received any yet

One of the bits of "magic" that Windows 10 offers is that, unless you dig deep, you won't know that you're getting updates. Windows 10 is in ridiculously frequent contact with Microsoft (more than 1,000 times per day?) and unless the update is really large (aka service pack), Windows is downloading and installing them as it finds them without notice.

My first guess would be that you need to look into your display driver. While your doing that, check your audio driver as well.

If none of that works, don't forget to uninstall Windows 10 before your 30 days is up.

It has been my experience that going to a higher version of Windows is not a good way to fix a broken Windows installation.

ps: a Google search of AMC HD quality returns many complaints of poor quality.

pps: apparently AMC has an app for Windows 10:

http://www.windowscentral.com/amc-gems

i would go back but like i said the whole reason I upgraded was i accidentally mine delete mine (On-Screen Keyboard) and i can't live without that, if i go back i would be without that program
i will be patients and see if the Windows Update will fix it

Seems like there should be ways of restoring the executable that don't involve installing another version of Windows.

Unfortunately, the Windows 7 Startup Repair isn't nearly as comprehensive as the utilities included in XP, 8 and 10.

If the On-Screen Keyboard was a win 7 feature, (Which I think it is) it would have been an easy reinstal via Control Panel - Programs and features - Windows Components - Look under Accessibility
If it was me, I'd roll back to 7

You know windows 10 also has an OSK, I didn't think to ask when this thread was started, why the op can not use that one.

You know windows 10 also has an OSK, I didn't think to ask when this thread was started, why the op can not use that one.
Apparently Windows 10 isn't playing nice with the TS's computer and has caused some streaming video problems on certain sites.

While it was a run-on, you should at least read the whole first sentence of an OP. ;)

check your network drivers, do a manual update from the manufacturer page (most likely the motherboard maker)
the quality could be from low bandwidth

While it was a run-on, you should at least read the whole first sentence of an OP. ;)
I did, I was mainly responding again after FaT Air replied. :)
I don't think the video streaming issue is windows 10 related.

I don't think the video streaming issue is windows 10 related.
Given that the issue appeared post upgrade, it would seem to be a direct result of the Windows 10 upgrade on the TS's computer. Further, I'd be willing to wager that the issue would go away with a Windows 10 uninstall.

As I suggested in my second post, there may be other ways to address the streaming issue, but none of them are more likely to fix the problem than a return to Windows 7.

Being that my understanding of the problems is the streaming issue occurred POST win 10 upgrade, I'd say it's a hardware issue. Win 10 not fully supporting the grafix card, aka sudo support**.
The reason for the OP accepting the upgrade to win 10 was the loss of the OSK.
Therefore my reasoning for my opinion. Revert to win7 and reinstall OSK ( if necessary )
**I've seen it, sudo support, on other upgraded computers here, mainly older laptops, so it exists. Reverting early win7 computers fixed 'new' video problems and a couple of printer/scanners. MS's 'automated compatibility check' SUX rocks IMHO on early win7 equipment,
If yours is an early model win7 - Rollback to win7 now, think you only have 30 days, or you're STUCK with a computer that barely works, and/or you may have to get a new printer, scanner, or whatever.
Re-install OSK as outlined in my previous post if necessary.(OSK is there in Microsoft or Windows components)
Have not seen the problem when the computer upgraded, was OEM win8 or newer. Or a win7 machine mfg/sold sometime after late summer / fall of 14.
One laptop was so horrid, and the customer had waited more than the 30 days before contacting me, that the ONLY alternative was an upgrade to LinuxMint/Cinnamon. Outcome? They again love their computer.
That's my story, and I'm stickin to it.
Upgrading from win8, I got a horror story there too, but I'll not put it here.

ok, i think i figured out the video for now! my video will only play good in Microsoft Edge, and i can live with that. witch makes no sense at all

Have you checked to see if there are windows 10 drivers for your graphics card?

Have you checked to see if there are windows 10 drivers for your graphics card?
Don't forget the sound driver(s).

It wouldn't hurt to check all the other drivers too as some manufacturers aren't set up for automated Windows Update installation.

Don't forget the sound driver(s).

It wouldn't hurt to check all the other drivers too as some manufacturers aren't set up for automated Windows Update installation.
Very True. I was addressing his video issue. If he decides to remain with 10, he needs to check everything.
May make or break the decision, to remain with win 10 or not.

I wonder if one copies the win7 restore files to a CD/DVD before microsoft deletes them? Put them back to do a restore after 30 days?

Think that even checking for drivers, if they are unsigned, they wont work or even install. Or they'll be 'basic' (sudo) drivers enabling only the basic functionality.

M-Soft should be sued for their 'forced' upgrade to 10. I know a couple of people that swear that they DID NOT do it themselves.
http://www.pcworld.com/article/3077...-microsofts-forced-upgrade-push-rolls-on.html

M-Soft should be sued for their 'forced' upgrade to 10. I know a couple of people that swear that they DID NOT do it themselves.
As of last "Patch Tuesday" (May 12th), Windows 10 became a "Recommended Update" so anyone who was set to receive Recommended Updates was henceforth scheduled (without any kind of overt notification) to install Windows 10. Apparently at that point you had to purposely open the Windows 10 Upgrade dialog that you had been routinely cancelling all along and expressly decline the "upgrade" before the scheduled time or the update would begin without warning at the appointed time or, as was often the case, the next boot-up after the appointed time had passed.

There have been other situations where Microsoft has forced an issue by changing the status of an update (often with Service Packs) but none of them has been quite so drastic. If they were worried about people holding back on Windows Updates before, they've really inseminated the canine now.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts