Windows & 64Bit Windows 8 or 9 128Bit

"IIRC a recent study of server CPU utilization claimed the number to be in single digit % nationwide"

I'll bet that percentage will jump when solid state "disks" come into general use.

That's what I was asking myself when I got my first PC with 256K of RAM and a 10MB hard drive: What am I going to do with all that disk space and processing power?! I was able to fill up half of that hard drive, but couldn't figure out what to do with the other 5 Megabytes of it ! :D

You had 256K of RAM? That was a lot compared to my first computer with a HDD. It only had 16K of RAM.:D It also had a 10MB HDD in it that I eventually put stacker on to give me more space.

You had 256K of RAM? That was a lot compared to my first computer with a HDD. It only had 16K of RAM.:D It also had a 10MB HDD in it that I eventually put stacker on to give me more space.

Your first computer had a HDD, man, all I had was a 5 1/4" floppy, and I really do not consider myself to be that old.

my second computer had a pair of 3 1/2" floppy drives, still no HDD.

I tell you though, I really miss the mid 80's computing. I would still love to be running a BBS.

Your first computer had a HDD, man, all I had was a 5 1/4" floppy, and I really do not consider myself to be that old.

my second computer had a pair of 3 1/2" floppy drives, still no HDD.

I tell you though, I really miss the mid 80's computing. I would still love to be running a BBS.

That's not what I said. I said the first come that did have a HDD, not my first computer had a HDD.

My first computer was the Texas Instruments TI 99/4. :D

If you did, you would not have written:

"unless your[sic] running a application that is written for 64bit or 128bit you really don't gain any advantage"

Like I said there are some advantages running 64bit over 32bit my main point was on the application side. Like I said most folks are not going to be running 64bit apps and right now there are not that many written that most folks use. Enough Said!

That's not what I said. I said the first come that did have a HDD, not my first computer had a HDD.

Man that is old! Don't know too many people that have ran something that old but just goes to show how long these things have been around.

Man that is old! Don't know too many people that have ran something that old but just goes to show how long these things have been around.

Yes it is old. It had cartridges instead of floppys.

This bring back memories :)

994.jpg

That reminds me of an Aquarius keyboard that I used growing up that I connected to the television and used BASIC programming. It showed copyright 1982 Microsoft Corporation on it everytime I started it up.

I was at an auction last saturday, and they were selling some old handset modems. The part that shocked me the most, was that people were actually bidding on them. Then there was an old computer looking thing, I have no idea what is was, but it went for just under 300 bucks.

The other thing about these auctions is the amount that laptops go for, old pentium M processors, 256 meg ram and maybe 40 gig hard drive laptops with 14" monitors, sometimes go for 250 bucks. and the HD is wiped clean, no OS or programs. This is one that blows my mind everytime.

Very appropriate for this thread: the first 16-bit home computer when Apple & Commodore still had 8-bit CPUs.

Regarding 32-bit vs. 64-bit: Simple, I would install 64-bit. At the very worse, any old 32-bit app can be installed to run under a 32-bit virtual machine. Or, better yet, upgrade the application to a 64-bit compatible version.

Most 32-bit apps written for x86 can run just fine in a 64-bit version of Windows. This is why Microsoft created WOW (Windows on Windows) when XP 64-bit came out.

That's not a fact. The fact is, there are a couple really big advantages to running a 64-bit Windows operating system even if all of your applications are 32-bit, which are pretty obvious to anyone with a technical background.

1) Under 64-bit Windows, a 32-bit application has access to a full 4GB of virtual address space in user mode. Under 32-bit Windows, a 32-bit application's virtual address space is normally split 2GB user space/2GB kernel space, or 3GB/1GB if you link your executable with /LARGEADDRESSAWARE and boot your system with the /3GB option. If your app needs a lot of memory, but hasn't been made to run as a 64-bit application yet, this is huge.

2) Much larger working set when running multiple applications. All the applications I run are 32-bit, but when I'm running multiple big apps at the same time, the fact that I can utilize a lot more memory with 64-bit Windows means it pages a lot less, and therefore performs much better.

Correctomundo! :)