Windows 7: A rebadged, much better Vista?

They are basically the same, a few changes but same NT kernel; Vista is 6.0 and Win7 is 6.1

And instead of being a service patch for that ".1" update coding , it will be advertised and sold as a new OS for $$$ (as I mentioned in a earlier post). :)

We don't know the planned release date. But based on when the betas came out, this is typical spacing for microsoft NT operating systems.

Since Vista has been widely criticized for driver incompatibilities problems, not to mention having to invest in new hardware for the folks who had perfectly good working but old hardware among other things, Windows 7 will be a parachute for MS, and hopefully take away the bad impression for the over five year in development operating system flop.

I Hope that Windows 7 will be easier for people to transition to from XP without too much pain.

And instead of being a service patch for that ".1" update coding , it will be advertised and sold as a new OS for $$$ (as I mentioned in a earlier post). :)

... AND? that has nothing to do with what I was quoting you on before about maybe Win7 will finally make people switch. I am saying why? Its not going to be that new. Regardless of if its significantly better or not in the real world; most users; especially businesses will stay with what they have until 110%FORCED to switch.

Windows 7 will make Vista a short lived operating system like “ME”; It’s no wonder that I as well as others have referred Vista as “ME-2”. Maybe Windows 7 will make those corporate people that have been Vista hesitant finally make the transition from XP.

... AND? that has nothing to do with what I was quoting you on before about maybe Win7 will finally make people switch. I am saying why? Its not going to be that new. Regardless of if its significantly better or not in the real world; most users; especially businesses will stay with what they have until 110%FORCED to switch.

I totally agree with you. The "And" was just me adding my personal two cents to your statement. :)

Other than perhaps the touch screen feature, the improvement to make it run faster, and perhaps less of a resource hog I agree it's not going to be that new; but MS will be marketing it as such in order to move the corporate world to transition off of Windows 2000 and XP, which they could not do completely with Vista along with the scare tactics of announcing the ending of support for those OSs.

I totally agree with you. The "And" was just me adding my personal two cents to your statement. :)

Other than perhaps the touch screen feature, the improvement to make it run faster, and perhaps less of a resource hog I agree it's not going to be that new; but MS will be marketing it as such in order to move the corporate world to transition off of Windows 2000 and XP, which they could not do completely with Vista along with the scare tactics of announcing the ending of support for those OSs.

Or they'll be marketing it as such because.... it's better? They've ended support on all previous OS's at one time or another, it's by no means a scare tactic, and is a reasonable business decision and absurd to keep up support on product you haven't been selling for x amount of time.

How are you liking Windows 7, or are you just watching videos, reading comments and passing judgment? Is that the same you've done with Vista, the OS that I've been running on modern hardware since it launched and had next to no problems with?

Just because the press latched onto Vista being horrible, doesn't mean it lives up to their hype. It is certainly nothing like the horribad degrading-over-time OS that Windows ME was.

Or they'll be marketing it as such because.... it's better? They've ended support on all previous OS's at one time or another, it's by no means a scare tactic, and is a reasonable business decision and absurd to keep up support on product you haven't been selling for x amount of time.

How are you liking Windows 7, or are you just watching videos, reading comments and passing judgment? Is that the same you've done with Vista, the OS that I've been running on modern hardware since it launched and had next to no problems with?

Just because the press latched onto Vista being horrible, doesn't mean it lives up to their hype. It is certainly nothing like the horribad degrading-over-time OS that Windows ME was.

I did do a beta test on Vista and had several posts several years back on the usage results.

I am using Windows 7 (32 Bit) now on one of my spare systems, and taking it through various hardware and some software tests.

The beta is good till August, so with updates and additional updated ISO downloads I'll post some comments. :)

I'm using windows 7 beta right now. I am dual booting vista and the new windows. Windows 7 seems very snappy. Bootup is very fast compared to vista. I have a quad core q6600 processor and 8 gb of memory.

Question on how I dual boot. I currently run Vista 32-bit and this morning I downloaded Windows 7 64-bit. How do I set up my computer to boot both versions?

1. allocate/free some space on a drive for win 7 , i think it's a min of 15gb.
2. when you intsall windows 7 dont pick upgrade, pick custom. Then it will ask you where to put it, put it in the space you just created in 1 and you should get dual boot.

I tried Windows 7

I downloaded Windows 7 beta from Microsoft and installed it on my HP. I know it is a beta and will have a few bugs but what I didn't expect was this. 1) I had to download and install beta display drivers from nvidia. The ones that work with Vista will not work with Windows 7. 2) I had to download beta audio drivers from Realtek. Vista drivers will not work in Windows 7. 3) I had to download a beta version of virus software that expires before the beta version of Windows 7. I was using Windows Live OneCare. It will not even work with Microsofts own beta system and a beta version for Windows 7 isn't available. That irritated me enough to send feed back to Microsoft letting them know that it was not acceptable to me to have to give up Virus protection that I paid for and use one from someone else. They should have had their own virus software ready for the beta release. These are the same problems that I went through with Vista. It took nvidia quite a while to get drivers that worked right and now here we are starting all over again. The realtek drivers that I use in Vista work but not as good as they should. It took many updates from them to get drivers that work fairly well. Now here we go starting all over again. I will not be suckered in to installing Windows 7 (final release version) until until I know that all drivers work properly.

I downloaded Windows 7 beta from Microsoft and installed it on my HP. I know it is a beta and will have a few bugs but what I didn't expect was this. 1) I had to download and install beta display drivers from nvidia. The ones that work with Vista will not work with Windows 7. 2) I had to download beta audio drivers from Realtek. Vista drivers will not work in Windows 7. 3) I had to download a beta version of virus software that expires before the beta version of Windows 7. I was using Windows Live OneCare. It will not even work with Microsofts own beta system and a beta version for Windows 7 isn't available. That irritated me enough to send feed back to Microsoft letting them know that it was not acceptable to me to have to give up Virus protection that I paid for and use one from someone else. They should have had their own virus software ready for the beta release. These are the same problems that I went through with Vista. It took nvidia quite a while to get drivers that worked right and now here we are starting all over again. The realtek drivers that I use in Vista work but not as good as they should. It took many updates from them to get drivers that work fairly well. Now here we go starting all over again. I will not be suckered in to installing Windows 7 (final release version) until until I know that all drivers work properly.

What video card are you using that Windows Update didnt have the drivers for you? Nvidia's own site even says to use Windows Update for the drivers, as they've supplied the beta drivers to MS or whatever mechanism is used to update drivers there.

I've installed vista drivers fine on Windows 7 and they worked fine so your blanket statements about drivers from Vista not working on Windows 7 are wrong. The Vista drivers in this case worked fine, it's the sound card that appears to be failing, so I am using onboard 5.1 on my desktop now.

I don't think it's unreasonable that Onecare isn't ready for Windows 7 btw. Not all software will work, especially stuff like virus scanners that entrench themselves in the OS.

Discounting my failing sound card, I've had zero driver problems with Windows 7 on modern hardware.

I loaded Linux distributions on both of my computers and never looked back. I'm not a Microsoft hater or anything but linux works great for my situation. It's free, does not require hardware upgrades for older machines, easy to use and opens most Word (.doc) and Excel (.xls) files nicely when using open office.

Well i have a realtek hd audio and nvidia video card and Win 7 supported them out of the box. I agree i dont get all the apps for nvidia and Realtek but they work fine, even supporting dual monitors.

I do completely agree with the virus protection, seems a bit of gap as you will probably test ie8 at the same time.

Well i have a realtek hd audio and nvidia video card and Win 7 supported them out of the box. I agree i dont get all the apps for nvidia and Realtek but they work fine, even supporting dual monitors.

I do completely agree with the virus protection, seems a bit of gap as you will probably test ie8 at the same time.
Well my nvidia video wouldn't work on my HP system when I installed Win7, I figured it might be a driver issue but I didn't even try to figure it out. I just installed Win7 on my Gateway laptop that also has Nvidia graphics and it works fine.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts