Windows 7 gets a name: Windows 7

Poke

Pub Member / Supporter
Original poster
Dec 3, 2003
OK
TG Daily - Windows 7 gets a name: Windows 7

Redmond (WA) – No more rumors about Vista SE: Windows 7 is all about simplicity and that’s why Windows 7 will simply be called Windows, Microsoft announced today.

Mike Nash, corporate vice president for Windows product management at Microsoft, had the honor of announcing the official name of the new client Windows: Windows 7. Nash noted that he was excited to show a new product “to the world for the first time” and that he is “very excited about the opportunity to tell [people] more about Windows 7 in the coming weeks.” But clearly there is not much excitement in the name of the new Windows.

According to Nash, the name “Windows 7” is simple: The company decided against a date in the name (such as “Windows 2008”) since the company does not ship a new Windows every year and it decided against an “aspirational” name (such as “XP” or “Vista”) since it is not really an entirely new release, but just an enhancement over Vista. “Simply put, this is the seventh release of Windows, so therefore "Windows 7" just makes sense,” Nash said.

Ok, we get it. But does it have to be that boring? Is it just us or is this the most boring Windows name since Windows 3.11? Perhaps all of Microsoft’s creativity got stuck in the current $300 million Windows marketing campaign? If it is simplicity that Microsoft wants to express, “Vista SE” or “Vista Enhanced” would have made more sense. But judging by the speed Microsoft is developing Windows 7 and considering the new name it seems that Microsoft intends to close the Vista chapter as quickly as possible.

We are sure that Microsoft will have no problems to sell the new name, but even for a transitional product that Windows 7 seems to be, the name is a bit out of place and not consistent with anything Microsoft chose for Windows in the past. Nash noted that “While I know there have been a few cases at Microsoft when the codename of a product was used for the final release, I am pretty sure that this is a first for Windows.”

Microsoft will provide a first glimpse at Windows 7 at the upcoming PDC 2008 event, at which the company will be handing out pre-beta releases of the software. Windows 7 was originally scheduled to be released in 2010, but apparently has been pulled into H2 2009. According to our sources, Windows 7 will be available in time for the 2009 Christmas season.

We previously learned that Windows 7 will be based on the kernel of the Windows Server 2008 kernel, which is an evolution of the Windows Vista kernel. Windows 7 will also keep Vista’s driver model. PDC 2008 will have a strong focus on the new operating system: The majority of Windows 7 sessions will discuss graphics topics, performance and energy efficiency as well as communication services.

Doesn't sound like it really fixes the stupidities of Vista.

Go Linux. Or anything else.

Well it looks like it will fix the issues folks had with vista and from what I have read sounds like it will run allot better. Overall I had very little issues with Vista and 7 looks like it will be fine as well.

This site has some SS of Windows 7 so forth..

http://windows7news.com/

T“Simply put, this is the seventh release of Windows, so therefore "Windows 7" just makes sense,”

I know that I've owned a windows 2 variant (floppies/black&white interface), windows 3.11, windows 95, windows 97 (actually, I think this was a repackaged 95 with updates/fixes), windows 98, windows me, windows 2000, windows xp, and windows vista. Even if we discount the superfluous '97 version, it seems like we've already seen more than 6 releases - unless they're saying that some of these versions that they've coerced me into buying/supporting are really just repackaged old OS's (oops, we know that is true, but still).

I think stating that the next version will be the 7th version leads consumers to wonder what they've been upgrading to. From a marketing perspective, it seems like a "name" and not a release number makes the upgrades seem more "real" and more valuable to the consumer. But then again, I'm not a multi-cajillionaire, so my thoughts really don't mean much to MS.

"Windows 97" was what Windows 98 was to be called, before the delivery time slipped.

This is the breakdown (as best I can tell)

Windows
Windows "2"
Windows 3 (3.11/NT3.x)
Windows 4 (95/98/NT 4.0/Me)
Windows 5 (2000/XP)
Windows 6 (Vista)
Windows 7 (erm, well, 7)

Actually, wiki's chart here probably shows it better.

Last edited:
I have Vista Business at home. Should I upgrade it to Ultimate 64-bit or wait for Windows 7?

Wife has Vista Home Premium 64-bit now.

What is bad is that instead of doing Vista Second Edition and fixing Vista for minimal/no charge they will charge everyone again for an upgrade. It looks no more than a tweaked vista.

Oh great, set your clocks now... tons of hardware compatibility problems to hit in 2Q2009! Ditto for software that doesn't like the new system......

UNLESS they are merely rebranding the core system to get away from the Vista marketing nightmare..... Great thinking! If the brand is hurting sales, um, change the name of the brand.

Apple's new ads are devastating..... A pile of money for advertising and a few bundles to repair Vista.... The Mr. PC realizes that it isn't enough money to fix Vista and just gives up and pushes more towards advertising.

Wow,.... Brilliant counter to all those Microsoft ads....

Hey, I still use a PC... Hard to ignore an 85% market share, but it sounds like Apple will keep nibbling away....

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts