Windows laptop sales sink...

John Kotches

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Nov 21, 2003
Troy, IL (STL Area)
This is a CNet article discussing the sinking of sales in Windows Laptops. Win8 cheerleading aside, if this trend continues it could signal troubles for one of MS' big profit centers. I'm not sure of the analysis though -- and that's a key piece of the puzzle.

I think the low-end market that was serviced by netbooks has been taken over by tablet sales -- which are overwhelmingly iOS and Android devices.

IMO, the future for MS is obviously much less certain than it was even 5 years ago as the "PostPC" era starts to take over.

Last edited:
MS appears to be shifting now to a new OS every year with low price updates to try to innovate in the tablet sector.

MS appears to be shifting now to a new OS every year with low price updates to try to innovate in the tablet sector.

I still say this is a BAD move in regards to the corporate sector. No company will want to keep upgrading every year to keep up.

I still say this is a BAD move in regards to the corporate sector. No company will want to keep upgrading every year to keep up.

I don't work in desktop support. Our company went from Vista (unusual adoption in the corporate space) to Windows 7... don't know if they'll pull the trigger on 8.

I have workstations setup at each of my clients for me to have access to documents I need. The City of Tulsa just made the jump to Windows XP from Windows 2000 at the end of 2011. Some of my smaller clients just made the move to Windows 7 this year. They have so much proprietary software, that I don't see any of them making another move for quite some time.

Yeal allot of cool new hardware coming geared to wards Win8 so over this year and the next things will begin to shift.

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/Windows-Blue-Windows-9-Modern-UI-PCBeta-Windows-Phone,20055.html

Next years version supposedly already in Alpha. I suppose they are going to go like Apple and do fairly minor releases every year.

Yeah some of those things I think you can already do with the tiles I think their just adding a few more options to how you can shape them is all like you can on their phones. But overall I really like it that they have came down on their pricing so forth. But yeah the next 2yrs will be interesting to see what happens. :)

Smartphone and tablet sales and marketshare indicate that Google is implementing their strategy well.

MS? Not the rosiest of times in Redmond.

Yeah I think MS will be fine and the marker share will shift Google I think knows this. People are starting to see how they do things and with the FTC mess and other things they do to wards MS they know MS is the real threat here. So I see Google holding their own but declineing some to in the next year or so. Just my 2 cents. :)

This will change over time. Intel for example just announced that to use their Ultrabook moniker and hardware they will require it use the Intel Wireless Display technology as well as a touchscreen. Net effect of things like this will be a reduction in prices. Notebooks were already trending poorly, Windows 8 did little to help that as higher priced products hit the market when people were so used to getting a low end notebook for dirt cheap (as the article states).

As economies of scale improve so will the notebook sales. Welcome to the era of the touchscreen, thanks MS.

meStevo:

It's not retroactive, so it will be to use the newer chipsets with the lower TDP and call it an ultrabook. Nothing to stop companies from using current designs with current chipsets that meet the ultrabook criteria that way.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)