Windows Media 9 HD 1080p Anamorphic @ 6.8Mbps! voOm needs WM9HD compression!

There are about 19 movies on wm9. Except for T2, all are national geographic junk. Whoopee!
Check out this DVD, it comes out 4/20. This is a dual disk, WM9 set; Step Into Liquid high definition - complete movie presented in Microsoft Windows Media High Definition Video

I guess the big deal about WM9 is that technologically is a very very good codec, and it is open and supported by SMPTE and other orgs and is plug and play into all the different HD editing gear. It will be included with the "required" codecs for the next version of DVD and for once, Microsoft's licensing terms look to be reasonable. Hardware to support it, h264, and the others are already making it to market in various consumer DVD players, and will all be standard in the HDDVD players in 2005/2006.

:) Good news for those concerned with previous stated items!!!!!!!!! :)

ATI is also comming out next month with an All-in-One Wonder solution with an onboard HDTV Tunder and HD decoder chip!!! Read below and what NVidia just came out with. I'm sure ATI will compete. This is very very very exciting.

According to nVidia, the 6800's Video Processing Engine (VPE) is a quad-issue (address/scalar/vector/branch) processor with a 16-way SIMD vector unit, which supports both dynamic branching and integer processing. It's a dedicated unit, too, so doesn't simply repurpose the ALUs used by the pixel and vertex shader engines.

Here's the highlight reel of the VPE's supported feature set:

Integrated TV-encoder
HDTV Transport stream handling
HDTV Output (720p, 1080i, 480p, CGMS)
MPEG 2 Decode / Encode – SD & HD resolutions
MPEG 4 Decode / Encode
WMV9 Decode, including HD resolutions. (WMV encode may be added later)
DiVX Decode / Encode
Inverse Telecine (3:2 pulldown)
Motion Adaptive De-interlacing
High Quality Scaling
Video de-blocking
With support for HDTV output, an integrated TV encoder and encode/decode support for major codecs built into the VPE, it is clear nVidia is looking to challenge ATI for video feature supremacy. It also seems to suggest that nVidia is setting the table for some major improvements for its Personal Cinema line of products (can you say "HDTV"?) Personal Cinema has been nVidia's attempt to compete with ATI's All-in-Wonder offerings, and is a market segment where ATI has been dominant.

Actually, for the amount of money you can buy the MyHD card for on EBay, it's worth it for the 1080i DVD playback alone. Not many 1080i DVD players out there for that price. A lot of the MyHD crowd use it just for that.

Not having local OTA sucks.

Lob

Er... why? For even cheaper than the MyHD, you can just get a Radeon with DVI out and a decent player like TT. The DVD interface on the MyHD isn't that hot, and you can't do any image postprocessing.

-MP

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts