Windows Vista SP1 Info

Lord knows it needs help. I had to buy two Vista Business laptops. What a dog! Slow, slow, slow! Poor driver support, difficulties getting it to work properly on our domain- and did I mention it is s-l-o-w? Slow to boot, slow to respond to a mouse click, slow to load a program, slow to generate a dialog box, slow to recognize a network, and gawd-awfully slow to wake up. The hard drive never stops running for long- what's that all about?

And a new install of Office 2007 has had inexplicable Word crashes. Can't seem to get Outlook 2007 under Vista to reliably connect to servers for email. One laptop has had oddball resolution changes that can't be fixed and stay fixed (since it was once hooked up to an external monitor), and Dell has been of no help. It's frustrated me and our outside support company.

Outlook 2007 has lots of issues itself, not related to Vista.

In my experience Vista x64 is much more reliable than x86, and the more memory you can feed it the better. But just load one crappy driver on either and you're asking for problems. Make sure all your drivers are up to date. And if the vendor is too sorry to come out with a compatible WHQL signed driver, gripe at them till they do something.

It sees a Canon copier/fax/printer (2020?) on the network, but no driver. But that's the least of our problems, we've got plenty of printers.

Damn thing is almost unusable. In November, our accounting program comes out with an update to make it "Vista compatible." Probably slow that down, too.

Outlook 2007 has lots of issues itself, not related to Vista.

In my experience Vista x64 is much more reliable than x86, and the more memory you can feed it the better. But just load one crappy driver on either and you're asking for problems. Make sure all your drivers are up to date. And if the vendor is too sorry to come out with a compatible WHQL signed driver, gripe at them till they do something.
I tried a demo version and did not keep it long. I am sure there are people here that may disagree but running xp service pack 2 with outlook express 6 is just fine for me. That demo version of office 2007 professional did nothing but cause problems. I am sure that with more knowledgeable computer savvy people they could have fixed all my issues but why bother my older stuff works just fine.:)

I have been using it for about 8 months now with no real problems. Just a few little issues that a little bit of googling I have been able to solve. But i'm mostly running open source software... nothing real specific that I have to worry about being compatible with vista. Then again, I also still have an XP partition i HAVE to use to install wildblue... stupid provisioning doesnt work well with vista

Vista is a poor excuse for an OS. What a piss poor rollout!!!!!!!! And thats a HUGE understatement. People are actually paying money to go back to XP and some of these people are cheap. I hope Vista SP1 solves software incompatability issues and that XP SP3 solves driver issues where some of these new computers that came with Vista without XP support will finally work on XP if I don't want to be forced into using Vista that does not work with half the programs I need including a printer that I have.

I thought a lot of the Vista-hating was just an extension of the usual Microsoft hating that comes along with a new MS product, but after using Vista for a month now, from a layman's point at least, I see what they are talking about. I just don't see the need for it. I haven't found ANYTHING Vista does that is better or faster than XP was. If I knew for sure I could make this system work under XP, and I had the two benjamins for it, I'd load XP on here. But I am too ignorant of all the issues that might arise to risk it. Which is I am sure that's what microsoft intended.

Bring on SP1.:up

Lord knows it needs help. I had to buy two Vista Business laptops. What a dog! Slow, slow, slow! Poor driver support, difficulties getting it to work properly on our domain- and did I mention it is s-l-o-w? Slow to boot, slow to respond to a mouse click, slow to load a program, slow to generate a dialog box, slow to recognize a network, and gawd-awfully slow to wake up. The hard drive never stops running for long- what's that all about?

And a new install of Office 2007 has had inexplicable Word crashes. Can't seem to get Outlook 2007 under Vista to reliably connect to servers for email. One laptop has had oddball resolution changes that can't be fixed and stay fixed (since it was once hooked up to an external monitor), and Dell has been of no help. It's frustrated me and our outside support company.

I have Vista Business on a Laptop does not run that slow for me like your describing. I also run Office 2007 have had some minor issues nothing major just make sure you have the latest updates for Office 2007 and the same for Vista. Also for Vista you can run it on a P4 but is better on a Duo Core CPU with at least a gig of ram if not 2 gig.

I have Vista Business on a Laptop does not run that slow for me like your describing. I also run Office 2007 have had some minor issues nothing major just make sure you have the latest updates for Office 2007 and the same for Vista. Also for Vista you can run it on a P4 but is better on a Duo Core CPU with at least a gig of ram if not 2 gig.

I agree. My business PC has not been upgraded yet, but I have a home PC I use a lot for business-type stuff, and it runs Vista and Office 2007 just fine - well, at least since I upgraded the RAM to 2 GB - it was pretty darn slow before that, but RAM is cheap...

It sees a Canon copier/fax/printer (2020?) on the network, but no driver. But that's the least of our problems, we've got plenty of printers.

Damn thing is almost unusable. In November, our accounting program comes out with an update to make it "Vista compatible." Probably slow that down, too.

Well 1st canon had got just some issues with their drivers I have delt with them and its more on their end. Does not matter if its XP or Vista the driver will only be as good as the manufacture makes them. Some do a better job with their drivers than others. As far as accounting program again that depends again on the software and how well prepared they are for Vista. Some do better job than others just depends they all vary.

Quick question...Anybody know how to get contact info in Outlook 07 to sync with Windows contacts in Vista? Seems like they should share same info.

I agree with that... The Office version 2007 is so complicated that it confuses so many users. Mostly the students, they are having a hard time in learning how to navigate the program...the older version is much user friendly though

I have several gripes with Vista; but it isn't performance. In fairness the "slowest" machine I'm running it on is a Core 2 Duo @ 2.4 GHz and all of the machines have 2GB of RAM or better.

I have had software issues; driver issues; stability issues etc etc etc. I hate UAC -- if I went to "f" up my machine; let me. I can't get the integrated nForce Gigabit e-net to run on one machine at Gbit speeds; had to install a Netgear GA311 to get past that.

Hmm -- the dual NIC bug bit me in the hindquarters. Supposedly only true if you are streaming media at the same time with multiple active NICs. No one can explain why I got it with a single Gbit NIC which maxed out at 40 Mbits/second and NO streaming media active.

My wife has had no issues; but I'm more of a power user than she is.

Cheers,

The more I deal with this, the more I think it's "A Windows Too Far."

From the article: "SP1 speeds up a few operations and enhances third-party program compatibility, but it changes little you'll notice in your day-to-day experience." Just doesn't sound like it's fixed the speed issues or strange behavior (like waiting and waiting for it to "see" the internet, or even the network itself sometimes) even if they do say it's "a bit more responsive."

I have used vista on my new laptop since July. I have not problems with vista and actually like it better than XP. When I first got the computer it was slow because of all the crap software that Toshiba and Microsoft put on the computer wanting you to buy. Also the user safety settings that Vista has are just plain stupid. After you turn all that off the core operating system is not bad. Although this is just my opinion.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts