Windows XP End of Support

madmadworld

Official TV Watcher
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Apr 7, 2006
up on the roof in SinCity
just me ? got 2 i use a bit, just for surfing & email no $$ usage at all. worries or no worry ?
total bull and never disliked Microsoft :hula: for anything till now.

Microsoft "support" is a matter of great discussion. Any other vendor would be fired for letting a bug escape more than ten years of scrutiny.

Microsoft has probably already implemented some plan of explicitly hobbling XP but until then, you can turn off the warnings (or better yet, don't install the warning update).

Be sure you're using third party anti-virus/anti-malware tools to protect you from any bugs that Microsoft couldn't fix in the first ten years.

They've actually extended the end of support date a few times for XP, they'd originally planned to end it quite a while ago. I don't really use XP much either anymore, don't really have any worries over the EOS for it.

If they keep supporting XP, who will buy their newest and greatest [sarcasm] OS? :D

just me ? got 2 i use a bit, just for surfing & email no $$ usage at all. worries or no worry ?
total bull and never disliked Microsoft :hula: for anything till now.

The surfing will get you. The only way I would trust XP past the 8th is if I only went to certain bookmarked sites and never searched or went to an unfamiliar site.

Even reputable sites can occasionally have bad ads on them that can hijack your computer.

Used just for surfing and email? Install Ubuntu along side of it (dual boot) Surf with very little concern. Firefox- it's in there. Thunderbird email client also. If needed, you can still boot Xp. I've done that on my laptops. Only run windoze when needed. Ubuntu linux can access the windows partition for pictures, videos, and documents if needed. (Window cannot access the Linux partition) Can also join my windows Home network and share. (via Samba)
I have a win98SE machine that occasionally goes on the web.
"firefox" still works in my win98 machine. Think(??) it's ver 1.6 or so.
"various players" only need one - VLC

with 20 -28% of online users still in xp systems. it makes little understanding of all this pushing them off the cliff. why in the name of a dollar have they not offered support for $$ a few years back ? to cover the cost of the workers at MS doing these updates. millions of users tipping $10- 25 a year should cover it...... no?

where are the lawyers filing a injunction to to make them work out something ?

on another note
how is a few nerds working out of a basement with this Linux stuff are not totally vulnerable to attacks by the some nerds in another basement ?
mind blowing

Another Data Breach Crisis Looms as Microsoft’s D-Day for XP Forces Security Scramble

The AVAST database shows that 23.6% of its more than 200 million users is still running Windows XP.

Home users are not the only ones who will be affected by the Windows XP support cutoff, according to reports*, 95% of ATMs in the world still run on Windows XP. These ATMs along with businesses still using Windows XP on their PCs need to be updated, or at the very least seek alternative protection.

http://blog.avast.com/2014/03/17/an...osofts-d-day-for-xp-forces-security-scramble/

Microsoft is still selling extended support for XP to businesses. One would hope that these banks have paid for that support.

How about all those cash machines owned by individuals/small business, not a big bank, doubt many there can afford the extended service plan? For the crappy video text that I've seen an most ATM's I was surprised to read that most, and that's somewhere near 97%, ran Xp.
ubuntu-guide-for-displaced-windows-users
Make Ubuntu look like win 7 (My question is, why?)
how is a few nerds working out of a basement with this Linux stuff are not totally vulnerable to attacks by the some nerds in another basement ?
Because the kernel itself is more secure than windoze. Plus- Users also do not have, by default, root privileges unlike windows default users ( administrator )

Another nice thing about Ubuntu, startup time is a fraction of Xp. Same with shutdown.
Win 8 is quick, but that's because it is not a full shutdown, only suspension/hibernate.
Laptop battery lasts twice as long running Ubuntu than win. Less dependence on the HDD. So that will last longer.
Got a comp with a bad HDD? Boot Ubuntu from the disk. It doesn't need the HDD. (Faster if it has it tho)

with 20 -28% of online users still in xp systems. it makes little understanding of all this pushing them off the cliff. why in the name of a dollar have they not offered support for $$ a few years back ? to cover the cost of the workers at MS doing these updates. millions of users tipping $10- 25 a year should cover it...... no?

where are the lawyers filing a injunction to to make them work out something ?

on another note
mind blowing

Most of those computers are in China, India or other countries where they pirated the copy.

If it were me I would get off of XP before next week due to MS not providing security updates.

I think XP has some inherent, non-addressable flaws.

My last ( I think) XP machine is now a dual boot to Linux Mint. Haven't even tried to go back to XP since installing Mint, but have been so busy I haven't even finished installing Pascal on it.

Madmad- Does this mean I have to dig a basement and work out of there?

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Because the kernel itself is more secure than windoze. Plus- Users also do not have, by default, root privileges unlike windows default users ( administrator )
)

sorry don't even know what you are saying. hear kernel think of corn.

like harshness said..... 10+ years to lock this up and now :wtf:

if i bought a car.. or whatever and every Tuesday it needed service :wtf:
i've had a Corvair & a Pinto in my lifetime did not need service every Tuesday. :wtf:

one unit is also my HTPC audio/video editor and God knows what else with $100s of dollars add on's plus load of hours of time getting it just Right. sure i can unplug the net, but that would just suck, giving it less value.

spent my day trying to get a older xp pc to work it had sp2 just getting to sp3 was a job with 396 updates really about 258. it only has 1gb ram. suffers trying espn3. wondering if i added another 1 gb of ram would help ?
what a pita
thanks for reading

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)