Windows XP End of Support

Do as I did, and it's 'activated' from the 'get go'. Just use the SystemRescueCd to restore. then you can throw away the OEM disks.

A few registry changes yields 5 more years of XP updates: http://www.extremetech.com/computin...ple-hack-gives-you-five-more-years-of-updates

This simple hack tells Windows Update that your computer is running Windows Embedded POSReady, rather than Windows XP. POSReady, which as the name suggests is for point-of-sales cash registers, is a variant of Windows XP that was released in 2009 — some eight years after Windows XP was first released. I’m not entirely sure why Microsoft released a variant of Windows XP about six months before the release of Windows 7, but there you go. POSReady will be supported until April 2019.

I tried this on one of the XP PCs that was replaced with a new Win 7 Pro PC at work. It picked up the May patches and identified them as for the POS version of Windows XP and XP-Embedded.

The one blog entry at Microsoft also mentions that this version of Windows is not a licensed version for the Office Suites, so if you're running Office 2003 or 2007, say, you're supposed to remove that version from your "enhanced" PC. I went ahead and tried Excel and it had no problems starting under the POS version, so it's strictly an ethical issue there.

Anybody got a .reg file? One that can be 'merged' instead of manually editing the registry? If not may have to 'learn how' myself.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts