Windows XP End of Support

http://www.pcr-online.biz/news/read...obal-browser-market-could-be-affected/033856?

Microsoft has warned users of a vulnerability in its Internet Explorer web browser.

The flaw could let hackers gain access and user rights to a computer and affects IE versions 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, and 11.

Microsoft has said it is aware of ‘limited, targeted attacks that attempt to exploit the vulnerability’ and has issued a security advisory.

The onslaught of exploits starts... How many of these are going to quickly surface? How many have been held back until final XP patch?

This is a flaw in ALL I.E. versions, NOT just Xp.
If you have Administrator rights, and use I.E., you're vulnerable. Even if running Win8(.1)

Good reason to NOT use I.E. Look at how long it took M$ to find it, now another wait to fix it.

Last edited:
Nothing wrong with IE it all comes down to the user and their surfing habits you go to bad site or click on a bad link it does not necessary care what browser your using it's going to look at your protection. All browsers have there issues it's just IE get's published more will other exploits go undiscovered more with other type of browsers. If your using IE you should have Protection Mode turn on anyway which will protect you from the current exploit and I'm sure they will release a patch soon. The government usually always behind when it comes to maintaining anything to do with technology. So there No real need to panic.. :)

Suggested way to avoid the bug is to unregister the DLL

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/microsoft-internet-explorer-vulnerability-windows-xp,26650.html

"This happened a bit quicker than I expected but it is a sign of things to come; the vulnerability applies to Windows XP, IE6, IE7 and IE8 are listed as affected and attackers will soon adapt the exploit to work against these older versions of IE as well. Since you will not get a patch for your operating system, deregistering the DLL will be your best option to defend your systems," writes Qualys Inc. CTO Wolfgang Kandek. "Microsoft still lists IE6, IE7 and IE8 in these advisories because they run under Windows 2003, which has another year of support left in it."

One workaround, which is listed towards the bottom of Microsoft's alert, includes disabling VGX.dll, which is responsible for rendering of VML (Vector Markup Language) code in webpages. VML is only infrequently used on the web, Kandek adds, so disabling it in IE is the best way to prevent exploitation. To deregister it, type in the following:

regsvr32 -u "%CommonProgramFiles%\Microsoft Shared\VGX\vgx.dll"

I read not long ago that IE was a bit more secure than Chrome and Firefox. I use Chrome mostly.

I think they are all pretty close overall, but Chrome auto patches all the time to fix bugs. With a security flaw you have to wait for the monthly patch for IE.

For me, Chrome does a better job detecting malware on web pages before they load, and alerts you to that fact. I remember recently a thread here on Satguys triggered the alert.

For me, Chrome does a better job detecting malware on web pages before they load, and alerts you to that fact. I remember recently a thread here on Satguys triggered the alert.

It is not chrome, but Google. When Google indexes pages it scans for known malware and builds a list. Chrome consults this list for each website. Other browsers are free to consult this list too.

took the jump and installed Mint on the wifes old xp pc. did not work out well. all i get is a (i guess) desktop with runny colors there is a button top right that lets me reboot. i can get back to xp. but how do i uninstall this mint? to get back the HD space ?
it's only a 100gig HD. oh the pain

i did this

and found this. not easy and the wife can't find her restore disk so far. as i understand if i just delete the Mint(that's easy) it will not boot up in XP as Mint has killed windows boot loader.
any ideas please ?
thanks for reading
http://www.howtogeek.com/141818/how-to-uninstall-a-linux-dual-boot-system-from-your-computer/\

You will also have to restore the Windows boot loader, as Linux overwrites the Windows boot loader with its own boot loader, known as “GRUB.” After deleting the partitions, the GRUB boot loader won’t boot your computer properly.

no replies

Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe just reinstall Mint and see if you can get it to work this time.

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

Grub or grub2?
there is a app to modify grub2, placing your MS OS first in the list to boot.
If grub, should be able to sudo gedit the text file(cant say where it is in mint, and don't remember where in ubuntu)
Ok found this : http://www.sysint.no/nedlasting/mbrfix.htm
Then wipe mint? then reformat the partition?
Use the win install to do it or use a bootable gparted disk. Format to fat or ntfs so windows can use it.

Last edited:
More thinking here :facepalm
read your 'problem' is garbled video, right? If so the problem may very well be the need for a proprietary video driver. Ubuntu install has a checkbox to install these during install, would think mint does also. May be called 'proprietary' or 'third party' or something like that.

Another option, install Ubuntu over the mint install, with the 'third party' checkbox selected. Something else, during install split the ext4 partition in half. Half for the linux install. Then using disk manager(already installed) reformat the other half to fat. windows will then recognize it.
Linux can navigate the window partitions. windows cannot see the linux partition.
Then install grub customizer via the software center. Move your windows install to the 'top of the boot list'.

Did a fresh install of Xp SP3 a week ago Saturday.
Went to windowsupdate to see if there's any available, and there were about 50, including the 'fix' for I.E.
After I did that I installed another browser. (actually two, Firefox and chrome)

I then created a 2nd partition and a backup image.
Repartitioned the original one huge partition into two partitions. Used Gparted. resizing (smaller) the existing partition, and the 'freed' unalocated portion of the disk was formated to NTFS (so windows and I could use it also for file storage)
Then used partimage to create the image to the 'new' partition.
The above 'tools' are on a bootable disk. SysrtemRescueCD
For a reference on how large to make your new partition:
My XP install occupies 25.2 Gb while the
25Gb 'restore' partition is only 16Gb used.
May again repartition, shrinking the windows partition further, creating another partition for all of "my files'.
Find the instructions here: http://lifehacker.com/292972/partition-and-image-your-hard-drive-with-the-system-rescue-cd
Good luck
Rebooting into windows, it will complain because of the changes to the HDD, let it do it's 'thing'.
After starting Xp I downloaded the java7 update55 offline installer.
http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/downloads/jre7-downloads-1880261.html
and an updated video driver. Saved both also in the 'new' partition.
I'm 'ready to go if there's a 'OS failure' which I really doubt will happen.
Never happened on my win98SE machine, and it goes online now and then yet!
Maybe I should image that one????? Whoo Hoo, 4Gb HDD and a 333Mhz pentium with 32Mb RAM.
No, it don't play DVD's or BluRay, but what I have it doing, it does just fine.

Last edited:
Reactions: jorgek
I was pleasantly surprised this past weekend. My IBM T42 running XP SP3 crashed. It would not reboot no matter what I tried. Finally decided to reload OS. All I had was the backup CD with a Dell OS XP on it.
Loaded it on the T42 and it worked like a charm. Also installed SP3. Went to the Lenovo (IBM) support site and found all the drivers I needed. Then I keyed in the activation code and webbed it to Microsoft. It validated OK!
That was the pleasant surprise and not the crash!

I also installed Chrome rather than IE8 which I ran for years. All I can say is WOW! Should have switched to Chrome years ago.
Now I all I have to do is create a bootable backup image in case this happens again and MS no longer accepts the activation code. I'm sure at some point they will shut down the XP servers!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts