Windows XP End of Support

Given the rapidly shrinking number of those still battling IE, that's probably not a major issue. Use of all versions of IE combined is now below 10% according to the latest w3schools survey.

Then somebody is way off on one end or the other.

ie_january_2014.png

Whatever the number truly is I doubt we could ever find out. It's somewhere between harsh claim of less than ten percent to almost 60%. Lol.

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

I know I generally use chrome on my desktop, but for a touchscreen it sucks. I installed it on my touch laptop and my tablet and promptly deleted it. The new IE is very good imo, especially on touch.

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

My wife's Win8 laptop with a better processor and twice the memory of my desktop is much slower in simple tasks such as loading a folder with a large number of files in it, for example. I'm sure you've seen that annoying green progress bar in the explorer address bar.

In addition, the draconian lockdown of 3rd party APIs in Win7/8 makes a lot of my current productivity and utility software useless or crippled, even if the vendor is able to write compatible versions for the newer OS.

Their solution was to change the name to service packs, not to hold releases until the product was clean.

In fairness to MS, and I am far from a phanboi, everybodies product has bugs and security flaws. The code bases are so large that its well-nigh impossible to ship "clean".

It's a matter of how many bugs of what level... And that's true for everybody.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

Having the joy of installing windows 8 on an old PC. It is a Core 2 Duo, E6300 (2007 era). It is going to be a backup computer in case one of the new ones I installed fails for some reason. It had XP, now using one of my $39.99 windows 8 updates. Already found out one of the updates causes it crash (the D965 motherboard devices upgrade). I have the latest BIOS, but I guess it is not enough. So, had to hide that update. Seeing if I can get it all the way to 8.1 and have it be stable. If not I have 72 hours to wipe it before it tries to activate and use my upgrade code.

Once I have it all ready I will just keep it on the shelf just in case...

Grrr 89 updates later now it gets the :( blue screen when booting. Back to the base 8.0 I hope I do not have to install updates one by one to find the problem... I thought I had it last time with the chipset one (it crashes as soon as you try to apply that one). I suppose I can do 10 at a time and see if they fail and try to roll back.

Well maybe the 4th reinstall will be the charm. This time I scavenged up a PCIe graphics card, I think it was the built in Intel GMA 965 graphics that was causing a problem. The machine works fine with the initial Windows 8 install. But, after the 90 initial patches it gives up the ghost. I am going to install updates 10 or so at a time and see if I can find what happens. Perhaps with the new graphics card it will not have the issue. GMA 965 was probably never meant to drive a 1920x1200 monitor.

Well the graphics card does the trick, first 90 updates down 54 more loading now... Hopefully the last that are needed before the 8.1 upgrade...

Well the graphics card does the trick, first 90 updates down 54 more loading now... Hopefully the last that are needed before the 8.1 upgrade...

Why didnt you just download the "Windows 8.1 with Update" ISO? There are only one or two patches after that.

Can you use a Windows 8 key with that? In the past with MS you had to install what you had the key for and then update to new versions.

I have TechNet still and my keys for 8 and 8.1 are identical.

This is the name of the ISO you need: en_windows_8.1_with_update_x86_dvd_4065105.iso

I may down load it to have it in case of a reinstall. I have completed the upgrade already to 8.1 w/update and it is working successfully. The hard drive slows it down a bit, but it is now working well for a 7 year old XP computer.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)