Windows XP End of Support

Probably not a concern to commercial sites. My company has site licenses. It is more a matter of configuration support, lost productivity during transition and a need to grow the tech savvy of the company.

As an example. Current laptop has a PCMCIA slot. New ones don't. Usually not a big deal, but the product I just shipped uses PCMCIA flash devices as the primary transfer media. So any new laptop also has to include an external PCMCIA reader for every laptop on that program. The industrial world does not move nearly as fast as the PC world does and that PCMCIA memory got locked in to the specs nearly 10 years ago.

Probably not a concern to commercial sites. My company has site licenses. It is more a matter of configuration support, lost productivity during transition and a need to grow the tech savvy of the company.

As an example. Current laptop has a PCMCIA slot. New ones don't. Usually not a big deal, but the product I just shipped uses PCMCIA flash devices as the primary transfer media. So any new laptop also has to include an external PCMCIA reader for every laptop on that program. The industrial world does not move nearly as fast as the PC world does and that PCMCIA memory got locked in to the specs nearly 10 years ago.

Holy crap! I havent seen a PCMCIA slot (or even heard that term) in at least 5 or 6 years.

My largest municipal client is sitting on XP Pro and they just upgraded everything to that in 2008. I hate when someone shuts my terminal down. I come in and I wait longer for that thing to boot and log me into the City network than it actually takes me to pull the data I need to a usb drive to take with me.

They had a $45 upgrade promotion when win 8 came out... I bet a lot wish they had taken advantage of that...

And I'll bet even more are happy they dodged the bullet.

I'll bet a lot of upgrades from XP were put off because MS delayed it before, and they counted on MS delaying it again.

And I'll bet even more are happy they dodged the bullet. I'll bet a lot of upgrades from XP were put off because MS delayed it before, and they counted on MS delaying it again.
What bullet? There is nothing wrong with Windows 8. If people need start menu functionality restored there are free downloads that accomplish this.

For the love of Pete, all this Windows 8 bashing is ridiculous. A typical windows upgrade before 8 was $100+. I got 8 for under $50 and then paid $3 at the time to add start menu functionality back to it. Less than 1/2 my normal OS update cost, improved performance, and only the slight hassle of having to download a third party program to add functionality that I liked back in.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Not to mention the free upgrade to 8.1 and now the next 8.1 version (like an R2). Who knows MS may throw in an 8.2 free upgrade too to try to recover from the bad press of 8.0.

In honor of this momentous day, I'm going to boot up my Win98 machine that hasn't seen action since about 2008. :D

What bullet? There is nothing wrong with Windows 8. If people need start menu functionality restored there are free downloads that accomplish this.

For the love of Pete, all this Windows 8 bashing is ridiculous. A typical windows upgrade before 8 was $100+. I got 8 for under $50 and then paid $3 at the time to add start menu functionality back to it. Less than 1/2 my normal OS update cost, improved performance, and only the slight hassle of having to download a third party program to add functionality that I liked back in.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys
...and nothing you said has anything to do with why I'm keeping my WinXP.

In honor of this momentous day, I'm going to boot up my Win98 machine that hasn't seen action since about 2008. :D
I already did, and logged into satguys with it. (FF 2.0)
As a test I think I'll leave a Xp machine on the net just to see how long it stays uncompromised. I'm not believing 'the sky is falling' until I see it. What's the bet? Within days? A week? A month? No loss if it is, and $0.00 to get it back up. Just reinstall from an image or install a 'flavor' of Linux and we're 'off to the races'.
Got my 98 machine running scanrec. Networked so I can play back recordings from any comp. Be it an MS machine or (usually) a Linux box.

...What bullet? There is nothing wrong with Windows 8...."

Sales say otherwise.

"...I got 8 for under $50..."

And you don't wonder WHY?

Not to mention the free upgrade to 8.1 and now the next 8.1 version (like an R2). Who knows MS may throw in an 8.2 free upgrade too to try to recover from the bad press of 8.0.

November Sierra Sierra.

That is definitely a serious image issue at MS. Old joke:

At Microsoft, quality is job .1

Their solution was to change the name to service packs, not to hold releases until the product was clean.

I thought about creating a new thread on this, but on a related note...

Zap2It has now switched their website guide over to the slower, clunkier, less functional metro-style interface. :(

I thought about creating a new thread on this, but on a related note...

Zap2It has now switched their website guide over to the slower, clunkier, less functional metro-style interface. :(

you should in the FTA section many there used it.... it's messed up. there is a yahoo fix blah blah

...What bullet? There is nothing wrong with Windows 8...." Sales say otherwise. "...I got 8 for under $50..." And you don't wonder WHY? November Sierra Sierra.

Sales don't mean anything with regards to quality. Microsoft ended up with a huge PR nightmare, tempest in a teapot style, over the lack of a start button. That rather than lack of quality has hampered windows 8 sales.

Its not like this date was a surprise.
At the same time, its not like Microsoft made a compelling case for upgrading. It shouldn't be necessary to have that kind of computing power to do the little things what most want to do.

Of course is Microsoft hadn't have pushed IE6 as a development platform so hard (and made each version of IE so incompatible with the others), people wouldn't have been forced to put off upgrading.

Sales don't mean anything with regards to quality. Microsoft ended up with a huge PR nightmare, tempest in a teapot style, over the lack of a start button. That rather than lack of quality has hampered windows 8 sales.
...and its locked-down, dumbed-down (in the name of security) shoe-horned-tablet-picture-book-OS-into-a-desktop is useless for power users and IT professionals. A start button or lack thereof has nothing to do with it.

Don't even get me started on Server2012.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)