Windows XP End of Support

as i have worn the computer man hat as of late.

what is all the memory usage in win 7 ?
my laptop with 6G is using 3.5 to near 5
wifes new 8G
using 2 to 3.5 just setting it up yesterday. even just after starting with no pages going it was eating 1.4 - 1.9 after 5 min.:wtf:

my older XP units had 1G & 2G and i ran the same stuff on them, i crashed them a few times after days of running but still..
hard to understand this phenomenon?

Windows Vista+ caches files in memory for better response time. Windows 7 will shrink the file cache if applications need the space. It is just a lot faster with a RAM disk cache. It is also predictive. For example if you usually run MS Word, it will load it up into memory when you boot, so that it is ready to go when you click on it.

Many distros are based on Ubuntu. http://distrowatch.com
one can go to espn.com and watch espn3 with this Linux stuff ?

that sounds dumb maybe, but would not be the first time if i did not ask and got shafted. happened with my roku it has rca (yellow) video out but will not run it and hdmi at the same time. a first in any STB's i've owned.
thanks for reading

ps
how/can it interface with the adobe flash player ?

Last edited:
im no sure why 7 not having 7.1 or 7.2 updates is a good thing. Please explain.
Because asking (and answering) which Windows version you have is a lot easier than the version and Service Pack number. Users managed it quite well in the MS-DOS days (Win95 introduced multiple version identification schemes and Win98 use a different scheme yet).

The OS requirements for many (if not most) of the Microsoft products demand knowing what Service Packs are installed in addition to the OS version. What you have installed at any one time would be much easier to determine and remember if it were a single item and not a combination of things.

Windows Vista+ caches files in memory for better response time.
All versions of Windows from 95 on used disk caching and earlier versions could benefit from SmartDrive (MS-DOS 4.0 and later) or a third party disk cache under DOS if it were installed with enough RAM.

The key to understanding Windows memory usage is that it uses (not necessarily effectively) whatever you give it. If you don't give Windows enough, it starts paging out memory that you're not instantaneously using to the hard drive. Paging is very resource intensive (especially on notebooks with crappy hard drives) and that's why more memory (up to a point) improves performance. There exists a point (probably a little greater than Microsoft's minimum specification) below which things get intolerable because so much paging is going on.

one can go to espn.com and watch espn3 with this Linux stuff ?

that sounds dumb maybe, but would not be the first time if i did not ask and got shafted. happened with my roku it has rca (yellow) video out but will not run it and hdmi at the same time. a first in any STB's i've owned.
thanks for reading

ps
how/can it interface with the adobe flash player ?

yes.. no .. maybe ?

I don't know how ESPN handles their web video because I don't watch it.

Many Linux versions these days come on a DVD that can be booted to a fully-functional OS, not just an installer. Download one and try it, all you've got to lose is a DVD! (There are also programs that will write the DVD image to a bootable flash drive, but they don't all work with all versions of Linux, so I recommend the DVD route unless your target computer doesn't have a DVD drive.)

I recommend trying Mint as it comes with many 3rd-party codecs / plugins pre-installed. Many other Linux versions don't, for political reasons.

Dutch government pays millions to extend Microsoft XP support

The government of the Netherlands has struck a multimillion Euro deal with Microsoft to secure continued support for its Windows XP systems, according to a report published on 4 April in Dutch News.

According to the report, the deal will provide support for around 34,000 and 40,000 Dutch national government civil servants still using Windows XP machines until next January, when all government PCs are scheduled to be migrated to a new system.

Microsoft is ceasing all security updates and technical support for its Windows XP system on 8 April, leaving those still using the platform potentially exposed to security threats.
The move by the Dutch government follows a similar deal the software giant struck with the United Kingdom government.
It was announced last week that the UK government agreed to pay more than £5.6 million to Microsoft to continue its support for Windows XP by one year.
http://www.zdnet.com/dutch-government-pays-millions-to-extend-microsoft-xp-support-7000028116/

Last edited:
Well, since today's the day, we should probably start placing bets at work as to when we switch to Win7.

Of course, first we'll have to finish the switch from IE6 to IE8. Around 8,200 stores, 10-14 computers per store (excluding the 7-10 registers running XP) will be a big project.

Your firm has waited this long and taken no significant action to replace XP! :eek

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Yeah. If you hear about a massive data breach and WAG stock tanks, you'll know why. I expect our Hughesnet bird to get a workout soon.

The registers and store computers are XP. AS/400 for inventory, not sure about the servers for the sensitive stuff (POS transactions, prescription histories). I'd assume those are some flavor of *nix.

The IT guy for our small business is running around today installing patches to XP desktops so he can run the Upgrade Advisor. My wife and I are both running Win7 in the office, I thought everyone else was. :mad:

They have been replacing laptops here for the last few months, but 2/3 of us are still sitting on XP machines with no known replacement schedule.

Its not like this date was a surprise. Mainstream support for XP ended back in 2009. Companies really shouldnt have waited another 5 years to start planning on migrating to Windows 7 or another platform.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)