Winegard Carryout G3 with DirectTV HR44 receiver signal loss (721) with only Line 1 in connected

air_trash

Original poster
May 30, 2020
Greetings All - very new to this arena so be gentle. Recently purchased a Winegard Carryout G3 portable satellite dish for my 5th wheel camper. I connected the primary sat out to the power supply box and then out to line 1 in on a DirectTV HR44-100. receiver. Everything seemed to start up correctly but could not get any picture. Did get the header part of the picture that shows the channel, time, etc. but no picture. Spent about an hour with DirectTV technician to no avail. Later that day, I hooked up the 2nd sat out from the dish to the in line 2 on the HR44 and presto, everything is up and going and seems to be working just fine. The questions is: I understand that the Carryout G3 has two horns and is supposed to be able to provide signal to 2 receivers. If I have the 2nd sat out already going to the 1st receiver how am I supposed to connect a second receiver? Shouldn't the 1st HR44 be fully functional with only line 1 connected?

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated!
Gray

Greetings All - very new to this arena so be gentle. Recently purchased a Winegard Carryout G3 portable satellite dish for my 5th wheel camper. I connected the primary sat out to the power supply box and then out to line 1 in on a DirectTV HR44-100. receiver. Everything seemed to start up correctly but could not get any picture. Did get the header part of the picture that shows the channel, time, etc. but no picture. Spent about an hour with DirectTV technician to no avail. Later that day, I hooked up the 2nd sat out from the dish to the in line 2 on the HR44 and presto, everything is up and going and seems to be working just fine. The questions is: I understand that the Carryout G3 has two horns and is supposed to be able to provide signal to 2 receivers. If I have the 2nd sat out already going to the 1st receiver how am I supposed to connect a second receiver? Shouldn't the 1st HR44 be fully functional with only line 1 connected?

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated!
Gray
Are you Sure, thats a HR44 and not a 24 ?
I haven't had a HR44 in awhile, but I do have a HR54 and neither of them have more than 1 port for an incoming Sat coax.

:welcome to Satelliteguys air_trash!
I think jimbo is correct that the HR44 only has one input, so perhaps you have an HR24? I don't think there is an HR44-100, but there is an HR24-100.

Reading up on the G3, it doesn't work with Directv Genies, which the HR44 is, so you must have the HR24 if it's working at all. That is unless you have the adapter that lets you use the G3 with a Genie. Also, it doesn't get hd, but you probably already know that.

Now, if its a HR24, did you happen to go into the Setting to see if somehow it got set for 1 tuner only ?
You can select it that way for those that only have 1 feed.
I believe it is set up for 1 tuner. I will change the settings and get back to you. Thanks!!!

I believe it is set up for 1 tuner. I will change the settings and get back to you. Thanks!!!
Most of the time its defaulted to 2 tuner, but you cn check, just to be sure.

Then, if thats the case, check and make sure you have your coax in Sat in #1 it will say some thing like (SWM) above it.

Most of the time its defaulted to 2 tuner, but you cn check, just to be sure.

Then, if thats the case, check and make sure you have your coax in Sat in #1 it will say some thing like (SWM) above it.
The G3 isn't a swm dish jimbo.

The G3 isn't a swm dish jimbo.

Aha!!! Excellent clue! So I took the sat main out and unplugged it from the HR24-11 line 1 swm in port and plugged it into line 2 in (not swm) and that looks like it it solved the problem. I now have pretty much all the channels I get in the house system. I'm missing a couple I think because of the dish placement - a tree may be partially blocking it's view. There are a couple that don't list on the program guide like the NASA channel - I get that on my home genie system but not on the HR-24.

Thanks!!!!

Last edited:
Aha!!! Excellent clue! So I took the sat main out and unplugged it from the HR24-11 line 1 swm in port and plugged it into line 2 in (not swm) and that looks like it it solved the problem. I now have pretty much all the channels I get in the house system. I'm missing a couple I think because of the dish placement - a tree may be partially blocking it's view. There are a couple that don't list on the program guide like the NASA channel - I get that on my home genie system but not on the HR-24.

Thanks!!!!

If it is not SWM you will also need a BBC (two if you end up wanting to use both tuners)

I presumed there was a way to set up for a Swim when I saw he had used the PI ....
I should have caught that, but we were originally talking a HR44, which does require a PI

I presumed there was a way to set up for a Swim when I saw he had used the PI ....
I should have caught that, but we were originally talking a HR44, which does require a PI
It's not a DirecTV power inserter. And no NASA channel because it's mpeg4 sd.

If it is Ku only then it should be possible to set up with SWM. Just connect both its outputs to the 101 connections on a SWM8/SWM16/DSWM30 and connect a PI inline with the receiver. That way you could even use it with a Genie, though the Genie would probably get pissed off when it starts up and can't find the 99 and 103 satellites since I doubt it has a satellite setup option for 101 only operation.

That's assuming this G3 doesn't have some sort of magic undocumented DiSEqC communication with the Hx/HRx series firmware to help it aim, but rather is able to handle that on its own.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)