Winegard Question

Status
Please reply by conversation.
bertoman said:
Brian, I just noticed you are in Roseville CA .. I live in Jackson Ca just up the hill and work in Elk Grove..

You are welcome to stop by the Satellite AV and I'll demo a C-band set-up complete with DVBS2 receiver controlling a Vbox X, linear actuator and C2 LNBF. For less than $200 you could retrofit your dish with a C-band LNBF, hd receiver and a control box like the VBox X. Easy to use and minimal learning curve.

PM if you want to visit the shop for a tour.

FaT Air !

Thank you my friend... really don't think I would be happy with the analog setup, Anole mentioned it awhile back and I think I can agree with how Brian is thinking there... but I am thinking it might be more of a pain ...

I will lube it up and clean up the whole system a little more. It will take some time to get all the things together plus am gonna dig some trenches to put the new lines in to the house .

Thanks everybody for your input here.. I am really looking forward to getting the ol beast back up and running.

You are welcome to stop by the Satellite AV and I'll demo a C-band set-up complete with DVBS2 receiver controlling a Vbox X, linear actuator and C2 LNBF. For less than $200 you could retrofit your dish with a C-band LNBF, hd receiver and a control box like the VBox X. Easy to use and minimal learning curve.

PM if you want to visit the shop for a tour.

Hey Brian, don't mean to steal the thread, but would you care to share which DVBS2 receiver you might be using for the demo? :)

SatelliteAV said:
A factory preproduction run sample..... :)

If you need someone to test and review the receiver once they are no longer pre-production, I am sure you can find someone here at Satguys.....

To the OP, looks like you have a very good setup to start working with. The C2 lnbf should serve you well if you drop the co-rotor that you currently have.

Sent from my Desire HD using SatelliteGuys

I figure I am going to need about 300 ft of new cable .. any recommendations on where or where not to buy it from. I am okay in cutting and putting on the connections .. so buying a bulk length is okay... just want to make sure of the quality..

I personally have bulk reels and boxes of RG6 Quad shield in standard jacket (single or dual cable) and also burial flooded jacket (for underground runs). Will be willing to loan you the reels if you will tell me how much you use. The price will be right! I just have it around for my hobby and adding new toys on the warehouse roof.

Also can loan you coax stripping tool, compression tool, etc. Plenty of fittings for each cable diameter. Just report what you use and return the tools without me begging... LOL!

If the distance to the dish is 300 ft, then you probably should consider using a higher quality RG11 cable due to the signal loss over the longer distance. The cable, connectors and tools are not inexpensive! 200 ft is typically the longest distance that I will run with RG6. Other members have longer coax runs using RG6, but you will start experiencing motor control and switching reliability issues with longer coax runs.

Brian thanks for the offer and the insight ! I will measure the run this sunday on my one day off .. and let you know what I am looking at and pm you .

First , happy father's day to all of you dads!

I measured the run today.. just at a total of 210 feet. I also discovered a roll of RG6Q cable in the shop.. :) so I think I might have enough cable.. Now I have to trench.. joy joy...

The cabling for the old dish was the ribbon cable and just buried in the ground.. Does anybody have a suggestion about whether I should put the new cable in a conduit ? I feel I should and was wondering what everybody's opinion on that might be .. (it will take me a bit of time to trench anyways ).

I know Brian mentioned using R11G cable for long runs.. would I benefit from using that for this distance or would that be overkill ?

Thanks again for everybody's assistance !

In this hobby tiny benefits can be the difference between TV or not TV. So it would be hard to use the term "overkill" for me. It requires the same amount of digging for conduit or bare cable, RG6 or RG11. The digging is not what I want to do again.

Happy Father's Day back at ya :)

If it was me doing the job, I would bury conduit. This way adding a cable or pulling a new run will be easier. I second the person that says they only want to dig the 210 foot trench

Sent from my Desire HD using SatelliteGuys

DSCN5612.jpgDSCN5615.jpgDSCN5613.jpgDSCN5614.jpgDSCN5616.jpgDSCN5617.jpgDSCN5618.jpg

Hello Everyone !

Just got back from a very nice visit with Brian at his Office / Wharehouse. I have uploaded a couple of pictures I took while ( wish I had taken more but was too busy ;-) There is one of Brian at his workbench.. me in front of stack of dishes (amazing how they are shipped in ) There are a couple of pictures of the main area when you walk in the door and another of the Sat area.. Also there are some pictures of the wharehouse where some of the preparation for shipping out orders are done.. There is also a picture of some of the dishes that they have on the roof and sorry I did not get pictures of the ones out front on the ground level.

I am really thankful of Brian taking the time to spend a couple of hours with me showing me what they do . If you get a chance to visit Brian at his Office I think you will be very happy you did !

While there I did pick up the c2 lnbf for my setup.. now to shop around for the receiver and the gbox or vbox. ( so far the writes have been in favor of the gbox so am leaning that way ).

It might be a little while before I find the receiver and all and will let you all know how things go.

Once again Brian thank you so much for spending the time with me that you did !

What would be the best wire of choice to pick up to use from the actuator motor to the gbox / vbox ?

Found the information on the forums about the wiring so am okay there now.

Will be trying to check out the motor and actuator more thoroughly this coming weekend.. looking at some of the other forums and that looks like it might be a good idea to replace it ..

Thanks again for all the great input !

Took the lnbs off today .. now ready to put the c2 on next but will wait as do not have the gbox or receiver nor the cable ready .

Took the motor off the arm today to check it out more.. it does move when applying power to it.. there are two power wires and two sensor wires connected..

I called Sadoun and ordered a gbox also talked to them about a replacement motor but they did not think their replacement motor would work with my actuator arm and recommended I just use the old motor since it appears to be working and should be fine with the gbox. ..

I hope everybody is having a great day and that your 4th is great as well!

The Gbox just arrived..

Shouldn't I be able to connect just the Gbox up to make sure the actuator and motor are working and moving the dish ?

Thanks !

Hope everybody is having a great day !

bertoman

Just connect the +, - and sensor wires. you will be good to go.

Be sure to have the actuator clean and greased. Nothing quite as damaging as running some rust through the gears and seals.

Just read this thread today!cant believe i missed this.Sounds like all is going well Bertoman!I remembered when i started alittle over a year ago with a 36" motorized ku system and a solomend (openbox) then expanded shortly after with a motorized 6 ft dish for ku/c and a AZbox Ultra receiver.Lots of good people here to share thoughts and get advice and i can tell your really enjoying this!I know i still am.Sounds like fairly shortly you will be aiming for those satellites!If the dish is still aligned correctly as before to follow the arc then its just a matter of time to set up your true south satellite and start seeing what you can get.Three choices for a receiver would be a AZbox,openbox or maybe the Manhattan which should be selling here soon. Take care! Stan the satellite man.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Fortec Star Mercury II issue

Free Primestar dish -- Lees Summit MO

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts