Winegard RoadTrip T4 In-Motion Satellite Antenna

charlesrshell

SatelliteGuys Crazy
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Jan 14, 2006
O'Fallon, IL
Fellow members, I need help. I have a relative that just got a new RV that has the Winegard RoadTrip T4 In-Motion Satellite Antenna. It also has a Winegard OTA antenna mounted on top of the RV too. He has asked me for help because he wants a DISH satellite system. Looking at the instructions looks like only the Wally and 211 is compatible with this satellite dish. I do not know much about these two receivers. Have the following questions:

What’s the best receiver? Wally or 211.

What are all these different versions of the 211 all about? VIP211z, k, etc.

This RV has two Samsung TVs. Will he need two receivers?

There is some kind of Winegard module mounted in the RV. What is it used for? See attached pic.

Will DISH send out a technician to install the Wally or 211? Or does the RV dealership do the installation?

He is new to DISH so what kind of account will he need? He will just need the satellite service for road trips only. Doesn’t want satellite for home use.

Can a Hopper 3 and a Joey 3 be installed in his RV if he had a DPH42 switch?

Thanks for any help.

Attachments

• Wingard Panel.jpg
    Wingard Panel.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 328
#1 Dish ain’t going to touch this install. Likely the RV dealer or a dish retailer.

#2 no hoppers

#3 likely 1 receiver if you want HD. If it gives you the option to use 119 only, you might be able to use 2 receivers.

#3 can’t tell you to use a wally or 211z. I do know the 211k has a built in ota tuner and can be turned into a DVR with an external drive.

#4 i believe in the instruction book there are dip switches to set the satellite configuration.

As far as installation they are not hard to setup. Just 12 volt power.

The only thing I do not like is mounting to roofs, especially in these expensive RV’s

If you can’t do 2 receivers, you could get 2 dome dishes.

But I’m pretty sure a hopper is out of the question

A Wally or 211z can be used with the T4 and both need an optional USB OTA adapter that the 211k has built in. All three models can be upgraded to a basic DVR with the addition of an external USB hard drive and payment of a one time fee.

Since the OP's relative's RV already has the T4 installed, that's not an issue. The T4 has two outputs to support two receivers, but both must watch programming on the same satellite as with any automatic dome.

The lower panel shown in the photo is known as a "BOMB" (Box Of Many Buttons), and is an audio/video switching system that supplies signals to multiple TV's.

Reactions: charlesrshell
A Wally or 211z can be used with the T4 and both need an optional USB OTA adapter that the 211k has built in. All three models can be upgraded to a basic DVR with the addition of an external USB hard drive and payment of a one time fee.

Since the OP's relative's RV already has the T4 installed, that's not an issue. The T4 has two outputs to support two receivers, but both must watch programming on the same satellite as with any automatic dome.

The lower panel shown in the photo is known as a "BOMB" (Box Of Many Buttons), and is an audio/video switching system that supplies signals to multiple TV's.
Thanks. So who does the install, DISH or the RV dealership? Which is the the better receiver, Wally, 211k, or 211z?

An RV dealer should do the receiver installation since they would have access to the antenna and other cable location information that's unique to that model RV. DISH would only be involved by phone or online when it's time to activate the receiver/account.

My personal preference would be the 211k since it has the built-in OTA capability, but any of them will work well for RV use. The 211z and Wally are physically smaller than the 211k if space is a consideration.

An RV dealer should do the receiver installation since they would have access to the antenna and other cable location information that's unique to that model RV. DISH would only be involved by phone or online when it's time to activate the receiver/account.

My personal preference would be the 211k since it has the built-in OTA capability, but any of them will work well for RV use. The 211z and Wally are physically smaller than the 211k if space is a consideration.
Thanks NYDutch. After researching these receivers, if that RV was mine, I would figure out how to make a Hopper 3 somehow work with this Winegard setup. By the time you have to purchase a EHD, WiFi adapter, Bluetooth adapter, might need a USB hub, pay to have the EHD on the account, etc, etc, the Hopper 3 is the way to go IMO.

Thanks NYDutch. After researching these receivers, if that RV was mine, I would figure out how to make a Hopper 3 somehow work with this Winegard setup. By the time you have to purchase a EHD, WiFi adapter, Bluetooth adapter, might need a USB hub, pay to have the EHD on the account, etc, etc, the Hopper 3 is the way to go IMO.

WiFi and Bluetooth adapters aren't really needed, so a USB hub wouldn't be needed either. I can't think of any way to modify a T4 to work with a Hopper 3, although I did modify the single LNB manually aimed Winegard RM-DM46 that was installed on our RV roof when we bought it to work with our Hopper 2. An automatic aiming dish like the T4 is a whole different critter though that basically uses a custom legacy LNB. If they really want a Hopper 3 and an automatic aiming dish, their best bet would be to trade in the T4 for a Trav'ler open face triple LNB dish. They'll lose the in-motion capability though, and lighten their wallet quite a bit more.

WiFi and Bluetooth adapters aren't really needed, so a USB hub wouldn't be needed either. I can't think of any way to modify a T4 to work with a Hopper 3, although I did modify the single LNB manually aimed Winegard RM-DM46 that was installed on our RV roof when we bought it to work with our Hopper 2. An automatic aiming dish like the T4 is a whole different critter though that basically uses a custom legacy LNB. If they really want a Hopper 3 and an automatic aiming dish, their best bet would be to trade in the T4 for a Trav'ler open face triple LNB dish. They'll lose the in-motion capability though, and lighten their wallet quite a bit more.
So a DPH42 switch will not work with the custom legacy LNB? Thanks again for all your help.

I agree.

As a dealer I would get people to ask us to work on these systems and we did for our good customers who have been with us.

But the truth was I really wanted nothing to do with an RV installation. It was just too much work removing panels and dealing with securing all the equipment.

Worse part was mounting the antenna. I did not want to go any bolts into the roof.

The last in motion system I did was in a bus, but it was 40 years old and the owner didn’t care if we bolted the antenna through the roof with a washer holding the bolts on the inside

The DPH42 only works with DP and DPP LNB's. The T4 has a single non-DP, non-DPP LNB.

Does the single LNB in the RoadTrip T4 see the birds 110, 119, and 129 at the same time or does it have to adjust when you tune to a channel that is on a different satellite?

The ones I've seen, yes. The dish has to move and then the receiver has to tune the channel.

OK, thanks. I sure am learning about DISH RV stuff. Got a Wally, WiFi adapter, 2TB EHD, and a 4-Port USB powered hub on order for my Uncle. Going to give him two 40.0 remotes and an OTA adapter. I have talked to the DISH RV folks for more info. I did not realize that the DISH RV side of the house is ran by a contractor I guess. I think he said they were Pace or something like that.

Does any fellow SatGuys members who have a Wally setup with a Winegard RoadTrip T4 In-Motion Satellite Antenna check the TV Activity screen and see if there is two satellite tuners?

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 3)