Winegard Trav'ler and HR44 in motorhome

Status
Please reply by conversation.
?The wireless Cinema Connection Kit connects to the internet via WiFi router,& it is unnecessary because the HR 44 can act as the CCK. The Wireless Video Bridge(which is a completely different animal) is absolutely necessary for when the C41W comes out because that is how they connect to your Genie.

Roy..
Thanks for the reply.. What is a Cinema Connection Kit or cck? Are you saying that the HR44 requires the use of an internet connection? Many places we camp we have at best a very marginal cell signal to use our Verizon MIFi type device..
I had read that the C41W's require their own router.. But would solve my wiring problem.. Do you have a clue as to when they will be available? Or is there another manufacturer who makes a wireless device that would work (although finger pointing would be an issue if something didn't work).
Bewildered and dissapointed..
Ron Husak
? Conifer, CO

Roy..
Thanks for the reply.. What is a Cinema Connection Kit or cck? Are you saying that the HR44 requires the use of an internet connection? Many places we camp we have at best a very marginal cell signal to use our Verizon MIFi type device..
I had read that the C41W's require their own router.. But would solve my wiring problem.. Do you have a clue as to when they will be available? Or is there another manufacturer who makes a wireless device that would work (although finger pointing would be an issue if something didn't work).
Bewildered and dissapointed..
Ron Husak
? Conifer, CO
Ron,
No. You do not have to have your HR44 connected to an internet connection.

As the name implies a CCK (or Cinema Connection Kit) is for on-demand programming such as movies and on-demand TV shows from some networks. But, as you state, such a connection is not a reality in an RV camp so this really does not apply to your situation. Most of royrdsjr's posts relate to a "stick house" installation. He/she really does not grasp the RV living environment.

And I am not sure what point schneid was trying to make since I don't see anything in that post that contradicts what we have been saying here. And he has added a bunch of stuff that just complicates matters for the environment you have described. You may find some additional information on RV.NET, but I can assure you as a serious member of that site some years ago, you will find an equivalent amount of confusion and unwanted information on that forum as well.

Bob

Last edited:
Ron,
No. You do not have to have your HR44 connected to an internet connection.

As the name implies a CCK (or Cinema Connection Kit) is for on-demand programming such as movies and on-demand TV shows from some networks. But, as you state, such a connection is not a reality in an RV camp so this really does not apply to your situation. Most of royrdsjr's posts relate to a "stick house" installation. He/she really does not grasp the RV living environment.

And I am not sure what point schneid was trying to make since I don't see anything in that post that contradicts what we have been saying here. And he has added a bunch of stuff that just complicates matters for the environment you have described. You may find some additional information on RV.NET, but I can assure you as a serious member of that site some years ago, you will find an equivalent amount of confusion and unwanted information on that forum as well.

Bob

I was replying to Schneid about the difference between a wireless CCK & the Wireless Video Bridge. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e6NBbbpLdT8

You are right that you don't need internet connection for the HR44 to work. The WVB works in place of a receiver. You hook up the coaxial cable to it & then it sends out the video signal wirelessly to the C41W wireless client. But as Ron has stated,right now it is vaporware,it hasn't been released yet. Depending on how soon he needs his RV rewired(he still needs to find a Winegard Trav'ler dealer & installer),I was only giving the option of,as far as DIRECTV goes,rewiring via SWM for the HR34/44 Genie with a second cable,which could be in the same area as the Genie,for the WVB. That way he wouldn't have to tear through the RV rewiring to his other 2 TV's. THe WVB has absolutely NOTHING to do with the internet,it only transmits video signals,& when it ever comes out(along with the C41W),would be very practical for his situation.

I was replying to Schneid about the difference between a wireless CCK & the Wireless Video Bridge. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e6NBbbpLdT8

You are right that you don't need internet connection for the HR44 to work. The WVB works in place of a receiver. You hook up the coaxial cable to it & then it sends out the video signal wirelessly to the C41W wireless client. But as Ron has stated,right now it is vaporware,it hasn't been released yet. Depending on how soon he needs his RV rewired(he still needs to find a Winegard Trav'ler dealer & installer),I was only giving the option of,as far as DIRECTV goes,rewiring via SWM for the HR34/44 Genie with a second cable,which could be in the same area as the Genie,for the WVB. That way he wouldn't have to tear through the RV rewiring to his other 2 TV's. THe WVB has absolutely NOTHING to do with the internet,it only transmits video signals,& when it ever comes out(along with the C41W),would be very practical for his situation.

Roy, Bob and all..
Thanks all f you for the replys.. With your help I have more knowledge than most dealers I have spoken to have! I don't really understand it all but I have the raw info. I have read some stuff on a site called TVformyRV.com that indicates that the existing cable (coax) in my coach would work for the Genie and it's C41 clients. That was really good news.. And that I could add over the air by using an AM21 tuner to the Genie.. That would only leave the carry out that I use for those times I am blocked by trees. Do any of you know if anyone makes a device to convert the signal from the carry out to a SWM signal? Some sort of splitter or something.. I would have no issue switching the input between the Trav'ler and the carry out.. Either manually or with a switch.. Park Cable is just out! And completely rewiring the coach would probably cost as much as a new dish! Maybe if there were a drug to get me off of our TV addiction.... But I just don't know what else is reasonable to do.. Waiting for the C41W that may take forever really doesn't appeal to me.. Although if I do mine this way it will probably be released the following week.. But that would mean routers etc. so I just don't know..
BTW what is a WVB? Acronyms are my bane.. Particularly as ignorant as I am about this stuff!
One more question.. I have read on the boards that Direct will only allow one Genie per account.. If I outright buy this box would that count? I am thinking I would like to have the house done with one of those as well..
Ron Husak
04 Travel Supreme 40DS04

Roy, Bob and all.. Thanks all f you for the replys.. With your help I have more knowledge than most dealers I have spoken to have! I don't really understand it all but I have the raw info. I have read some stuff on a site called TVformyRV.com that indicates that the existing cable (coax) in my coach would work for the Genie and it's C41 clients. That was really good news.. And that I could add over the air by using an AM21 tuner to the Genie.. That would only leave the carry out that I use for those times I am blocked by trees. Do any of you know if anyone makes a device to convert the signal from the carry out to a SWM signal? Some sort of splitter or something.. I would have no issue switching the input between the Trav'ler and the carry out.. Either manually or with a switch.. Park Cable is just out! And completely rewiring the coach would probably cost as much as a new dish! Maybe if there were a drug to get me off of our TV addiction.... But I just don't know what else is reasonable to do.. Waiting for the C41W that may take forever really doesn't appeal to me.. Although if I do mine this way it will probably be released the following week.. But that would mean routers etc. so I just don't know.. BTW what is a WVB? Acronyms are my bane.. Particularly as ignorant as I am about this stuff! One more question.. I have read on the boards that Direct will only allow one Genie per account.. If I outright buy this box would that count? I am thinking I would like to have the house done with one of those as well.. Ron Husak 04 Travel Supreme 40DS04
No,one Genie per account which you could just use in your home & then take it with you in your RV. The WVB is "Wireless Video Bridge."

Ron,

Very nice coach.

And I would say this thread just about rules out using an AM21 for RV travel.

Bob

Supposedly,the Genie allows you to scan for OTA(over-the-air) channels for/with the AM21(but glancing through the thread you provided,it looks like that ability is gone). Also,just enter the zip code for where you are with your RV & maybe,hopefully,the OTA channels should show up for that area.

Supposedly,the Genie allows you to scan for OTA(over-the-air) channels for/with the AM21. Also,just enter the zip code for where you are with your RV & maybe,hopefully,the OTA channels will show up for that area.

Roy..
That is what I was hoping for. I am almost ready to take the dive.. Just disappointed that I can't have a Genie at home and in the coach.. Maybe will just schlep the Genie back and forth..
? Ron

Ron,

Very nice coach.

And I would say this thread just about rules out using an AM21 for RV travel.

Bob

Bob..
Thanks we really like the coach very much.. If I can just get the TV's to work as I want them.. Others have said that I can use the AM21.. Just have to run set up with your current zip code.. Isn't that correct?
? Ron

Wireless Genie MIni

Hi all..
Just got off of the DirecTv site as I am considering Upgrading my home systems.. I went to the upgrade section and found the "Wireless Genie Client" listed as new?
Does this mean it is now available??
? Ron

Hi all..
Just got off of the DirecTv site as I am considering Upgrading my home systems.. I went to the upgrade section and found the "Wireless Genie Client" listed as new?
Does this mean it is now available??
? Ron

As long as you understand that in the thread that Bob posted a link to,the Genie doesn't scan for OTA channels anymore. What you have to do is wherever you park your RV & set up your system,you have to enter the zip code for that location & Directv will populate your channel list with the OTA channels that it has on file,not what would normally be scanned. It may not list all of the channels,but hopefully it will list the major network channels.

As long as you understand that in the thread that Bob posted a link to,the Genie doesn't scan for OTA channels anymore. What you have to do is wherever you park your RV & set up your system,you have to enter the zip code for that location & Directv will populate your channel list with the OTA channels that it has on file,not what would normally be scanned. It may not list all of the channels,but hopefully it will list the major network channels.

Roy.. That is all I can hope for apparently.. Just want to be able to get local news.. I get East and West coast feeds of networks so I really don't have to worry about the regular shows..
Some apparently think that Directv will go back to the normal scanning at some point..
Did you see my comment about the Wireless Genie clients?
? Ron

? I would call that site & ask them.

*Alert* Correction,if you are talking about the Directv site,don't call as the CSR's can be unreliable in their answers,EMAIL them & you should get a more accurate answer. Make sure that you tell them where you live,as the answer given in the other thread you started was given to you,you might be in one of the test markets.

*Alert* Correction,if you are talking about the Directv site,don't call as the CSR's can be unreliable in their answers,EMAIL them & you should get a more accurate answer. Make sure that you tell them where you live,as the answer given in the other thread you started was given to you,you might be in one of the test markets.
Roy..
Yeah, I also have to figure out how to get the equipment for my coach.. I guess I could have it installed in the house and schlep the Genie back and forth.. But then have to obtain the clients for the coach.. That is too much schlepping..

Roy..
Yeah, I also have to figure out how to get the equipment for my coach.. I guess I could have it installed in the house and schlep the Genie back and forth.. But then have to obtain the clients for the coach.. That is too much schlepping..
?The clients should be small/tiny enough that that wouldn't be an issue

OK,I am assuming that you do not have Directv. If not,how many tv's at home would you need to set up? Keep in mind that you will pay $6.00 per client/DVD/receiver that you have above the Genie you want to get.

?Home: the best possible home situation for you,if you wanted to hook up 3 HD tv's would be,Genie(5 tuners),HD DVR,preferably a HR 24(2 tuners),& a HD receiver,preferably a H 25(1 tuner). Any extra tv's can use a client. The Genie allows for control of up to 3 clients &/or special Samsung & Sony tv's that can operate in place of a client box. The logic of the extra HD DVR & HD receiver is so if one of your Genie/DVD/receiver goes bad,you'll still have tv,unlike just having a Genie with clients,if the Genie goes bad,you have no tv.

?RV: in your RV,you can transfer your Genie from your home & already have your clients,wired or wireless,installed & waiting.

OK,I am assuming that you do not have Directv. If not,how many tv's at home would you need to set up? Keep in mind that you will pay $6.00 per client/DVD/receiver that you have above the Genie you want to get.

?Home: the best possible home situation for you,if you wanted to hook up 3 HD tv's would be,Genie(5 tuners),HD DVR,preferably a HR 24(2 tuners),& a HD receiver,preferably a H 25(1 tuner). Any extra tv's can use a client. The Genie allows for control of up to 3 clients &/or special Samsung & Sony tv's that can operate in place of a client box. The logic of the extra HD DVR & HD receiver is so if one of your Genie/DVD/receiver goes bad,you'll still have tv,unlike just having a Genie with clients,if the Genie goes bad,you have no tv.

?RV: in your RV,you can transfer your Genie from your home & already have your clients,wired or wireless,installed & waiting.

Roy..
So if I understand you correctly the Genie client isn't locked into the clients or matched or whatever.. So if I had clients inside the house and clients in the coach it would just be a matter of carrying the genie in and out. What if I had wireless in the coach? Would the transfer still be seamless? Or would the wireless clients need to be "Matched" ever time I re-installed the Genie? Or does it "rem,ember these wireless clients?
I am a current DirecTv customer have been for 14 years.. I am eligible for an upgrade.. Have been for a few years.. So now may be the time.. I have to get serious about this.. How do you think DirecTv will react when they find out about the installation in my RV?
? Ron

I am a current DirecTv customer have been for 14 years.. I am eligible for an upgrade.. Have been for a few years.. So now may be the time.. I have to get serious about this.. How do you think DirecTv will react when they find out about the installation in my RV?
? Ron

OK. Now I am confused. You say you have access to both East and West Coast feeds. That is available ONLY to RV accounts and very hard to come by in the last few years. (You have to fill out special forms and have a separate RV account to get that access today.) So, somehow you are already linked to an RV account or grandfathered into some special situation.

It is impossible to say how DirecTV would react to your setup. Since the clients can only work with the Genie it would be similar to my taking the bedroom receiver with us on our trips. It violates the "letter" of the TOS agreement, but sort of falls within the intent of the TOS. (We do not have viewers at two locations at the same time.) And D* has no way of knowing when we are on trips. I would suspect that a D* installer would balk at doing an install of clients in both a home and an RV. But, this is only speculation. I would assume the official word from D* would have to be two accounts; home and RV. It will be interesting to see what you find out.

OK. Now I am confused. You say you have access to both East and West Coast feeds. That is available ONLY to RV accounts and very hard to come by in the last few years. (You have to fill out special forms and have a separate RV account to get that access today.) So, somehow you are already linked to an RV account or grandfathered into some special situation.

It is impossible to say how DirecTV would react to your setup. Since the clients can only work with the Genie it would be similar to my taking the bedroom receiver with us on our trips. It violates the "letter" of the TOS agreement, but sort of falls within the intent of the TOS. (We do not have viewers at two locations at the same time.) And D* has no way of knowing when we are on trips. I would suspect that a D* installer would balk at doing an install of clients in both a home and an RV. But, this is only speculation. I would assume the official word from D* would have to be two accounts; home and RV. It will be interesting to see what you find out.

If that were true that he would have to have 2 separate accounts,then would that mean that he could have 2 Genies,1 per each account?

The client/clients have to be married up to the Genie. During activation(someone who actually has a Genie can better explain) you have to type in a pin number that the client gives you into the Genie(I may have the sequence wrong,someone else can better explain this) & then whoever is installing the Genie-client/clients has to have the client/clients activating your account. If you are doing the installing,you have to call Directv to have your client/clients activated same as any DVR/receiver,& you pay $6.00 per client same as any DVR/receiver above your original DVR/receiver/Genie.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)