Not picking up all local channels with AM21 Off-Air Tuner?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

edisonprime

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 12, 2012
Hi I live in Rochester, MN and have a high-powered Winegard antenna and don't receive some of my off-air channels in my Genie through my antenna. It says on the box it's an ATSC off-air tuner, but I was wondering if certain channels in my area are not in that format (Rochester-Austin, MN; Mason City Iowa), and I know I can receive them for when I plug it in the back of the TV I get them all but not on the Genie, but always also got them with the Dongle with my OTA Tuner for the Hopper (used to have Dish), but just got DirecTV (which is WAY BETTER I think), and can't get get channels 3.3, 6.2, 47.2 & 58.1-7, but still can get 3.1-2, 6.1, 10.1-2, 15.1-4, 24.1-3, and 47.1, but still would like to receive the rest (especially MeTV and ThisTV). Am I doing something wrong or do I need something to convert them? (Has to connect coax to coax.) Answer as soon as you can for I'd really appreciate the help guys. Plan on "moving" to the Cities this week and get their stations as well. If I could get something real cheap but still good that would be great.

The AM21 does not scan for channels, it only uses which channels are in an in-house database which is based off Tribune Media. So, unless a local subchannel is both in the Tribune database and Directv's, you won't get it.

For example, I have this situation:
WUVC 40-1 Univision: in the database, I have it in my guide.
WUVC 40-2 Unimas: in the database, I have it in my guide.
WUVC 40-3 Bounce TV: NOT in the database, not on Directv guide
WUVC 40-4 Get TV: NOT in the database, not on Directv guide.

The Genie system USED to put the missing channels in the guide and just have a generic "regular schedule" for program listings, but that is being phased out. I lost mine a few weeks ago.

Iceberg lives up your way and will be able to steer you through what is specific to your area.

The AM21 does not scan for channels, it only uses which channels are in an in-house database which is based off Tribune Media. So, unless a local subchannel is both in the Tribune database and Directv's, you won't get it.

The Genie system USED to put the missing channels in the guide and just have a generic "regular schedule" for program listings, but that is being phased out. I lost mine a few weeks ago.

Iceberg lives up your way and will be able to steer you through what is specific to your area.

x725 (on 44s, and 34s in markets that have it) removed the ability to scan for ota channels specifically. This may or may not come back in a future software update. Not that they should have the right to do this, but I know in some NJ markets that are close to the Philly boarder, certain customers wanted the Philly locals and "moved" to get them, others didnt care that they received NY locals. The area I installed in literally had two sets of locals within 5miles of eachother. Scanning using OTA would have given customers all of the locals available (within range). Perhaps this is what DTV is combating by removing the scan feature. Altho I also found it odd that only the genie boxes were able to scan, all other HD boxes were forced to use the database that genies now use.

Yeah, I am on the border of 2 (3 if you wanna really get technical) DMAs. In fact, the channels from the DMA that I am not in (Raleigh) are stronger OTA. I have never even BEEN to the city my NBC station is from (Winston-Salem), and can't receive that station OTA. WNCN (Raleigh NBC) shares an RF channel with a station from the 3rd DMA (Roanoke VA) and they can make each other hard to receive. OTA scanning will be missed. There is no reasonable explanation as to why the the AM21 can't scan and link directly to the Tribune info for ALL channels. Directv shouldn't have to do anything, but alas, we are stuck with this backwards system.

x725 (on 44s, and 34s in markets that have it) removed the ability to scan for ota channels specifically. This may or may not come back in a future software update. Not that they should have the right to do this, but I know in some NJ markets that are close to the Philly boarder, certain customers wanted the Philly locals and "moved" to get them, others didnt care that they received NY locals. The area I installed in literally had two sets of locals within 5miles of eachother. Scanning using OTA would have given customers all of the locals available (within range). Perhaps this is what DTV is combating by removing the scan feature. Altho I also found it odd that only the genie boxes were able to scan, all other HD boxes were forced to use the database that genies now use.

Then would it be okay to "move" to the Twin Cities with my AM21 connected to my antenna? I don't want to get red flagged and would connect my antenna directly to my TV if I have to for my Rochester stations. I'd prefer to get my Rochester ones that I can with my DVR but still prefer the Twin Cities. Is there a way for them to tell if I have my OTA locals through Rochester, and my satellite locals through the Twin Cities. Would the Genie somehow let DirecTV know that I actually would be getting both that way?

You're fine to "move" with an AM21. I am a "moved" account and use the AM21. Regardless of where you physically are, it will just match the RF signals actually received by your antenna and display the ones that pair with the database in your guide, based on the zip codes you provide. You could "move" far away and still keep your true locals with the AM21.

I don't think they can tell. I don't think they care either. They know people "move" - and, unless your true locals whine, I think they turn a blind eye.

Last edited:
Hi I live in Rochester, MN and have a high-powered Winegard antenna and don't receive some of my off-air channels in my Genie through my antenna. It says on the box it's an ATSC off-air tuner, but I was wondering if certain channels in my area are not in that format (Rochester-Austin, MN; Mason City Iowa), and I know I can receive them for when I plug it in the back of the TV I get them all but not on the Genie, but always also got them with the Dongle with my OTA Tuner for the Hopper (used to have Dish), but just got DirecTV (which is WAY BETTER I think), and can't get get channels 3.3, 6.2, 47.2 & 58.1-7, but still can get 3.1-2, 6.1, 10.1-2, 15.1-4, 24.1-3, and 47.1, but still would like to receive the rest (especially MeTV and ThisTV). Am I doing something wrong or do I need something to convert them? (Has to connect coax to coax.) Answer as soon as you can for I'd really appreciate the help guys. Plan on "moving" to the Cities this week and get their stations as well. If I could get something real cheap but still good that would be great.
Here is something you can try. I have an AM21 paired with an HR24-200 and live in the Mpls/STP area. The database doesn't carry 23.3 29.3 29.4 and a few other channels, but i found out by accident how to get them. You have to repeat the INTIAL SET-UP on the AM21 with your primary zip (Roch MN) and then a secondary zip that carries the channel number you are looking for. In your case go to run the intial set-up with Roch as primary and Lansing MI (48901) as your sec zip. This should give you 47.2 as Lansing MI carries METV on that channel. Your guide would even be right as the channels match. Then after that's complete run intial set-up again with Roch as primary and Columbus OH (43085) as your sec zip. This should give you THIS TV because Columbus carries THIS TV on 6.2, again your guide will match. After that complete's do it again with Roch and Dallas TX (75065) to get channels 58.1-58.5 as Dallas carries these channels. Your guide will show the guide for the Dallas channels. Then a 4th time with Roc and Rapid City SD (57901) to pick-up channel 3.3. It will show guide info for the Rapid City channel. This process works for me on my AM21/HR24-200 set-up to get some MPLS/STP channels not in the database. I don't know if this will work with an HR34, but it's worth a try. Remember, your antenna signal has to be strong enough to pick-up those channels for it to work.

Last edited:
How do you get the AM21 to save 4 zip codes? It only has the ability to do 2 different DMAs at once...

Here is something you can try. I have an AM21 paired with an HR24-200 and live in the Mpls/STP area. The database doesn't carry 23.3 29.3 29.4 and a few other channels, but i found out by accident how to get them. You have to repeat the INTIAL SET-UP on the AM21 with your primary zip (Roch MN) and then a secondary zip that carries the channel number you are looking for. In your case go to run the intial set-up with Roch as primary and Lansing MI (48901) as your sec zip. This should give you 47.2 as Lansing MI carries METV on that channel. Your guide would even be right as the channels match. Then after that's complete run intial set-up again with Roch as primary and Columbus OH (43085) as your sec zip. This should give you THIS TV because Columbus carries THIS TV on 6.2, again your guide will match. After that complete's do it again with Roch and Dallas TX (75065) to get channels 58.1-58.5 as Dallas carries these channels. Your guide will show the guide for the Dallas channels. Then a 4th time with Roc and Rapid City SD (57901) to pick-up channel 3.3. It will show guide info for the Rapid City channel. This process works for me on my AM21/HR24-200 set-up to get some MPLS/STP channels not in the database. I don't know if this will work with an HR34, but it's worth a try. Remember, your antenna signal has to be strong enough to pick-up those channels for it to work.

?Worked!!! Thanks for your help!!!

How do you get the AM21 to save 4 zip codes? It only has the ability to do 2 different DMAs at once...

It only saves 2 zip codes, but by doing the intial set-up over and over with a different secondary zip it picks up channels from the last zip you entered without losing the previously entered zips. I don't know why but it seems to work.

BTW in case any of you guys are also from Rochester, MN. He meant 57701 not 57901 for that last one, but yeah it works!

Looking at the database their are 2 zip codes that carry a 40.3 and 40.4 channel Los Angeles CA (90001) and Memphis TN (37501). Try re-running the intial set-up on your AM21 with your primary zip and 37501 as your secondary zip and see if you get channels 40.3 and 40.4 with the Memphis guide.

Last edited:
I do not want to lose the 40ish channels I have in there already. I do not understand what y'all are doing! All I know is that now it's really messed up any my real locals are missing and all that works are the D* provided ones...

I do not want to lose the 40ish channels I have in there already. I do not understand what y'all are doing! All I know is that now it's really messed up any my real locals are missing and all that works are the D* provided ones...

?Try it. You won't.

So I got angry and RBR'ed the thing... and low and behold... IT WORKED!!! (Anyone got a zip for Bounce TV on 20.4?)

I don't know your situation, but you are at a point where you have to re-boot and completely flush out all the data (like your moving). After the AM21 is completely flushed (no channels) you start with the 2 zips for your DMA. Then keep doing the intial set-up over and over with your primary zip and any secondary zip necessary to get the channels you want. It takes some time to do this but I've always had success in doing this. For instance (If my DVR re-boots it will only pick-up the channels for the AM21 for the 2 zip codes that are stored at the time of the re-boot, I then have to do the intial set-up a few times to get some of the channels back).

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts