Winegard Trav'ler and HR44 in motorhome

Status
Please reply by conversation.
OK. Now I am confused. You say you have access to both East and West Coast feeds. That is available ONLY to RV accounts and very hard to come by in the last few years. (You have to fill out special forms and have a separate RV account to get that access today.) So, somehow you are already linked to an RV account or grandfathered into some special situation.

It is impossible to say how DirecTV would react to your setup. Since the clients can only work with the Genie it would be similar to my taking the bedroom receiver with us on our trips. It violates the "letter" of the TOS agreement, but sort of falls within the intent of the TOS. (We do not have viewers at two locations at the same time.) And D* has no way of knowing when we are on trips. I would suspect that a D* installer would balk at doing an install of clients in both a home and an RV. But, this is only speculation. I would assume the official word from D* would have to be two accounts; home and RV. It will be interesting to see what you find out.

Bob..
Sorry I didn't mean to confuse you.. Hell I am confused enough on my own!
Somewhere here I said I have been a DirecTv customer since 99.. At that time I couldn't get locals on Direct. I also could not get proper reception over the air (I live in the mountains). So I went through the process of getting letters from the local stations and was able to get East and West coast feeds.. After Direct was able to supply the locals I never dropped my two coast feeds as we really liked the ability to "Time Shift" it was worth the extra cost to me.. And, I use the same account (Unofficial) on my motorhome.. We still like the "time shift" ability..
I didn't think about the genie and clients only working with SWIM.. I would also have to carry an "Old Fashioned" receiver to make my parallel system work..
I will have to mull that one over..
? Ron

Ron,
OK. I understand now. I'm not sure you know just how hard it is to get what you have in today's environment. I downloaded the paperwork when I thought we might be on the road more, but decided against it. And I don't know who you could contact to get solid information on just what options you have if you want to keep your East and West Coast feeds in the future. D* just seems to do a horrible job of training their CSRs on "specialty" issues. They know the bread and butter things, but that is about all. The guy who really seems to know his stuff on matters like this (on this forum) is Iceberg. I guess you could PM him and get his input or at least an idea of who to contact.
Bob

I am not trying to further confuse the situation for you but why don't you upgrade your home first to the Genie,along with the clients. That way you'll already have them,you'll see just how small the clients are & then be able to transfer them along with your Genie to your RV when you go on vacation &/or road trips. Keep one of your original receivers for your carry out satellite dish if you ever have to use it,then buy the Trav'ler set up for your RV & have it set up according to your Genie & whatever type of clients you have. Take care of the Trav'ler dish last.

I am not trying to further confuse the situation for you but why don't you upgrade your home first to the Genie,along with the clients. That way you'll already have them,you'll see just how small the clients are & then be able to transfer them along with your Genie to your RV when you go on vacation &/or road trips. Keep one of your original receivers for your carry out satellite dish if you ever have to use it,then buy the Trav'ler set up for your RV & have it set up according to your Genie & whatever type of clients you have. Take care of the Trav'ler dish last.

Roy..
That really doesn't confuse the picture any more.. I really don't want another subscription.. I pay enough for the one I already have.. Don't mine the additional client charge but another $80 or so a month would stick in my craw.. You make a lot of sense by saying just carry them in and out... Can you buy the wireless bridge separately and the power inserters also? that would make the carry in and out easy..
? Ron

Roy..
That really doesn't confuse the picture any more.. I really don't want another subscription.. I pay enough for the one I already have.. Don't mine the additional client charge but another $80 or so a month would stick in my craw.. You make a lot of sense by saying just carry them in and out... Can you buy the wireless bridge separately and the power inserters also? that would make the carry in and out easy..
? Ron
I went SWM about 4 months ago at the house, I bought a new Camper about that same time and got an additional SWM LNB to use with my Phase III dish along with a power inserter, just ordered a splitter(bridge) for late this month hunting when we will likely have one of my HR's and a H going while camping for Baseball at night...

I went SWM about 4 months ago at the house, I bought a new Camper about that same time and got an additional SWM LNB to use with my Phase III dish along with a power inserter, just ordered a splitter(bridge) for late this month hunting when we will likely have one of my HR's and a H going while camping for Baseball at night...

Hi..
I need a new dish anyway.. I was going to go with a Winegard Trav'ler so I could get HD.. Otherwise trying to figure the rest out..
? Ron

Roy..
? Ron

I am going to take a wild guess & say that,when they come out,you have to buy the Wireless Video Bridge & the wireless clients together. The WVB will not work for the wired client. The wired clients actually look smaller than the wireless ones anyway. That is why I am saying to just get the Genie/clients first for your home. After you get the Genie/clients,then when you install the Winegard Trav'ler,you can wire according to the clients you have. You could go on Wireless Client watch until you both buy & get the Trav'ler installed. To me,the best suggestion is to periodically go to solidsignal.com & see if they have it listed yet. Even if the screen says "coming soon" or (preferably) "pre-order",that is a VERY GOOD sign that the wireless clients & WVB are coming out & it's not vaporware. You can also track release via eBay. When they start showing up on those sites,it's a very good sign.

I am going to take a wild guess & say that,when they come out,you have to buy the Wireless Video Bridge & the wireless clients together. The WVB will not work for the wired client. The wired clients actually look smaller than the wireless ones anyway. That is why I am saying to just get the Genie/clients first for your home. After you get the Genie/clients,then when you install the Winegard Trav'ler,you can wire according to the clients you have. You could go on Wireless Client watch until you both buy & get the Trav'ler installed. To me,the best suggestion is to periodically go to solidsignal.com & see if they have it listed yet. Even if the screen says "coming soon" or (preferably) "pre-order",that is a VERY GOOD sign that the wireless clients & WVB are coming out & it's not vaporware. You can also track release via eBay. When they start showing up on those sites,it's a very good sign.

Roy..
Decided to take the bull by the horns and called DirecTv this afternoon. Talked to 4 different people.. All were nice enough but the sales people couldn't really help me.. Finally hooked up with a very knowledgeable lady in the protection department (I subscribe) who was more than helpful and not just getting me off of the phone..
She ended up telling me that YES I could get a Genie and wireless clients for my coach.. She also suggested that I "Carry" out the genie and clients from the house when we travel.. She said would not be a hassle at all and wouldn't need a separate account for the coach! The only hang up is I have to wait till November 12th as that is when I am able to Upgrade.
All the right answers..
Gonna order the Trav'ler now so it will be in and ready to get when I can order..
? Ron

Since one here thinks I confuse things, I'll try to be short. A SWM LNB, presuming an SL3s, will not work with a Phase III without some arm modifications. Send me a PM and I'll point you to a link that shows you how.

Since one here thinks I confuse things, I'll try to be short. A SWM LNB, presuming an SL3s, will not work with a Phase III without some arm modifications. Send me a PM and I'll point you to a link that shows you how.
Actually some resourceful individual did get it to work & they even started a thread on it(if it was you,never mind).
?

Actually some resourceful individual did get it to work & they even started a thread on it(if it was you,never mind). ?

Yes it works as my avatar shows. As long as you have the details on the arm mods to get the focal point right, you are good to go. Keep in mind it ain't a Slimline and you will lose about about five points if you do it right.

Edit: I started fooling with this a couple of years ago. I think an SL3 might mate with a PhaseIII and work but if I recall the 99 and 103 were pretty weak. I went on to swap in a Dish 1000 which is bolt compatible but requires redoing the arm. It gives much better signal for the 99 and 103.

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts