Winter Weather headaches

Status
Not open for further replies.

cave1376

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 25, 2010
Hells waiting room (El Paso,TX)
With this weeks winter weather in the northeast, some of us only hear what the national news tells us. Others rarely experience what happened in the n.e. Tell us about your winter weather related headaches. Power outages, impassable roads, flight problems, and how long your headache lasted.

Only a slight headache in Ct at my ma's
Gas hot water furnace,so I used a 140w inverter to run that.36 hours on 1 charge.
2500w generator to charge car batteries during the day for the inverters for tv and to run her well water pump.That was 3x a day only.Smaller 800w generator to charge car batteries also.Got power back today 3am.Gas and propane stoves to cook on.Food in coolers with snow to keep cold.She did lose a lot of food from the freezers(mostly tv dinners)other food got eaten.

Cable tv was out due to the lack of ac to the amplifiers on the line.
I had to use ota for tv,which was pitiful with an indoor antenna.

Food stores that managed to stay open with limited service via generators hid their carriages-to prevent hoarding of food and water.It was cash only,people with credit/debit/food stamp cards were sol.You could only buy what you could carry in your arms.

I live in upstate New York in one of the snowiest cities in the country. Last winter, we got almost 200 inches of snow. Here we expect it and the various communities are prepared for it. Even the smallest villages have snow fighting equipment. The roads stayed open and the airport closed once for a total of about fifteen minutes. People go about their business. Sometimes schools will close, but most often it's not because of the snow, but because of the cold. If the wind chill is 20 below, people don't want their kids standing outside waiting for the school bus. DirecTV still works, speaking for myself, I've never had a snow related outage. You also never see dish covers or heaters around here.

The key to this is preparation. That's a lot of the trouble when a big storm hits further down the east coast. They don't have the experience of equipment to effectively deal with that sort of thing. I'm not blaming anyone because it just doesn't make a lot of sense for a city that normally gets a few inches of snow a year to invest tens of millions on heavy snow equipment. Of course, if these kinds of storms start becoming a pattern, a lot of public officials may have to start thinking about it.

markfp-1 said:
I live in upstate New York in one of the snowiest cities in the country. Last winter, we got almost 200 inches of snow. Here we expect it and the various communities are prepared for it. Even the smallest villages have snow fighting equipment. The roads stayed open and the airport closed once for a total of about fifteen minutes. People go about their business. Sometimes schools will close, but most often it's not because of the snow, but because of the cold. If the wind chill is 20 below, people don't want their kids standing outside waiting for the school bus. DirecTV still works, speaking for myself, I've never had a snow related outage. You also never see dish covers or heaters around here.

The key to this is preparation. That's a lot of the trouble when a big storm hits further down the east coast. They don't have the experience of equipment to effectively deal with that sort of thing. I'm not blaming anyone because it just doesn't make a lot of sense for a city that normally gets a few inches of snow a year to invest tens of millions on heavy snow equipment. Of course, if these kinds of storms start becoming a pattern, a lot of public officials may have to start thinking about it.

God I envy you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts