Wireless Connection

az99

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 27, 2014
How do I stop my Hopper from connecting to the internet over my wireless connection? Every thing I have tried it still reconnects every time the unit is turned off and on.

I have a LAN cable I can plug in if I ever need to connect it to the internet.

It is not password protected. :) But that may be the right direction. Maybe a wrong SSID or something. Thanx

HwS needs a simple option to shut off the WiFi. Imagine if your iPhones/Androids/iPads didn't have that option?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Yea really. I could not believe there was no way to shut it off either.

First off, ALWAYS set up a secure wireless network. WPA2 and (strong) password protected. Creating a hidden network by not broadcasting the SSID is OK for Joe Average prying eyes not seeing your wireless network (i.e., nosey neighbors), but anyone with a wireless network analyzer can pick it out of the data streams...if they really were looking for wireless networks to crack (doubt you have to worry about that much though).

Let me know when the house next door to you is up for sale. Would love to have free Internet access. :biggrin

Let me know when the house next door to you is up for sale. Would love to have free Internet access. :biggrin
There are no houses close to mine and anyone that came close enough to steal my wireless would be trespassing and shot. :)

Reactions: Tron2012
You can access your on demand. Use apps. stb health. Use your sling if you have it. You can stream content from your dlna enabled device. Its worth keeping it connected

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

Reactions: KAB
I ran into the same thing when I wanted mine off my wireless network.
I was having all kinds of problems my network at about the same time I installed my HWS and new smart tv which also was connected via wireless.
I put in a HIC to connect the hopper and shut down the tv's connection and the problems went away (not sure what the issue was or which was causing it and don't care as lone as its gone)
I ended up having to "lock" my wireless router to get the HWS to stop connecting via wifi, which as stated above I should have done a long time ago.

I ran into the same thing when I wanted mine off my wireless network.
I was having all kinds of problems my network at about the same time I installed my HWS and new smart tv which also was connected via wireless.
I put in a HIC to connect the hopper and shut down the tv's connection and the problems went away (not sure what the issue was or which was causing it and don't care as lone as its gone)
I ended up having to "lock" my wireless router to get the HWS to stop connecting via wifi, which as stated above I should have done a long time ago.
What do you mean "lock" your wireless router?

It's a simple task to make-up any password your like (if you want to make it a weak password because you don't care, fine) and secure you WiFi. Now the HWS will never get on your WiFi again.

Did the Dish engineers just presume that everyone has secured their WiFi by now? Seems like it. Absolutely, there should be an option to shut off WiFi. What if one lives next to a Starbucks or Panera Bread? :). That would be fun for the HWS.

I think then OP is needlessly causing himself frustration because he does not understand ALL the benefits of being connected.

Reactions: charlesrshell
I think then OP is needlessly causing himself frustration because he does not understand ALL the benefits of being connected.
So what are they other than ordering PPV ? Thanx

The last 3 smart a-- posts really helps a newbie asking a serious question.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts