Wireless Connectivity for DirecTV on Demand

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

wolfgame

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Sep 26, 2006
Greenville, SC
I do not have ethernet run to all of my TV's...but would like to use the Directv On Demand movie service. DTV wants $80 for a wireless adaptor....which seems high.

1) Can I use any 802.11N adaptor (like from Best Buy)?
2) Will the box automatically configure? IN the past when I have put one of these on a PC.....I have to load a driver...and there is no way to do that on a DTV box. I really want to get this going to today and not have to wait on DTV to deliver an overpriced adaptor.

Thanks

Well...I searched the forum and saw that someone recommended a Linksys Gaming Adaptor....those are $100. DTV wants $80 for theirs....does anyone know where I can get one cheaper?

The Linksys WGA600N that Directv sells can be configured from the HR2x DVRs.

You could also run a CAT5 cable between the DVR and your router or use powerline networking. Directv sells 85 Mbps powerline adapters for $25 (you would need two of these).

I do not have ethernet run to all of my TV's...but would like to use the Directv On Demand movie service. DTV wants $80 for a wireless adaptor....which seems high.
My recollection was that the HomePlug adapters that DIRECTV offers are around $40 each so they may have been offering you a pair for $80. You only need one for each MPEG4 capable DVR plus one for your router.

The Linksys WGA600N that Directv sells can be configured from the HR2x DVRs.

If you want to go wireless that's probably the best adapter to get since all you need to do is plug in into the HR2X and it will pop up with the config screens for it, no need to mess around connecting it to a PC to configure it.

My recollection was that the HomePlug adapters that DIRECTV offers are around $40 each so they may have been offering you a pair for $80. You only need one for each MPEG4 capable DVR plus one for your router.

The HomePlug adapters were initially $35, but that was later reduced to $25 ($50 for two). The $80 adapter is wireless, a Linksys WGA600N.

I went ahead and bought a Linksys wga600n....works great. Bought two...need one more if anyone knows where there is a deal.

Had a little difficulty typing in my network password (how to get a 0)....but then realized that if you press the O button twice really quick...it displayed. Up and running! Thanks for the help!

Luckily one of my DVRs is in the same room as my internet, but first I need to learn how to configure my router to work with the existing router in the house.
Only one router per modem. Configuring for bridging or WAP is typically a whole lot of trouble for little to no benefit.

Although you've already gotten the wireless adapters, I feel compelled to jump in and advise against the powerline adapters (I bought from D*, but I understand they are all basically the same). I got a pair and they work sporadically at best. Usually not at all. I've gone through all the troubleshooting and have basically given up on them... It really comes down to how your house is wired and what legs are running where and how and what might be in-between. It got to be too much.

I'm going wireless (WGA600N since that seems to be the easiest).

Wireless can have problems also. My house is L-shaped and the path from the router to my bedroom DVR goes through two exterior walls which have foil-backed insulation (the distance is probably 50 feet or so). That cuts the signal so much that music will barely play and video hardly at all. Powerline isn't perfect, but in my case it works much better. Hopefully MRV won't add any new issues (I could add ethernet cable, but it would be a pain--I'm getting too old to enjoy working in the crawlspace).

My Adapters fine

Although you've already gotten the wireless adapters, I feel compelled to jump in and advise against the powerline adapters (I bought from D*, but I understand they are all basically the same). I got a pair and they work sporadically at best. Usually not at all. I've gone through all the troubleshooting and have basically given up on them... It really comes down to how your house is wired and what legs are running where and how and what might be in-between. It got to be too much.

I'm going wireless (WGA600N since that seems to be the easiest).

I am using Panasonic power line adapters to my HR21 and another to an xbox 360. I got the first set on amazon.com for around 80.00 for the pair back in November. Set up took 2 min to pair the them and then just hooked then up and plugged them in. They have worked like a charm since. Can not tell a difference between my HR22 that is straight wired and the HR21 using adapter. They do say for you to plug your wall adapters directly in wall outlet not into a power strip or extension.

I've heard that many have had success with the powerlines (which is why I went that route to begin with), but in my case it has been nothing but a never ending aggravation... I can certainly understand how some houses would be better off with powerlines vs wireless, but the way my house it wired, it just - unfortunately - does not work worth a d*mn.

I suppose nothing's perfect (although direct Cat5e or 6 comes close).

FWIW...I have had no issues with the Linksys Wireless ones I purchased.....except it sure does take a long time to pull across HD movies.

FWIW...I have had no issues with the Linksys Wireless ones I purchased.....except it sure does take a long time to pull across HD movies.

That isn't dependent on the adapter, but on your internet connection speed and the speed of the Directv server connection, which apparently is about 6 Mbps.

I bought the Lynksys WGA600N when a local store had it on sale for $49. It was a pain to configure but works well. I won't bother trying to download HD movies unless it's something I'm going to download overnight. Just takes too long on a 6mb DSL connection. Hopefully someday they'll find better compression to make it faster.

Got a quick question regarding the Directv version of the plug in.

If I have one TV plugged in and one to the Router but its a different brand. If I bought one for another tv I have of of the website, as 24 dollars is a good price would it communicate with the other brand plug in....I am guessing not?

Got a quick question regarding the Directv version of the plug in.

If I have one TV plugged in and one to the Router but its a different brand. If I bought one for another tv I have of of the website, as 24 dollars is a good price would it communicate with the other brand plug in....I am guessing not?

If it is HomePlug 1.0 Turbo (as is the Directv brand) they should be compatible. I think they all use the same Intellon chips.

If it is HomePlug 1.0 Turbo (as is the Directv brand) they should be compatible. I think they all use the same Intellon chips.

Correct. All the 85Mbps ones all use the same INT5500 chipset, so they will all be compatible. The HomePlug 1.0 (14Mbps) ones will work as well (although at a lower speed).

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)