wireless internet connection for vod

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Get a Netgear XE103 and a Netgear XE104. Plug the XE103 into your router and the XE104 into the Ethernet port of your receiver and your XBOX, Playstation, Slingbox, etc. Piece of cake, everything is connected to the Internet. This is the same technology that Dish uses to link their 622 and 722 receivers to a home network (it's built into the 622/722).

Or if your looking for a cheap way, you can use a Xbox wireless adapter. Not the new one but the old one form the first Xbox. Thats what I'm using for my HR20-100. Works great with the VOD and you can find them really cheap on ebay.

If you are at least a tech savvy, you can make the connection for about 40 dollars. Pick up a Buffalo modem from Circuit City. Download the DD-WRT firmware. Configure it as a Client Bridge, and you now have a 4 port "gaming" adapter. I just did this over the weekend, and I have XBox Live up and running. I am waiting for DoD to be available to me. It isn't really that difficult to do if you have patience. I have never worked with flashing new firmware, but this was fairly easy.

The US Robotics USB Adapter won't work because the USB Port on the HR20-700 is not active for wireless connections. You need a wired connection, which is why you need a gaming adapter or a wireless bridge. I did the conversion listed above because I didn't want to spend $100 on an XBox 360 wireless adapter and/or 75 for a gaming adapter. I can plug 4 devices into this bridge via ethernet cables, and the device can be moved to just about anywhere in my house.

Good answer. Buffalo also makes a specific dedicated bridge too that I have been recommending here. Yes, it needs some configuration, but no more than the crappy wireless devices that you'd waste money and connect to each individual device. All you need to do is connect the bridge to your secure (I hope you don't have it wide open) wireless network and plug the devices in. It is best to assign it a static IP out of range of the scope to eliminate any conflicts and you're on your way in no time.

Could someone walk me through what would be need and how to set this up. I have a wired DSL connection and I assume I need a wireless adapter, but I'm sure what all to get. I have never set one up before some I'm not sure how to proceed.

Thanks

Could someone walk me through what would be need and how to set this up. I have a wired DSL connection and I assume I need a wireless adapter, but I'm sure what all to get. I have never set one up before some I'm not sure how to proceed.

Thanks

If you are not completely confident that you could setup a wireless network, you might want to consider the approach I mentioned above using powerline networking. You simply get 2 powerline-to-Ethernet bridges, plug one into an outlet near your receiver and connect the Ethernet cable to the Ethernet port on your receiver, then do the same with the other bridge at your router. There is no software to setup, and no worries about figuring out how to get a good enough signal strength to connect the two wireless devices.

Help with wireless

I'm using a Dlink DWL-2100AP set to AP client mode. With the default settings, my HR20-700 won't find the network or the internet. With the IP address, Subset, Gateway, and DNS set to my network settings, the HR20 shows all OK on the settings, Ok on the network but error (22) on the internet. I also tried a Dlink DWL-G810 (Old) game adapter with the same error. I don't have any problems getting the internet with any other wireless devices connected to my network or any game device connected to either adapters. Anyone have any idea what error code (22) means and how to get the HR20 to connect to the internet. Thx.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)