Wireless Joey AP

Simiglen

Original poster
Nov 6, 2021
Does the wireless AP NEED to be linked to the Hopper via Ethernet or can I plug the AP into my router? My AP has better position in my house if I use the router.

Thoughts?

Does the wireless AP NEED to be linked to the Hopper via Ethernet or can I plug the AP into my router? My AP has better position in my house if I use the router.

Thoughts?

Mine is in the garage but not exactly sure how it’s wired. It’s not plugged into my H3.

As long as the AP is on the same LAN, it will work. It can be on a router, switch, even a repeater/mesh access point.

I would definitely not recommend the latter however, since you don’t want a wireless connection between the AP and hopper. For the same reason I would advise having the hopper wired into the same switch/router as well.

All the WJs are slow as heck.
Ok. I don’t feel so bad.

For those reading this you do t have to plug you AP to the back of the hopper. My hopper is connected via Ethernet, so I wired my ap off of my switch. I then reset dish network and everything saw it other.

Reactions: charlesrshell
SNAP is a USB appliance that plugs into the top usb on the back of the Hopper 2 (possibly also the original Hopper) that speeds up the processing of the menu screens - makes it "snappier".

I still remember when it first came out. IIRC it's pre-CUI old/original interface was so fast it had to be slowed down!
Yep, remember those days of the old interface. It was back then when my father was the account holder, and when the CUI update came in it was not only hard for my old man to get used to but it was significantly slower. I think about a year or two later, we jumped ship over to the Wally when it launched to save money and get rid of it (still have it because it was purchased) even if we lost DVR functionality (I latter learned about EHD's back when I lurked this site).

It was a good receiver, and I understand the reason it got updated to CUI (well, at least I think it's because they wanted a similar experience on all Hopper family receiver's). But it still killed it for me.

Does you box lag? When I Hit the guide button it is slow to bring up the menu.

I just moved to a new house and used Dish mover to have my service installed here. In my old house the Wireless Joey was painfully slow, but here it’s pretty fast. I also added a second wireless Joey. Both are pretty fast compared to before.

I just moved to a new house and used Dish mover to have my service installed here. In my old house the Wireless Joey was painfully slow, but here it’s pretty fast. I also added a second wireless Joey. Both are pretty fast compared to before.
I've noticed a significant speed improvement for guide in the last week or so, even though the last firmware install was mid September.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)