Wireless Joey?

I've never heard of licensing requirements for low voltage data. Maybe in New York City?

Even here in Georgia, an LV license is required, but it is effectively at the company level, not per employee. To be fair, I'm not sure it is any different for coax vs cat5 here.

Sez who? I would think that the programming providers wouldn't care about any system that relays content exclusively within the home.

i believe you mis-understood the comment. it's not a case of being 'allowed' to provide the same experience. it's a case of not 'able' to provide. ie. The technology wasn't working properly.

Sez who? I would think that the programming providers wouldn't care about any system that relays content exclusively within the home.
i believe you mis-understood the comment. it's not a case of being 'allowed' to provide the same experience. it's a case of not 'able' to provide. ie. The technology wasn't working properly.
Meaning that you could watch a show at one time of the day and it would work fine, but then try it again at a later point in time and it wouldn't even though nothing has changed.

As someone who has worked hard at getting good quality HD streamed wirelessly from my office desktop PC to a game console or set-top box in the living room 20 feet away and through a not all that thick of a wall. It hasn't been easy getting the amount of bandwidth needed to do it consistently. I've tried different variations of frequencies and QoS but ended up getting the best using a router from one manufacturer and a bridge from another. When you would think that using both from the same vendor with the same high speed wireless boosting would be the best option.

And even then, I ran into issues with the bridge just refusing to keep a consistent connection with my 922 and repeatedly had to reboot it in order to restore the connection to the DISH servers. It cost me another $30, but I get better performance using the DISH Wireless USB than I did using the Ethernet port on the back of the receiver to the bridge. It shouldn't matter, but it does.

My point is, the more complicated you make it, the more ways things can go wrong. Especially with wireless. My advice to people wanting to try funky setups. Don't or at least wait for the installer to pull the truck out of the driveway. Don't waste his time.

Dusto:

This is a point I've been trying to make -- you want consistent, repeatable results and wireless is a huge wild card in the equation that becomes exceptionally difficult to deal with. And then, when the wireless breaks, whose responsibility is it to fix it? Dish or the customer?

I understand Dish's choice not to open that door... I've had enough challenges getting wireless that doesn't have to worry about QoS cleanly through my house.

The Cat5 discussion is for another day,but in terms of controlling the environment, i.e. maintaining QoS (here we go again) on a dedicated video network that wouldn't be problematic. Mixed in with the customer's other data becomes tricky once again.

Hopper/XiP811 has dual Ethernet ports. That might be a nice way to add a dedicated video network in the future. One to the premises LAN, one to the video LAN. But that is totally a WAG on a possible future implementation. And something I have no insight into.

Even here in Georgia, an LV license is required, but it is effectively at the company level, not per employee. To be fair, I'm not sure it is any different for coax vs cat5 here.
Oregon requires a personal LV license for just about everything. Doorbells are a different class from nurse calls and OTA antennas are a different license from satellite dishes. The LAN license has a significantly higher qualification bar.

What are the ethernet ports on the HR34 and H24 used for?
They are used as an alternative to DECA as you might expect. The buzzword they like to use is "unsupported" but it is precisely how DIRECTV did MRV (for free) prior to the release of their Whole Home DVR Service.

If that is the case, one should wonder why DIRECTV feels compelled to use special two-way splitters in their low-band MoCA installations.
As I said before DISH learned from DIRECTV's Mistakes.

At CES I talked to someone from Entropic who even admitted that the DISH Hopper MoCA setup was more robust then the DIRECTV solution.

My advice to people wanting to try funky setups. Don't or at least wait for the installer to pull the truck out of the driveway. Don't waste his time.[/QUOTE]
Or wait till after 12 days, we don't need silly TC12s. We have enough other things they can fail us on.

I didn't misinterpret your comment. My reply was to Scott's comment about DISH not being allowed to deliver the same content to two different "screens".

you still misinterpreted his comment. it was never a question of allowed. it's a question of capable.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)