Wireless USB Adapter deal

hansokl

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Oct 4, 2010
Atlanta
Hey everyone,

I have been thinking about getting the Wireless USB adapter from the Dish store and I actually saw this deal on-line @ Woot for a Wireless USB adapter $6.99. It looks like a good deal and wanted to pass it on. I'm not sure if it would work or not. Does anyone know if this one would work or not? Have a good day everyone!!

Thanks,

Because I'd like to comparison shop... I suspect that I'm not going to get an answer from seemingly prolific poster "Geronimo." :)
A comparison for you.. do you have anything else over there that needs networking?

I have mine setup with a wireless router. Then to eliminate any wireless hogging between laptops and the receiver (and other wired network devices I have by my 722k) I created a seperate wireless network.

I've posted about it elsewhere.. Newegg has had a Buffalo Wireless N router for 40 dollars (compatible with b/g/n) and it comes with buffalo's modified DD-WRT router firmware. With it, or with a current version of dd-wrt firmware, you can turn the router into a wireless access point ... the wireless connects back to your main wireless router, and then gives you 4 ethernet ports you can plug devices into.

In my case, I use this because beside my 722k I have an AV receiver that is networked, my bluray player, and I've a pc up there that I use once in a while.

In terms of cost... if I'd bought the adapter for my bluray when it first came out, that would've been 65 bucks, the adapter for the 722k (now) $25, and I never bothered to look up the cost of the adapter for my Onkyo..

...so that might be something to look into ... in my case I actually bought two of the routers ... and setup an N only network for those devices near the 722k so that I could keep that traffic off the Laptop wireless (wireless G & N seem to cohabitate better than two G's) but YMMV ...

I noticed that the 25 dollar adapter Dish is offering *is* N based ... keep in mind if you don't have an N based network, it will still work with G ... but most of the B/G networks are 54Meg ... and you'll be pushing the network hard if you have anything else going on while streaming. Remembering its not just the Dish receiver getting wireless ... and any distance or obstructions could reduce the connection speed even more..

Good Luck !!

Because I'd like to comparison shop... I suspect that I'm not going to get an answer from seemingly prolific poster "Geronimo." :)

Not sure why I am "Seemingly" prolific or even what that might mean but you will get an answer.

According to Hi Def Forum most of the Belkin adapters work on DISH VIP specifically the FD8053. I have also seen thread where there is considerable discussion about some Linksys adapters but for every post saying one worksthere is at least one saying they don't. Perhaps that is why I said it is hit or miss.

You can also use most gaming adapters.

Not sure about the tone of your posts Salti. Prior to this I had assumed we were at least passingly cordial but this one suggests otherwise. I guess I must have been mistaken. i don't want to take up the thread with a discussion about that but if you ever want to talk by PM I am bound to catch it. It is part of being seemingly prolific I guess. (lol)

Not sure about the tone of your posts Salti. Prior to this I had assumed we were at least passingly cordial but this one suggests otherwise. I guess I must have been mistaken. i don't want to take up the thread with a discussion about that but if you ever want to talk by PM I am bound to catch it. It is part of being seemingly prolific I guess. (lol)
Not sure what your problem is, but I am not interested in "want(ing) to talk by PM." lol

I wanted to know what other USB adapters might work with a Vip receiver. I'll pencil in the Belkin FD8053 at $34.99 at Amazon as a possible.

Glad to be of help but I think you know what I was commenting on.

Good luck to all on getting another USB adapter to work but I still think it is too hit or miss. A gaming adapter or wireless bridge would probably be a better idea as would just using the one DISH recommends.

We should but the point I have been trying to make is that it seems to be hit or miss. So I don't know that the list would be that valuable.

I would think the Dish branded or item sold by Dish is covered by DHPP (name since changed) which means they should re-place it if it should fail at no cost and no shipping cost. That may be a good reason to just get it from Dish's website, IF one has DHPP.

Salti, you've got your comparison. $35.00 for one that MIGHT work, or $25 for one that will work. And the winner is......?
I agree with Geronimo. What's the point of a list of "might work"? I don't see any gray area here.

Last edited:
Hey everyone,

I have been thinking about getting the Wireless USB adapter from the Dish store and I actually saw this deal on-line @ Woot for a Wireless USB adapter $6.99. It looks like a good deal and wanted to pass it on. I'm not sure if it would work or not. Does anyone know if this one would work or not? Have a good day everyone!!

Thanks,

Monoprice has them fairly reasonable too.

once again thumbs up to Monoprice. I am always surprised at what they carry and I am usually amazed at their low prices.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)