Wiring for C-Band actuator

Status
Please reply by conversation.

rrob311

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Nov 25, 2010
New England
I am in the process of setting up my 1st motorized C-Band dish and need a source/ideas on what I can use to wire the actuator to the receiver. I have a few 2 foot sections of wire but I need like 50' or so. Any ideas would be much appreciated. Thanks.

I"m not up to snuff on wire guage, but if you don't want to buy that regular ribbon cable you can purchase something that would work. For that short distance I mean.
Wire is expensive , so it may be smart to check prices of ribbon cable before you try buying 100' of 12guage stranded wire, you'll need the thicker wire for the DC to the motor. I have used
sprinkler wire for the sensor wiring, some actuators work with just 2 wires for the sensor, and others need 3 (sensor, 5volt and a ground). Building supply stores usually have plenty of sprinkler wire and it will be much smaller guage than the DC wires.

" I have used sprinkler wire for the sensor wiring, some actuators work with just 2 wires for the sensor, and others need 3 (sensor, 5volt and a ground). Building supply stores usually have plenty of sprinkler wire and it will be much smaller guage than the DC wires"

I did check out Home Depot for sprinkler wiring for the actuator. The set w/ 4 wires was 44$ for 75feet IIRC. The 7 wire set was almost double in price.

Cheers, K

I used a shielded 6 conductor 18 gauge wire for an 60 foot run and this works good for me. I had this stored in my building ,so I used it.
2 wires for motor and 2 wires for the sensor. That will give me extra wire for the future if needed.

I used the 7 wire Home depot underground sprinkler wire. 4 wires (doubled) for power, and 2 for the sensor. That leaves a single wire left over for something else to be determined. Works perfectly at 100 feet.

I priced sprinkler wire and it was expensive here. I went with 4 conductor telephone wire. Think I got a 50 or 100 foot roll at one of the big box stores or Rat Shack. It's the solid conductor stuff. I buried it in pvc and it's been there three years no problem.

I know the primary line to the lnb has a solid copper wire in it, and can therefore take quite a bit of movement without breaking, but that made me a little nervous where sprinkller cable was concerned.

Like others here, I use 4 wire sprinkler cable. When I first got it, (by the way I decided on it without the benefit of any advice) I reasoned that sprinkler wire isn't designed to move. I therefore put a junction box in, and the last twelve feet of wire I used stranded appliance cord. The other guys using sprinkler wire are apparently getting away without any stranded wire, but it's what I used.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts