wiring for my actuator??

Status
Please reply by conversation.

suzsat

Original poster
May 19, 2009
1 stoplight town,oklahoma
excuse my lack of sat lingo/knowledge.....here goes. Ive found myself unemployed, and DTV has shut off my service (Ive had no TV for a week!!) So I thought maybe I could dust off the ole big dish. its an 8 ft mesh dish about 11-12 yo. I left the cable hanging on the dish, so i go out there, and part of the cable that has 3 small wires-brwn, orange, green, and 2 sl lrgr wires-red and white-- they arent attatched to anything........:what the reciever is a US Elect, Legacy Videocipher-RS. and those wires, all except the brown hook into the 'actuator' on it, where does the other end go?? Im assuming its what moves the dish.......:confused: plz can anyone help a gal out?

There should be an arm that extends from the dish, Thats where the wires connect to.. You would have to remove the back cover off of it and appropriately wire the motor, (im sure some one here has a diagram) the other end go's with the receiver and get hooks up there to the actuator inputs.

You might want to consider a 4DTV box as I dont think there is to much more you can pick up with that reciver. As time chages so does technology.

The 2 large wires go to the motor of the actuator, 2 of the 3 small ones are for the reed switch. Your actuator has M1 and M2 on it, thats where the big ones go. Then there should be a sensor + and ground - , connect the small ones to that. The last wire is only if you are using a hall effect sensor and need 5 volts.

Here's a picture of my actuator. In my situation, the wires from the reed sensor of the actuator were brown and blue. The green is the ground and there is probably a clearly marked terminal on the back of your receiver for the ground wire. On my setup the blue went to a terminal marked "Pulse", but as stated above, you probably need to find a 4DTV receiver to really reap the benefits of that big dish. Good luck.

Attachments

• D91.JPG
    D91.JPG
    87 KB · Views: 325
thanks, now how to upgrade analog............

thanks everyone for all your help/replies. unfortunately when i opened the actuator, it appears that the wires were yanked out. sometime within the last 10 yrs i probably got it hooked on the riding mower-i did that several times/ just dont remember pulling those wires out. but inside the pieces fell out when i opened it so its toast, but good news is other than that its all hooked up right- just stuck on sat G5, with no FTA channels. so that shouldnt be too costly to replace. also what about all the DTV, HDTV, 4DTV, side cars?? i do have an HDTV, what would be the least exp route to upgrade my analog reciever??

thanks everyone for all your help/replies. unfortunately when i opened the actuator, it appears that the wires were yanked out. sometime within the last 10 yrs i probably got it hooked on the riding mower-i did that several times/ just dont remember pulling those wires out. but inside the pieces fell out when i opened it so its toast, but good news is other than that its all hooked up right- just stuck on sat G5, with no FTA channels. so that shouldnt be too costly to replace. also what about all the DTV, HDTV, 4DTV, side cars?? i do have an HDTV, what would be the least exp route to upgrade my analog reciever??

I would start looking for a 4DTV receiver. A DSR 922 is the best then the DSR 920. (look on e-bay). The sidecar is a DSR 905 you need a analog receiver also to use that.

if you already have a analog receiver then i would get a 902

but that is alot of work changing the satellite on your analog receiver then going back over to the 4dtv

ebay is not a very good place to look for a 4dtv as they usualy bring high prices

i would post an ad on craigslist in your area, or your paper, you may score one.

if you have an hd set, you can get an hd-200 decoder off ebay to get some channels in hd, but i dont think every channel is hd like directv or dish ( i think)

4dtv uses the same technology cable companies use, the channels are not compressed and have excellent pictuture quailty

if you measure the size of your acuator, you can order one from sadoun, and replace the old one on your dish, but what all fell out? if its the terminal plate, in can be replaced, but if it yanked out gears and springs, thats a diffrent story,

a picture of your dish and acuator would be a help

if you already have a analog receiver then i would get a 902

The sidecar is a DSR 905

4dtv uses the same technology cable companies use, the channels are not compressed and have excellent pictuture quailty
4DTV uses Digicipher 2, it is compressed. On C band you are receiving the master feeds or the W5 HITS feeds that are not bitstarved like the LSD dishes.

The only channels that are bitstarved are the NPS G3 reuplinked muxes. They have been promising to rectify that for months now but so far have not done anything. I kinda doubt it's ever going to happen anymore. NPS talks of doing a lot of things but there track record isn't very good.

if you measure the size of your acuator, you can order one from sadoun,
Sadoun sells the Moteck actuators. I bought there 24" Heavy duty actuator last January to replace my Thompson Saginaw that died after 19 and 1/2 years of service. While not in the same class as the Thompson. It is a very good jack. I would recommend it. I just need to replace the brushes in my TS which I want to do this summer then it will be good as new again. It will be nice to have as a backup.

Just a word of experience, if you plan on using the BUD for Ku, don't go cheap on the Arm.
I replaced mine last year, and went cheap with a 24" Venture Max, it's a little loose inside. So on gusty days it bounces a bit too much for Ku.

The Moteck Heavy Duty arm I bought is tighter than my Thompson Saginaw was. I was really surprised by it's quality and lower price.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)