Wiring question on existing install

Status
Please reply by conversation.

awright

Original poster
Mar 10, 2013
iniana
Hi,
Great site, longtime lurker new member with a question. I have a swm setup running into my house. Only 1 tv hooked up to an hr24. Since I only have the 1 tv hooked up there is not splitter where the line from the dish runs to my garage and connects to my existing line heading to the hr24. I want to put a box I got from a friend in (d11) in my bedroom so I can watch tv there. Can I just simply install a splitter in my garage connecting the bedroom as well and have signal to my rooms without issue? Should I look for a green splitter or will any wide band splitter work?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Hi,
Great site, longtime lurker new member with a question. I have a swm setup running into my house. Only 1 tv hooked up to an hr24. Since I only have the 1 tv hooked up there is not splitter where the line from the dish runs to my garage and connects to my existing line heading to the hr24. I want to put a box I got from a friend in (d11) in my bedroom so I can watch tv there. Can I just simply install a splitter in my garage connecting the bedroom as well and have signal to my rooms without issue? Should I look for a green splitter or will any wide band splitter work?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Yes and No

Yes you could add a splitter, must be a SWM splitter though.
IIRC, the D11 is NOT SWM compatible, so you would want a different recvr.

Yes and No

Yes you could add a splitter, must be a SWM splitter though.
IIRC, the D11 is NOT SWM compatible, so you would want a different recvr.

We have a winner!! D11's are not SWM compatible. Only D12's, R16's, and R22's are the only standard boxes that work with SWM.

on a side note.. if you look for another receiver, theres a couple things to be aware of.. if the receiver is used you want to check that its not a leased receiver before any money changes hands (direcTV wont activate it and you'll be out your money).. also, if you get an R22, it'll act as an HD-DVR since you already have an HD receiver on your account.. (the R22 is the only SD-DVR that'll do that.. it's actually a Hybrid DVR)..
The most important thing is to check on any used receivers before you give anybody any money.. You'll want the Receiver ID number AND the Access Card number, then call DirecTV and ask them to check that 1. The receiver is free and clear and 2. that the receiver is paired with that access card.. although, most likely, they'll make you get a new access card to activate it on your account...

on a side note.. if you look for another receiver, theres a couple things to be aware of.. if the receiver is used you want to check that its not a leased receiver before any money changes hands (direcTV wont activate it and you'll be out your money).. also, if you get an R22, it'll act as an HD-DVR since you already have an HD receiver on your account.. (the R22 is the only SD-DVR that'll do that.. it's actually a Hybrid DVR)..
The most important thing is to check on any used receivers before you give anybody any money.. You'll want the Receiver ID number AND the Access Card number, then call DirecTV and ask them to check that 1. The receiver is free and clear and 2. that the receiver is paired with that access card.. although, most likely, they'll make you get a new access card to activate it on your account...

You don't need the access card number, just the receiver ID #. And when you call, ask for the access card department, they will tell you if the receiver can be activated by you, I would not trust just a regular CSR to give you good info.

And you WILL have to get a new access card, $20...

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)