Moving Need Help and Possible Installer....

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Beachinmoney

Original poster
Mar 9, 2013
Buckeye, AZ
Hi, I am moving in 90 days to 3 months and getting Directv. I know, why not wait... because we have to get rid of Cox before it becomes a permanent contract. We were living with Roku for the past two years because we knew we would be buying but my Husband absolutely could not stand it a moment longer and we have had Cox, a nightmare for 2 weeks so he won't go back to Roku now. Here's the question. We qualified for the Genie and another receiver and a good discount rate for the 1st year and even some discounting into the 2nd year. We may add two more receivers... The point is, what is involved in moving. If we take the Dish and just put it up our self what do we need to pay Directv for? Can't we just hire someone to do it? Can't we do it ourselves? What is involved. Please help. We are in Buckeye, AZ so if anyone is willing to do it cheap let me know.

Last edited:
Hi, I am moving in 90 days to 3 months and getting Directv. I know, why not wait... because we have to get rid of Cox before it becomes a permanent contract. We were living with Roku for the past two years because we knew we would be buying but my Husband absolutely could not stand it a moment longer and we have had Cox, a nightmare for 2 weeks so he won't go back to Roku now. Here's the question. We qualified for the Genie and another receiver and a good discount rate for the 1st year and even some discounting into the 2nd year. We may add two more receivers... The point is, what is involved in moving. If we take the Dish and just put it up our self what do we need to pay Directv for? Can't we just hire someone to do it? Can't we do it ourselves? What is involved. Please help. We are in Buckeye, AZ so if anyone is willing to do it cheap let me know.

The dish is not the issue. Leave it where it is. What you are paying for...(best guess) ...is advanced receivers. Just take the boxes you have and go. They will do the rest. A future issue will be a dish location where you move and the availability of a Line of Sight (LOS). You may not be able to receive Directv at your new address.

Joe

Well first of all no, they won't do the rest because I'm not signing up if I have to pay 200$ to move. 2nd, Depending on which house I buy it's a maximum of 3 miles from where I live now so I know there is service. My question was doing it ourselves, what that entailed and or getting an installer thru this forum or maybe a Craigslist ad to do a portion if we are unable to... What if anything needs to be done that the average person doesn't have access to do? As far as having access to DirecTV where we move, if that were any concern or issue I certainly wouldn't be trying to get service at all now.

Last edited:
:welcome to Satelliteguys Beachinmoney!

I don't understand your statement about Cox becoming permanent. I have Cox for internet and my land line. I can cancel them at any time. Is there some reason why you couldn't? As far as installing Directv yourself, if you are handy, it's not difficult. Joe's point about LOS problems means that there could be obstructions, usually trees, that prevents you from being able to access the signals from the satellites.

Beach,
Do you know what house your moving into ?
If so, go by and check to see if you have Line of Sight (LOS) at the location your moving to.

IF you don't know where your moving to, Joe makes a very good point about los, make sure you have los to the south/southwest at the new location.

YES, you can move it yourself, if you know how to run cables and make fittings and align a dish and possible install a pole, (concrete is advised).

Were all trying to help you make an educated guess here, but your not helping much.

D* has a "Movers Connection" plan that is Free, but I believe you have to be a sub for 6 months before you can use it.

Yes there is line of sight. I'm not helping much? I'm sorry, how is that exactly? I can run cables, install fittings, can run a pole but I wouldn't pretend to know how to align. I read a post about that. That is why I asked about hiring an installer. I am willing to pay someone to do the things that we aren't trained to do. It just doesn't seem like it should cost $200. It seems like if we run cable to the boxes etc.. that to align the dish, maybe even attach it to the house and run those cables where they need to go, that we could get someone for maybe $75. How much time are we talking about. I had dish years ago but all I know is they ran the wire to the house. The inside work I'm sure we could do...To elaberate, when the Cox guy came here all the wiring is already going into the home. All he did was something in the fusebox and hook up the TV's and then call in to activate. From what I am learning it's different with satellite in that you have to align the signal but is there anything else that is more work then that part?

You might be able to find someone to do the dish alignment for $75 if that's all they are going to do. I'm guessing it would have to be a side job, not directly through an installation company as they would likely charge more than $75. Can you address the Cox being permanent issue? I don't understand it.

Chip, ever been to Buckeye, AZ? I think there maybe two tree's here. If you can call them that! I'm from WA where they have real trees!

Yeah, the TV is a contract amount, it's a discount price for 6 months then it goes up and they give it based on you keeping it for the term. It's had issues since we got it and due to price and the channels it's not worth keeping. What do you think an installer, not DirecTV would normally charge? What about calling one of the authorized dealers and offering to sign up through them instead of the DirecTV site and telling them about the move and asking them if they will cover it...? I found an authorized dealer in my Google search and saw one where it said they would move for free for up to two years. It's just in our case we're moving sooner then later, but after that probably not going anywhere for at least 3 years...

You might be able to pay the normal monthly amount to Cox, not the discounted price, and just go month to month. If you have had technical issues, you might be able get out of the contract on that basis. As to the cost for a local installer, call and ask. That's the only real way to find out what they would charge.

Yes there is line of sight. I'm not helping much? I'm sorry, how is that exactly? I can run cables, install fittings, can run a pole but I wouldn't pretend to know how to align. I read a post about that. That is why I asked about hiring an installer. I am willing to pay someone to do the things that we aren't trained to do. It just doesn't seem like it should cost $200. It seems like if we run cable to the boxes etc.. that to align the dish, maybe even attach it to the house and run those cables where they need to go, that we could get someone for maybe $75. How much time are we talking about. I had dish years ago but all I know is they ran the wire to the house. The inside work I'm sure we could do...To elaberate, when the Cox guy came here all the wiring is already going into the home. All he did was something in the fusebox and hook up the TV's and then call in to activate. From what I am learning it's different with satellite in that you have to align the signal but is there anything else that is more work then that part?

$200 does sound like alot.

I would try calling a "Local" Installation company and see what they say, they may come out and just point the dish for you, most charge at ;least $50 to point the dish though, that hardly covers the installer getting the truck to your place.

drive around looking for a directv van or truck, or guy in a blue shirt and yell...

YOOO IF I PAY YOU 50BUCKS IN CASH WILL YOU COME REPEAK MY DISH QUICK?

If you're looking for it you'll never find 1, however if the need is not there you'll bump into these guys everywhere. It's called newton's law. :D

$200 does sound like alot.

I would try calling a "Local" Installation company and see what they say, they may come out and just point the dish for you, most charge at ;least $50 to point the dish though, that hardly covers the installer getting the truck to your place.

Jimbo,
You are correct. I did a mapquest look at Buckeye, AZ. It is just down the road from Phoenix,AZ. Getting to Buckeye from the other side of AZ would be a $200.00 run, ez. But finding a tech who could schedule it when in the area could work. Beachinmoney is correct...there ain't many trees and the buildings are low. There might even be a Directv rig on the building.

Joe

Problem is you don't really have an idea of what you need to make it work. After buying tools, PROPER cable (yes, directv requires a certain kind of coax cable) fittings, drill, drill bits, a new pole or mount, fittings, and grounding materials you're gonna be well over the $200 range. Most people on this forum can do a complete install but today's satellite isn't your dads old systems. These are very advanced systems. A slightest bend the wrong way or bad connecter in 1 place can cause havoc on the entire system. If it was me, I'd be charging you over $100 to do the install, prolly $60-60 just to peak the dish. I would talk your husband in to waiting for the switch. I'm not in anyways saying you're not capable of doing the install but I don't think you've actually completely thought all the pieces you have to put together to make it work, let alone the price of tools that'll be needed just to be used once and put up. I don't think $200 is what Directv will charge you but I'd still wait until you've made the move to have it installed

Problem is you don't really have an idea of what you need to make it work. After buying tools, PROPER cable (yes, directv requires a certain kind of coax cable) fittings, drill, drill bits, a new pole or mount, fittings, and grounding materials you're gonna be well over the $200 range. Most people on this forum can do a complete install but today's satellite isn't your dads old systems. These are very advanced systems. A slightest bend the wrong way or bad connecter in 1 place can cause havoc on the entire system. If it was me, I'd be charging you over $100 to do the install, prolly $60-60 just to peak the dish. I would talk your husband in to waiting for the switch. I'm not in anyways saying you're not capable of doing the install but I don't think you've actually completely thought all the pieces you have to put together to make it work, let alone the price of tools that'll be needed just to be used once and put up. I don't think $200 is what Directv will charge you but I'd still wait until you've made the move to have it installed

Hutch,
I think I have it! Been there before and have the tee shirt. Directv used to sell their stuff over the counter and normally skilled folks would attempt to set them up. This was just the 18" round dish to hit the 101 sat. The problems were always exactly what is going on here. All the sub skills of an installation seem pretty simple...and they are... but they must be done correctly every time. I have rolled in on completely installed systems that, like this situation, "just need pointing." More often there was a bit of diagnosis to discover what else needed to be redone.

So I agree....there may be a Directv rig already installed. The hourly rate will probably get it done. I think little will be accomplished by taking a crack at putting things together.. This lady needs to find a local tech....Phoenix is a big place and maybe someone here or the installer site can help.

Joe

Not sure this was your intended comparison, but peaking an 18 to the 101 in no way accurately compares to peaking a ka/ku dish imo.

Sent from my PG06100 using Tapatalk 2
Quite so!
That earlier rig was pretty bullet proof. The ka/ku is similar but everything must be correct...esp the plumb mast & LOS is much wider. Someone who had done many 101 rigs will be ok but it is a bit daunting to just start opening the boxes and assembling one without prior experience. It is even possible to damage the dish assembling it incorrectly. One staple spike will likewise ruin yer day. And "just peaking" requires a $500.00 range Birddog or similar.

My point was that there were problems with the earlier / ez rig. Hitting as many as five sats requires ya take the gum out of yer mouth and do it before beer. After the first hundred or so it gets easier.

Joe

Quite so!
That earlier rig was pretty bullet proof. The ka/ku is similar but everything must be correct...esp the plumb mast & LOS is much wider. Someone who had done many 101 rigs will be ok but it is a bit daunting to just start opening the boxes and assembling one without prior experience. It is even possible to damage the dish assembling it incorrectly. One staple spike will likewise ruin yer day. And "just peaking" requires a $500.00 range Birddog or similar.

My point was that there were problems with the earlier / ez rig. Hitting as many as five sats requires ya take the gum out of yer mouth and do it before beer. After the first hundred or so it gets easier.

Joe

Yeah, you nailed it. $500 meter. Same thing as any profession, all tools cost money and meters are the saltiest. Nobody wants to do something for free when they've got $500-2K wrapped up in tools. I think you're correct though, finding a local installer is going to be the best bet for her. If she or her husband had experience then I could understand but if the entire job needs done, better call for back up

When did it start costing money for a new-customer install? What am I missing? I didn't pay a cent when I signed up. No one I have asked did either.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts