Adding genie and keeping 2 other HD DVRs

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

CRUZN8R

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Feb 24, 2004
Long Beach, WA
I have had Directv since 2007.
I have an appt to have Genie upgrade installed. I have 5 TVs and I am keeping 2 HR20 DVRs
I am getting new 2 mini clients to replace the non DVR H20s I had.
The CSR first suggested 4 new mini genies, but i said, wait, i want to keep my DVR's!! then they said yes you can.
The new Genie is going in my theater room.

My question is what device would I prefer to use in my home office where I spend most of my working day.
Should I still use one of the old HR20 DVRs in my home office?
Is the mini genie remote and menu faster than a HR20 menu?
or should I move the HR20 to another room and use a mini genie client in the office.

I expect I can watch any DVR from any TV right,? so does it really matter what room they are in?

What is the best strategy here?

Thanks for any help.

Mike

I don't know about speed since have HR/H 24 models with a Genie. Yes all DVRs will show up when you hit list.

I know a few of us are having issues with MRV and the Genie. About every 3 days I have to so a RBR to fix it. So if your kind of lazy like me I'd put a HR20 in your farthest point incase you experience the same issue then you can at least watch live tv if your too lazy to run to the genie to reset. Just my opinion.

Posted Using The New SatelliteGuys Reader App!

If you decide to keep your existing dvr's they really need to be upgraded.you will need receiver deca's on the Hr20's or they will not see the genie and vice versa,they clients will see the list on all dvrs if they all have the reciever deca's hr24 have them built in all lesser models do not have them and they have to be added,,,,However the clients will not be able to play the list from the other Dvr's they will only see the list because they see whatever the Genie see,,,, but the clients do not share the other dvr's because they are not designed to do so.,That is why the have no tuners built in because they work in conjuction with only the Genie. I hope this helps.

The mini clients will not see the other DVR's?
wow, that is not the way they answered my questions.
I asked them if all TV's will see all DVR's and they said yes.

One DVR is HR20-100S and one is HR20-700
Any chance the installer WILL replace the DVR's? or will they just add the DECAs?

The mini clients will not see the other DVR's?
wow, that is not the way they answered my questions.
I asked them if all TV's will see all DVR's and they said yes.

One DVR is HR20-100S and one is HR20-700
Any chance the installer WILL replace the DVR's? or will they just add the DECAs?

In my case they replaced the HR20-100 and had me keep the HR20-700. The 100 needs an extra part to work and they don't carry them on the trucks.

If you decide to keep your existing dvr's they really need to be upgraded.you will need receiver deca's on the Hr20's or they will not see the genie and vice versa,they clients will see the list on all dvrs if they all have the reciever deca's hr24 have them built in all lesser models do not have them and they have to be added,,,,However the clients will not be able to play the list from the other Dvr's they will only see the list because they see whatever the Genie see,,,, but the clients do not share the other dvr's because they are not designed to do so.,That is why the have no tuners built in because they work in conjuction with only the Genie. I hope this helps.

What? Clients can see and play recording content via any HRXX now as long as the genie can see that receiver. This was done in a software update, it's been talked about for about 2 months now. Now you do have to have a genie to run a client but that's a different day ;)

Minor thing, unless you're me, then it's a big thing... if you have an AM21 on the Genie, the clients WILL see the OTA channels directly on the guide, but the other DVRs will not.

Ok so I got my Whole Home DVR install done. I have all new equipment (9 tuners)
1 HR34-700 Genie
1 HR24-500
1 HR24-200
2x C31

I like that I can see any recorded DVR shows on the "Play List"

How come I cannot tell which DVR the show is recorded on?
When I click Guide from a DVR I cannot see the record symbol for shows recording on the other DVRs
So is it true you can share the "play list", but not the "to do list" or "series manager"?
It seems like this was designed well for a Genie and all mini-Clients, but for a Multi-DVR setup: the list is OK, but managing shows to record is disjointed (not shared at all).

Am I correct?

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)