directv genie cable internet signal combiner?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

mwpclark

Original poster
Jan 10, 2013
California
Hello

I have been told by the guys who installed our directv system that it is not possible to put the cable company internet signal through the same coax cable that carries the satellite signal, using the genie satellite dvr box and the sub-boxes in the other rooms.

They have not explained why. I know that I have done this previously with another satellite tv system but not the genie, using a signal combiner or specialized splitter.

Any feedback? I tried searching this forum but did not find this specific issue.

If I could do this in one room it would save some major headache.

Thanks in advance

Mike

I always understood it as nothing could be diplexed into a SWM setup...HOWEVER here at the apartment complex I live in they do diplex in satellite and cable internet. We get D* "free" here (SD with a D12) or we can pay extra for HD (or HD DVR). There are stock (ie: consumer) diplexers in the basement with a line from the cable tap (for internet) and a line for the D* receiver.

I wonder because it isn't HD that might be why they can do that. I have a Genie here but they dont know about it ;) (why get rid of Genie to pay $250 for a HD DVR and $20 a month to get the "free" satellite) ;)

The way you phrased the question is confusing but I'm gonna give it a shot... If I misunderstand try rephrasing..
If your talking about bringing the Cable internet into the home using the same coax as the DirecTV uses, then no, can't be done.
But, if the Cable Internet is already in the home and connected to a modem and/or Router, then yes, you can connect the receivers to the internet. All you need is the Cinema Connection Kit. That will connect the Coax network to the Internet. There are 2 types: Wired and Wireless. If you have a wireless Router, then wireless is probably the easiest way to go.
Hope that helps.

now to add to more of the confusion on the D* forum (the actual directv forum) someone mentions a MDU setup and a HR24 and internet...

Actually you can pass internet signal through the same coax line as Directv this is the D2 advantage system (formerly called the MFH2). Once the signal enters the customers unti it has to be run through a special triplexer which seperates the Directv signal (920-1850MHz & 2.3MHz) from the internet signal (5-850MHz). The part number on the special triplexer should be MDU3XFLTR009.

I mentioned in a different thread that here at the apt complex there are a couple of them in the basement in the boxes

Apparently, Ice and I were both answering at the same time.. If he says it CAN be done, then I would defer to him.. I've always been told it can't.. that it will scramble the signals from the Dish... but he has proven in the past to know a few things that I don't (darnit).
The second part of my answer tho stands. With this added... You can also run an Ethernet cable directly to the Genie. The Genie would then distribute the internet throughout the Coax also (no need for a Cinema Connection Kit if you do it that way... thin I actually learned that from Ice, back when they introduced the Genie)

Thank you for your answers. Iceberg I think you got the picture. I am still waiting for the one guy to ask the other guy, the actual installer, why exactly. He thought there *might* be an issue with the amount of data with HD. If that's the case I will take the chance, it's just one room and I don't need much use.

Lanarian, the house has internet, it had cable before, we replaced with directv, but kept the internet from the cable company, going to one room only. So everything comes into one box, the satellite signal goes out to other rooms, and the internet signal goes out to the one room. I want to try to split the satellite signal and diplex it into the coax with the internet rather than running another wire to that room.

if you are working with an actual installer, tell him to use the part number posted above for the diplexer/triplexer
MDU3XFLTR009

like I say a couple folks at the complex have them set up so I assume they have HD and internet (well I know they have internet as a cable comes from the cable company tap)
There are basic diplexers too but I assume (again just assuming) that they are SD only

here is the picture of said item

Thanks I looked that up and called them and left that part number with the tech support guy, he will pass it to the installer and I will see what happens. If nothing else, the part is like $20 online. Cheers......

Thanks Al. So then "whole house" means one "server" dvr in one room and small "client" boxes in other rooms? That's what we have, the small boxes have to talk to the big box. If this is impossible, can you explain technically why not?

The whole home uses lower bandwith signals. Same as what the internet uses. That is why most installers will not try to Diplex SWM and cable. Most of the time you are doing whole home setups. It causes nothing but problem when you do it. Run a seperate line for both save the headache.

The SWM frequency band sits below the regular DirecTV satellite signals, and then the frequency band for whole home sits below those. SWM also uses a signal down at 2.3MHz for control signals. There are three problems trying to diplex cable internet. First, either the main and return cable internet signals usually fall into one of the already used frequency bands. Second, the cable internet might actually carry some regular TV signals even if you don't use them. And third, many diplexers don't pass the low frequency SWM control signal. All in all, for the average install it's pretty well doomed to failure.
The MFH3 system is a special system only for apartment buildings using ethernet to carry DirecTV and using special receivers. It can carry internet access along with the DirecTV signals.

Last edited:
The MFH3 system is a special system only for apartment buildings using ethernet to carry DirecTV and using special receivers. It can carry internet access along with the DirecTV signals.

All they give here is D12's for SD and HR2X for HD...same recievers on regular accounts

you could redneck legacy hd and cable together too, just not with swm, ive used run of the mill dishnet diplexers to do this, you just need to put the bbc on the sat input of your first diplexer, instead of on the receiver, this will not work with H23 or HR23, im not sure if the H(R)24s use BBCs when not on swm or not as Im not with D* anylonger.

a bbc is a broad band converter, not a bandstop filter, so no, I was talking about the old system, and to quote myself this does not work with swm the same way it would with legacy.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)