Wiring question

sking

Original poster
Aug 28, 2007
I just built a new house and run the wiring in it. When I wired the house I pulled an RG6 cable to each room I wanted to watch satellite in. The house is ready for the Dish installer to come out and hook us up. They signed me up for two DVR recievers that can operate two tvs each. Did I mess up by only pulling one RG6 cable to each room? I am guessing I should have pulled two. The house is a walk out basement with a story above the basement so it would be very hard to pull additional wires with out tearing out a bunch of sheetrock. What do you guys think?

The best thing to have done would have been to have pulled a conduit so that it would be easy to add wires later. I would have also pulled a couple of CAT5e or CAT6 cables so that you can hook up a phone line and an Ethernet connection.

As to RG6, a single cable can be used for two tuners by using DishProPlus (DPP) technology. However you won't be able to provide any additional feed you might wish such as a separate OTA line, or TV2 backfeed from a 622/722, unless you do some fancy stuff with diplexors, splitters, and filters.

I forgot to mention that I pulled a cat5e with each RG6 cable. With the receiver that will run two TVs that can watch seperate channels I assume I am in trouble. Is this correct. I figure it probably needs one RG6 from the sattelite to the receiver and one RG6 from the receiver to the other TV. Is there anyway to split the RG6 and have the input from the dish and output from the receiver to run TV2 on the same RG6?

Thanks for the information guys. I wished I would have found this web site before I ran all of the wiring. Do the install techs usually have diplexers with them on their trucks?

I forgot to mention that I pulled a cat5e with each RG6 cable. With the receiver that will run two TVs that can watch seperate channels I assume I am in trouble. Is this correct. I figure it probably needs one RG6 from the sattelite to the receiver and one RG6 from the receiver to the other TV. Is there anyway to split the RG6 and have the input from the dish and output from the receiver to run TV2 on the same RG6?

Yes, it's possible to use a single RG6 cable for both satellite input to the receiver and TV2 output. You do this using a "diplexer". The diplexer will split (or combine, depending on your point of view), a TV-band signal and a satellite-band signal.

Here's a link to a picture of how to do this:

http://www.satelliteinstaller.com/My eBooks/PROBLEM_SOLVER_1.pdf

I forgot to mention that to use DPP you have to have RG6 that is tested and works up to 2150 MHz. This is because DPP carries two satellite feeds, one at the usual 950-1450 MHz and another reflected to 1650-2150 MHz.

Technically you can use RG59, but it's hit and miss sometimes. If it's a fairly short length it should work OK. I have a dual tuner DPP with about 20' of RG59 in line. I had to argue with the installer but he finally agreed to try...and it worked. But it isn't too much of an issue as the OP stated he has RG6.

Here's a graphic showing exactly what you want to do. It'll work find with the one RG6.

dishdiagrambz5.png

Technically you can use RG59, but it's hit and miss sometimes. If it's a fairly short length it should work OK. I have a dual tuner DPP with about 20' of RG59 in line. I had to argue with the installer but he finally agreed to try...and it worked. But it isn't too much of an issue as the OP stated he has RG6.

Yeah. And guess what? The installer was an idiot for letting you talk him into connecting DPP to RG-59. You'll likely have it burn out within a matter of months, then you'll be calling dish back up to whine that your system is not working. there's a reason we don't use RG-59 for anything except backfeeds. It doesn't handle the frequency and the voltage. RG-59 is rated at maximum 1000 MHz. A tech who gets caught using RG-59 on an install will fail the quality inspection, and the QAS will end up having to re-run that cable with the right kind. And believe me, that makes him very grumpy. So, technically, you can't use RG-59.

Yeah. And guess what? The installer was an idiot for letting you talk him into connecting DPP to RG-59. You'll likely have it burn out within a matter of months, then you'll be calling dish back up to whine that your system is not working. there's a reason we don't use RG-59 for anything except backfeeds. It doesn't handle the frequency and the voltage. RG-59 is rated at maximum 1000 MHz. A tech who gets caught using RG-59 on an install will fail the quality inspection, and the QAS will end up having to re-run that cable with the right kind. And believe me, that makes him very grumpy. So, technically, you can't use RG-59.

Yep..59 is a no no for DPP...It'll work .But for a short period of time..then ........

Yeah. And guess what? The installer was an idiot for letting you talk him into connecting DPP to RG-59. You'll likely have it burn out within a matter of months, then you'll be calling dish back up to whine that your system is not working.

Oh, so you're gonna start on the "burn up" or "burn out" stuff. Tell me exactly what's going to happen. Believe you me, it'll work fine. The cable's not going to burn up or anything like that. The receiver won't malfunction because of it either.

there's a reason we don't use RG-59 for anything except backfeeds. It doesn't handle the frequency and the voltage. RG-59 is rated at maximum 1000 MHz.

I know that it's less than ideal. I wouldn't use it if it's avoidable. But I had no other choice. In order to get a new cable there I would have to tear out about six different sections of drywall.

If you want you can look at the actual specs of RG59 and see that it's not the ideal cable type but in many cases it will work.

A tech who gets caught using RG-59 on an install will fail the quality inspection, and the QAS will end up having to re-run that cable with the right kind. And believe me, that makes him very grumpy. So, technically, you can't use RG-59.

Well, technically, it's possible. I already did. It works. Whether or not the installer is allowed to is a different question. I'm not sure that he was allowed to, but he did anyway at my insistance, and it worked as I expected. He wanted to staple the cable to the baseboard (not going to happen). If it didn't work I was going to run the cable through the walls...but again, I'd need to knock out drywall in six different spots. That takes days to fix. So my first idea was to try it as is, and it worked.

Now explain to me how if it works now it's going to all of the sudden fail.

Oh, so you're gonna start on the "burn up" or "burn out" stuff. Tell me exactly what's going to happen. Believe you me, it'll work fine. The cable's not going to burn up or anything like that. The receiver won't malfunction because of it either.

What exactly will happen is the cable WILL STOP WORKING. It is exceeding it's specifications significantly. The "Burn out stuff" as you so put it, Is absolutly correct. I've been in this business for almost 5 years, so I think I know a bit more about this than you.

I know that it's less than ideal. I wouldn't use it if it's avoidable. But I had no other choice. In order to get a new cable there I would have to tear out about six different sections of drywall.

If you want you can look at the actual specs of RG59 and see that it's not the ideal cable type but in many cases it will work.

So he wouldn't be able to wall fish it for you. Boo hoo. An exterior wallpen would be your only option. And it will be when your 59 stops working and you call crying to Dish about why your system stopped working. I have looked at te specs for 59. Have you seen any 59 rated to 2150 MHz? No? Didn't think so.

Well, technically, it's possible. I already did. It works. Whether or not the installer is allowed to is a different question. I'm not sure that he was allowed to, but he did anyway at my insistance, and it worked as I expected. He wanted to staple the cable to the baseboard (not going to happen). If it didn't work I was going to run the cable through the walls...but again, I'd need to knock out drywall in six different spots. That takes days to fix. So my first idea was to try it as is, and it worked.

It is truly unbelievable that you actually said that. Ignorant know-it-all customers like you are the ones that make my life difficult. It's very simple as to why it works now, and will fail later. For the same reason the crappy radio shack low frequency barrel connectors stop working after a while. (Gotta love those customers that refuse to let you change out their radio shack "gold" series barrel connectors with high frequency ones that are actually designed for Stacked frequencies.) And the same reason you have to use certain grades of electrical wiring for different power loads. It works for a while. From the first second it is powered up, it is exceeding the limits of the cable design significantly. It is continually overloading cable, creating constant degradation until the cable no longer functions. I see this all the time. At least 1 or 2 trouble calls a week I go to are due to DP and DPP systems connected to RG-59 WHICH HAS FAILED. I've seen some last up to a year, but most of the time the cable stops working within a couple of months. External switches seem to accelerate the process. First their signal begins fluctuating wildly, then they start gradually losing transponders in the higher frequency range. 110 xpndr 2 is usually the first to go. The same thing happens if we don't change out the stock low freq barrels that come in most standard wall plates.
The reason Dish techs are not allowed to use RG-59 is because it is a major trouble call driver. So enjoy it while it lasts.
Oh, and about the tech that you badgered into using the crappy junk wiring in your walls, he shouldn't have done that. We are instructed to not use 59. If the customer insists and will not let us run new cable, we are to cancel the job. No ifs ands or buts.

What's worst is that he sounds like an installer. RG59 WILL NOT WORK with Dish Pro or Dish Pro Plus, there's a reason why RG6 swept to 2150 Mhz is a requirement. The same goes to the barrel connectors rated to 1 Ghz, they will eventually fail. TP2 on 110 is the first one to go because the TP is on the highest frequency.

Well I won't call him if (excuse me "when") it fails. I'll replace it myself.

And I'll let you know when it fails, since everyone's so convinced that it will.

But trust me, I know enough to tell you that cables do not burn out. Other problems may occur but the RG59 won't burn out.

"But I had no other choice. In order to get a new cable there I would have to tear out about six different sections of drywall"
And that's the issue of the day..Everyday..Do we or don't we...Use the 59 if the house makes it impossible to re-wire without tearing the house apart...I will only use it as alast resort to get the job done but the customer is warned and I require him/her to sign off on the 59..It's pretty rare to see a situation like this but it does come about... DPP installs I have never used 59 ..Just can't bring myself to invite one trouble call after another.
One thing I will not do is start tearing up drywall and stuff like that. first , too much risk. second customers don't want to pay for custom work.
If they do, we have people on staff that do our custom stuff. We regular techs are in the production end of the deal. We get 3 to 5 jobs a day and can't blow off our other customers to stay at one job all day.Thing is, I like doing the custom stuff. It pays well and the customers know what the job is...Sorry off the beaten path a bit there..

Last edited:
Here's a graphic showing exactly what you want to do. It'll work find with the one RG6.

dishdiagrambz5.png

Holy BALLS man, you just saved me $5 a month.

I didn't know diplexers existed and always figured I'd need to run a new dedicated coax line between my 1st floor living room and 2nd floor bedroom to make use of "TV2" on my 722. So I didn't.

I just ordered a pair of DPD2 diplexers for $6 and it'll take me all of five minutes to install. Easiest $6 I ever spent.

And I'll let you know when it fails, since everyone's so convinced that it will.

But trust me, I know enough to tell you that cables do not burn out. Other problems may occur but the RG59 won't burn out.

Then you don't know much. That is unless you are taking the term "burn out" literally to mean some sort of thermodynamic destruction of the cable. Perhaps I should be more literal. It ceases functioning as a medium for carrying signal due to it's specifications being exceeded significantly and continuously.

You my friend are a fool.

I have 1-2 TC jobs a week because techs used 59 cable and it burns out from the voltage going through it.

Have fun replacing all that 59 cable yourself, which I doubt you'll do.

You'll just call dish and whine.

Holy BALLS man, you just saved me $5 a month.

I didn't know diplexers existed and always figured I'd need to run a new dedicated coax line between my 1st floor living room and 2nd floor bedroom to make use of "TV2" on my 722. So I didn't.

I just ordered a pair of DPD2 diplexers for $6 and it'll take me all of five minutes to install. Easiest $6 I ever spent.

and you can actually combine the UHF antenna and TV2 with splitters before they go into the first diplexer. At the receiver you use the second diplexer and take the UHF/VHF output and connect it to a second splitter and you can have UHF antenna right there at TV2. There are several diagrams on how to this, just search.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)