Wiring Question

Status
Please reply by conversation.

ivanl

Original poster
Jul 12, 2004
I currently have service from DTV. I have two wires connected to my dish that run into an 8 way multi switcher. I also have a 3rd wire run that is not connected to anything on either end (used to use it for Internet). There is now way to run a 4th wire. DTV tells me that I will soon lose my local channels and cannot get HDTV b/c I need 4 wires. Is this true? I cannot believe DTV would increase the number of wires required. That seems insane to me. I would expect the number of wires required to decrease, not increase. Are any wireless solutions on the horizon?

You will need four wires to the switch for HD on 110 and locals, if they are on 119. There is no way of getting around it.

Excuse my igonarance but what are "110" and "119"? Also, any insight on a wireless solution on the horizon? I have to believe that eventually that will be the answer.

ivanl, its a long way off and not on the horizon, the only way round it would be to replace the dish with a motorized dish then you could simply motor back and forth to any satellite you want (101, 110, 119.......) This is a great solution if you only have one TV but will not work if there are a few TV,s and everyone wanting to watch different channels at the same time, but it works great for me, other than that it looks like you would need to add a further two cable runs, a motorized system requires only one cable for everything!

Just hung up w/ level 2 tech support. They tell me the solution is to replace my dual LNB dish w/ a 3 LNB dish. That would only require me to use 2 wires to the multi switcher, allow me to keep my locals, and access HDTV. Is the solution really that Something doesn't sound righer here.

FYI, I need the ability for all 8 of my receivers to watch differnt things so the motorized dish won't work for me.

That will not work.

Of all of the multiswitches that are Phase III compatable that I am currently aware of, they REQUIRE all 4 lines from the PHASE III dish to be hooked up.

Simply running 2 lines from the Triplesat to the 8way Phase III compatable switch is NOT going to work.

IF you use a triple LNB the multiswitch is built in to the LNB, you run to 2 dual Ground Blocks...
If you add another Multiswitch it will confuse the LNB internal Multiswitch and it will not work.

Basically there are 3 Sat up there, 101 for your main programming, 110 for Hi-Def/Chinese and the 119 for Locals/Spanish.

The Single LNB dish only hits the 101 (up to 2 lines out), PhaseIII hits all 3 (Built-in 4 port Multi-switch). 3x8 Multi-switch does 8 lines out for the Single LNB dish. 5x8 does 8 lines out for the PhaseIII.

Each Sat need 2 lines run from the Multi-switch to the Dish, one for even transponders and one for odd. The 110 gets piggybacked onto the 119s Line. So you need 2 lines for the 101 and 2 for the 110/119 = 4 Lines for the Phase III to the Multi-switch.

Tech Support is wrong on this one, sortof. You could use the PhaseIII with only 2 lines run to the multi-switch BUT you only could use your Main programming (No 22khz tone) OR the Locals/Hi-Def (22khz tone), Not both at the same time.

Anyway, Good Luck,

WTT

yeah they told you some complete BS... you will HAVE to have the 4 lines to get your locals... the Phase III has a 4 port multiswitch built in... it will also require a new switch (assuming you want 8 still) that is a Cascadable Phase III compatible 4X8 or 5X8 the extra input is not needed if you dont have cable or use OTA stuff (long story) Unfortunately you will need that extra line... and the wireless solutions you are talking about are unfortunately for cable which is not a feedback voltage system... the wireless solution cant reproduce the voltage on the line that the recievers create. I hope this helps

Running a 4th line is impossible for me. Long story, but trust me that is not an option. If no solution is found, I will have to go back to cable. Can I at least keep my locals and forego HDTV if I swap my round dual-LNB dish w/ an oval dual-lnb dish (not phase III)? I would then keep my existing 8 way multi switch w/ two lines into it from the dish. I don't own any other HDTV equipment. My hope is that by the time HDTV is prevalent enough that I want to invest in it, a solution to my only having 3 wires problem will exist. DTV tells me I will lose my locals / my current dish on either 7/27 or 8/3.

ivanl :( sorry to lose you to cable but you can't have both locals and main programming without 4 cables unless you have a lot of money to spend on bandstacking equipment.

I have yet to see an impossible wire run, i have spent 30 mins or so to figure how to run line for a customers satisfaction, some had to pay additional, and some not...
but I never had an impossible one... yet ( knocking on wood )
Are you trying to not drill holes? Is crawl space too small?

Here is the solution

Here it is:

http://www.sonoradesign.com/newPDFs/SonoraCatalog_08_13_03.pdf Go to page 12. The product is TSAT242. This dish stacks the 4 signals that are usually sent over 4 coax wires onto two. You will also need the DSAT8D6S on the other end. It will replace my existing 8 way multi switcher. It destacks the signals that were stacked by the dish. It takes the two coax wires from the dish as input and outputs 8 wires that will run to my existing receivers. The dish is 3 LNB which will allow me to keep my local channels and upgrade to DTV when/if I choose to.

Awesome!!!! Not cheap though.

As for the wire run. I have had 10 different electricians look at it. the DTV techs look edat it. I have a lot of expereince fishing wires, and everyone agrees that it is impossible (without tearing out drywall, facia, siding, etc.). There is no attic in the house. Doesn't matter anyone more b/c the technolgy solution above is much better.

I'm with Rob on this one, I've seen runs that would be very expensive because of multiple and difficult wallfishes and runs but none that were impossible.

Usually the problem is a finished basement with a mechanical room near the center where the smartbox is, where all the wiring for the house comes together. Under those circumstances I've routed lines through/around heating and air ducts, without seeing your situation it would be hard to advise.

It might cost you some cash to get those lines run but with the right tech out there it can be done.

Sky Onion

Thanks.

BTW, you are wrong on the wire run. I'd be happy to talk to you about it ear to ear. E-mail me at benz@catvexpress.net and I will call or you can call me. I'd put 1000 to one odds on it being impossible. I live in PA if you want to take me up on it.

In refrence to wire run... I say its not impossible,
but it may not be a look you want on your home (IE: cable running around the side, up the wall, through the wall, ect... )

I know keeping the wires hidden is probably what is making it hard or impossible

I like the routers... didn't check did they give you a dollar amount?

Wire run.

You are right, by impossible, I mean impossbile to run in the same manner as the others (aka "compltely hidden"). The others are run inside walls, around multiple 90 degree corners, etc.. Sure they can run it down the front of my house, which is unacceptable. They could also tear out a bunch of drywall, siding, facia, ceiling and/or flooring and run it the same way as the other stuff, but they won't do that. They also could move the dish to another roof on my house and run the wires in an acceptable manner, but about 100 trees would have to be cleared to make a view to the southern sky.

In regards to pricing, $585 for the destacker, $350 for the dish. These prices assume you are licensed installer (or a retailer). Straight retail prices to an end consumer are about twice that amount. But since DTV is forcing this "upgrade" on me and they admit running another line is impossible, that cost is theirs (I assume they can probably get the equipment even cheaper than the numers listed above). Also they were already prepared to give me a standard 4x8 multisiwthcer and a phase III dish. They won't have to give me that anymore, so all and all it's probably only costing DTV a few hundred more bucks on this solution. I spend between $2K and $3K a year with them, and have for several years. I've never paid a bill late either. So I don't think it was hard decision for them to do it rather than risk losing me as a customer (which I was truly prepared to do). I doubt, however, they will do this for everyone. My situation was unusal, but I am sure not unique.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)