Wish Me Luck on My Second Try At A 30" Dish

fireman1000

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Feb 14, 2004
I live in south central TN. After countless tries to get a 30" dish because of complete signal loss during light drizzle for hours at a time, I had a 30" dish scheduled for installation last Saturday. After not receiving a confirmation call from the installer I called Voom back and the CSR told me I had to get special approval. The original installer has been back twice to my house to supposedly peak the 18" dish that came with my system. He told me he had used a signal meter and had it the best that he could do. The best signal I was able to get was between 79 & 80. I was almost ready to cancel and decided I could probably do better myself. With a little help from my son inside the house watching the signal strength through the stb, I was able to get a 95 signal strength.

Light drizzle again today has rendered my service useless so I called Voom back again today to once again ask for a 30" dish. After the CSR's quick confirmation with Installs, Inc I was told I should be getting an appointment schedule call within 24 hrs from the company that did the original install. I explained that I'd heard all of this before and he advised me that he was the person that did the upgrade dish approvals. Wish me luck!!

By the way, I did post a note on the Yahoo group and Wilt Hildenbrand quickly said he would personally check into the matter. A few days later, Joe Harkins from Installs, Inc. called to see if I was still having problems, and at that time it hadn't rained since I peaked my dish myself. So needless to say, Voom does seem to be trying very hard to correct the problem. We shall see what happens next.............

fireman1000 said:
I live in south central TN. After countless tries to get a 30" dish because of complete signal loss during light drizzle for hours at a time, I had a 30" dish scheduled for installation last Saturday. After not receiving a confirmation call from the installer I called Voom back and the CSR told me I had to get special approval. The original installer has been back twice to my house to supposedly peak the 18" dish that came with my system. He told me he had used a signal meter and had it the best that he could do. The best signal I was able to get was between 79 & 80. I was almost ready to cancel and decided I could probably do better myself. With a little help from my son inside the house watching the signal strength through the stb, I was able to get a 95 signal strength.

Light drizzle again today has rendered my service useless so I called Voom back again today to once again ask for a 30" dish. After the CSR's quick confirmation with Installs, Inc I was told I should be getting an appointment schedule call within 24 hrs from the company that did the original install. I explained that I'd heard all of this before and he advised me that he was the person that did the upgrade dish approvals. Wish me luck!!

By the way, I did post a note on the Yahoo group and Wilt Hildenbrand quickly said he would personally check into the matter. A few days later, Joe Harkins from Installs, Inc. called to see if I was still having problems, and at that time it hadn't rained since I peaked my dish myself. So needless to say, Voom does seem to be trying very hard to correct the problem. We shall see what happens next.............

Wow. I (supposedly) have one coming with very little effort. When the installer called about my appointment, I asked for a 30". He said my equipment was already there but he turned around and told Voom that he needed a 30" for my installation. He came out and installed the 18" and I have about a 60-63 signal on the old software (has not updated after 2 days). He thought it would be in next week and he'll come by and bolt it up. Not sure what he had to tell them. I was prepared to pay for it myself though if they had refused...

bbtkd said:
Wow. I (supposedly) have one coming with very little effort. When the installer called about my appointment, I asked for a 30". He said my equipment was already there but he turned around and told Voom that he needed a 30" for my installation. He came out and installed the 18" and I have about a 60-63 signal on the old software (has not updated after 2 days). He thought it would be in next week and he'll come by and bolt it up. Not sure what he had to tell them. I was prepared to pay for it myself though if they had refused...

Update - with the .68 update running I now have a 99 PQ with no rain and about a 92 with rain. Hopefully with the 30" dish I will get 99 all the time. Still - no sat signal problems at all with 18" but suppose I would with a downpour.

fireman1000 said:

isn't it ridiculous that these *lazy installers* with all their fancy gadgets, are not able to get you decent signal? Yet you can climb up on to the roof yourself without any help, and get a better signal with ease? lol... I've done it twice myself now, and wonder about what some of those guys are really doing on my roof all that time they spend up there? Good job with your signal! Oh, and btw, when you have someone set up the 30" it might be a good idea to do a follow up peaking of the dish after he leaves? ;)