wish me luck

Status
Please reply by conversation.

gremlin411

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 16, 2008
South East Texas
had to leave the house for Ike. Hope I have one to come home to could not save anyone of the dish's. took the arms off the 6 footer and fliped it over. took the 4 footer down and in the garage. not enough room in the minivan for them ( that is what the wife said ). She said the kids were more important. LOL .....

My thoughts and prayers go out to all who are affected by the monster that is Ike. This storm has a windfield even larger than Katrina... Here in New Orleans, we're currently getting tropical storm force (30-45 mph sustained) winds and the lower coastal parishes (counties) are getting serious storm surge. No surge close to the city yet.

Gremlin, you did the right thing by taking down your dishes. Mine are still inside from last week's Gustav scare, and I won't put them back up until the wind here subsides (probably a project for tomorrow evening). I've found that the mounts will hold up okay in almost any wind (140 mph in Katrina and they didn't budge), so I just remove the reflectors. Makes it easy to get back online after the storm.

Again, everyone in Galveston and Houston please stay safe! :flag:

yes our thoughts and prayers go out to all who are in the affected areas of Ike.
stay safe and we will see you when you get back online.

hello guy's just got word from some friends. I have one tree down and no power. every thing else looks good. Thank GOD !!. found a laptop to use so I could keep in touch. got lucky. Thanks guy's
Tron be safe man and good luck.

good luck Gremlin

That's good news, hope you can get back home soon, and have electric restored quickly. Sounds like a huge number of people are without power, for now.

just got word from some friends.
I have one tree down and no power. every thing else looks good.
Grem - that's great news!
Could have been a lot worse!

Keep us advised once you get back and do the cleanup.
If it's lookin' really bad, shoot a picture or two.

. . . and of course, dish status.
She said the kids were more important.
Well, we know they're fine... but the dishes, man.... the dishes! . - :rolleyes:

Well i just got power back. It was a wild experience. I have roof damage along with a blown down fence.

Gremlin-

Glad you were spared any major damage. Was the tree that fell blocking your LOS by any chance? I lost most of my trees during Katrina, and when I saw the damage my first thought was "WOW what a great LOS!" That was the one "favor" the storm did for me...

DocRobster-

Sorry about the roof damage, have you been able to find a tarp? FEMA was handing those out after Gustav last week, along with ice and (occasionally) MREs. How are your dishes?

I was able to take some time this afternoon/evening to put my reflectors back up, so the dish farm is now functional again after two weeks of being stored in my living room :rolleyes:

on the positive side:

When you have lemons, make lemonade -

If neighbors have trees blocking your LOS, right NOW is a good time to whack 'em down.
Get there and do it before they come back.
If there are any questions, just say, "it was hanging dangerously over the yard/pool/fence/power line/their house", and you helped by taking it down.
You'll be a hero. :D

. . . with great LOS ! - :eureka

not that much luck on the LOS evrything was on the north side of house. glad to see everyone is doing good. The news said I can't not go back home yet but we will see. going to try to go back tommorrow.

just got the internet back.. we had some heavy rain the day after Ike and it killed the net and my VoIP.

I am lucky that I did not need tarps. I just lost a bunch of flaps.

To cool think if my FTA Ku setup keep its arc!

Did you remove the reflectors or leave them up? If you took the reflectors inside, your mounts should have stayed perfectly aligned, since they offer little wind resistance.

I left everything as-is. I parked the dish at my true-south (95 degrees) and hoped for the best. the other item is that my pole is cemented and mounted on the South-West corner of the house.

Just got a call from the wife. We have power at the house again. Now she can turn on the dvd player for the kids and no one will have to die. It was getting scary around the house with no power and 2 yrs olds with nothing to do are watch. Found a primestar dish the other day ( before Ike ) on a NPRM at a bussiness complex stop and asked if I could have it the owner said yes. When I got back home I did not need a ladder any more LOL !!! Was in great shape. Channel Master .90 X .63 I guess it is a 75e.

Nice find, Gremlin! Congrats also on the NPRM. I could use a couple more of those, they really come in handy :) I'm looking for a super-sized BUD NPRM at the moment...

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)