Without a second TV, what can I do with my Joey???

Ghpr13

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Jul 1, 2009
Louisville, KY
When my wife's son moved out on Friday, he took his TV of course. Now the Joey that I had hooked up to that is just sitting there, not being used. Is that all I can do with it until we get a second TV?

Thanks,
Ghpr13:)

Well, you could return it and save $7 a month, but I wouldn't do that if you think you're going to get a second TV.

Also, you could hook it up to a secondary input on the one TV, and use the TV's PiP to achieve, with the Hopper's PiP, SUPER PIP!

Well, you could return it and save $7 a month, but I wouldn't do that if you think you're going to get a second TV.
Yeah, I wouldn't return it if a second TV is a real possibility in the next few months. They could charge another upgrade charge to re-add they Joey later.

Do you have a computer monitor? ;)

Do you have a computer monitor? ;)

Yes, I do. I also have an old computer hooked up to my HDTV. If I hooked it up to my computer monitor in my "office", would I get Dish on there, and how would I do it?
Thanks,

Also, you could hook it up to a secondary input on the one TV, and use the TV's PiP to achieve, with the Hopper's PiP, SUPER PIP!

How would I do this?
Thanks,

Not to highjack a thread, but connecting a Joey to the same TV has been a question on my mind. I currently have a ViP622 and a ViP722 with OTA on both and they're both going to a single TV. (I rarely use the OTA except to follow the radar during storms). I have often wondered if the Hopper/Joey would benefit me. If I understand it correctly, I think I would lose at least one tuner. I love the shiny new software and the capabilities of the Hopper, but I'm wondering if it's right for me.

120inna55 said:
Not to highjack a thread, but connecting a Joey to the same TV has been a question on my mind. I currently have a ViP622 and a ViP722 with OTA on both and they're both going to a single TV. (I rarely use the OTA except to follow the radar during storms). I have often wondered if the Hopper/Joey would benefit me. If I understand it correctly, I think I would lose at least one tuner. I love the shiny new software and the capabilities of the Hopper, but I'm wondering if it's right for me.

make a new thread for better results

Sent from my fingers.

How would I do this?
Thanks,
And how do you do that?

It depends upon the TV. But for most TVs, they will have multiple HDMI inputs, or both HDMI and composite/RCA. If your TV has 2 or more HDMI inputs, just use one for the Hopper and one for the Joey. Or put the Joey on composite/RCA. Then you can have your TV go into PiP mode, with say, the Hopper on the left and the Joey on the right. And using the Hopper PiP, you could have 3 pictures going at once. That would require rather a large TV to be practical, and a willingness to juggle remotes.

In order to use the Joey and the Hopper at the same location/TV, wouldn't a 2nd coax run have to be added from the node to the TV location? I believe that is the crux of the question "how do I do that?"

Unless you trust the wireless or unsupported Ethernet solutions, I believe so.

Of course, the TV itself must support PiP. Some don't.

In order to use the Joey and the Hopper at the same location/TV, wouldn't a 2nd coax run have to be added from the node to the TV location? I believe that is the crux of the question "how do I do that?"

use a tap, then only one RG6 is needed from the node.

Yes, I do. I also have an old computer hooked up to my HDTV. If I hooked it up to my computer monitor in my "office", would I get Dish on there, and how would I do it?
Thanks,
For the video, you just connect the Joey's HDMI output to the PC monitor, as long as it has an HDMI input. You would use an HDMI to DVI adapter, if it only has a DVI input. If you only have an ancient analog-only VGA input, you will need an HDMI-VGA digital-to-analog converter. Monoprice has them for around $30.

For the program data, connect the Joey's ethernet port to your LAN's router or switch. I assume there is a wired port somewhere in your office room. As long as your Hopper is connected to your LAN, they will link to each other thru your LAN, no coax required.

For the video, you just connect the Joey's HDMI output to the PC monitor, as long as it has an HDMI input. You would use an HDMI to DVI adapter, if it only has a DVI input. If you only have an ancient analog-only VGA input, you will need an HDMI-VGA digital-to-analog converter. Monoprice has them for around $30.

For the program data, connect the Joey's ethernet port to your LAN's router or switch. I assume there is a wired port somewhere in your office room. As long as your Hopper is connected to your LAN, they will link to each other thru your LAN, no coax required.

GaryPen,
Thanks! That's doable.

You can connect the Joey to a VCR or DVD recorder for bumping a favorite episode while viewing your Hopper at the same time without interfering with the others recording/viewing experience.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)