woke up to 771A error.. all 3 TVs

Status
Please reply by conversation.

zim2dive

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 8, 2006
Cary, NC
I have 1xHR34 and 2xH25... we had a pretty mild storm last night (at least by local standards).. woke up this morning and all the TVs are saying 771A ... can't connect to dish.

most of the threads I've found relate to initial setup or moving a dish... not this failing after working.

Any ideas?

Check to be sure your power inserter is working, then check all of your cables.

I took a quick look around this morning and could only find what looked like the network adaptor (black box, 3 green lights)... I should dig more in the same place to find the inserter? (I also checked under the house and only found the splitter)

power inserter is typically near a unit, there is a coax run into it and it plugs into the wall

iy have 2 coax connections, i cant recall

edit for pic from net

LNBSWP.jpg

Found it... it was on the TV with the long (100' ?) run... dangling by an 8" length of coax from the wall jack... blinking green.. I guess the weight of dangling caused an open.... altho I tried a replacement cable and no luck.. so I moved it to a nearer TV and it came solid again.. and we have picture again.. BUT the far end TV seems to have issues accessing the HR34 now.. saying "LIVING ROOM disconnected".... I had to reboot the H25 to get connected again.

We have an appt for Thu, I think I will keep it. The installer re-used the existing cables, some of which weren't exactly great.. maybe this tech can clean things up to get that far-end TV to behave better...

Tech came out last night... explained the situation and showed him the previous install... He replaced several segments of cables (none which were rated for 3GHz, but which had been left in place by the previous tech), and we found that the long run (installed by the previous home owner) had a major crimp in it, so he spliced that out, and the long run TV signal signal strengths all jumped by 10-15 points (nice debugging skills on his part).

All in all a very good visit.. its a crying shame I didn't get him for the original install.

So it was the cables after all! ;)

2 (main) cables to blame

#1 was the short one cut for the original install which left the PI dangling in the air (all the weight on the cable)
#2 we had to crawl around the attic to find the cable which was being pinched between flooring and cross-beam. It was almost pinched in half. That was causing the flaky connection to our bonus room.

he changed out 2 ~15' "segments" as well which ran from the splitter to the cable/junction box (the aggregation point of all the previously installed cables)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts