Women's 2011 FIFA World Cup(Soccer)

riffjim4069 said:
I can't believe we lost this one...and I can't believe anyone would award First Place to a team over goal-kicks (a Tie in my book). :(

Come on, the field is bigger than a football field and the players run all over it for 120+ minutes. Three subs max allowed.

Extending it any farther wouldn't be any better for the game. There are physical limits to playing and running that much. Have them play longer and you run the risk of injury or ugly goals that result from mental and or physical exhaustion.

I personally dislike PKs, but they serve their purpose. And both teams have the opportunity to avoid them by scoring earlier in the game.

The USA lost this game when they failed to capitalize on all the tremendous scoring chances they had in the first 30 minutes. They could have put it away early. And then when they took the lead twice, both times they played too defensively and conceded tying goals.

Japan showed a lot of heart in coming back to tie with very little time left (twice). And they won it by showing icy calm in taking their PKs.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

pro96 said:
CHOKED.. nuff said

Sent using SatelliteGuys with my EVO non 3D LoL

I agree...Japan was down one player and the went into that bull5#!7 prevent defense. I have never understood teams go into these kind of defenses to "not lose"...and you end up not winning.

salsadancer7 said:
I agree...Japan was down one player and the went into that bull5#!7 prevent defense. I have never understood teams go into these kind of defenses to "not lose"...and you end up not winning.

Come on... They were down one player for all of 90 seconds. That made zero impact on the game.

Oh well... At least they've won Silver, which is better than in the past two World Cups.
It was so close though... a very good game!

The player advantage wasn't long enough to effect the outcome. The red card play probably saved Japan though, as odds are Alex Morgan would have scored there. The delaying game is what killed the US. You go into that prevent type defense and give up scoring opportunities.

Come on... They were down one player for all of 90 seconds. That made zero impact on the game.

I do not know how much international soccer you watch, but 90 seconds with man/woman advantage....you go on the OFFENSE...not sit back HOPE something does not happen.

Come on, the field is bigger than a football field and the players run all over it for 120+ minutes. Three subs max allowed.

The players generally play an area...they run up and down parts of it, but they rest and/or lollygag much more of their time on the field. The penalty kicks (for the final mind you) are just as bad as the penalty shots in hockey - that's why you don't seem them come playoff time. I see nothing wrong with making the players decided the game.

Sitting waiting for my BBQ mix at L&L and they had a game on TV (I believe it was Japan vs USA???). This was the first time I realized the WC was going on. Had no idea soccer was being played.

Really?? That's kinda embarrassing. I'll admit that I didn't follow it too closely until a few days ago, but at least I knew it was going on. It has been covered pretty extensively.

Better watch out, or your Sports Section membership might get revoked.... ;) :p

salsadancer7 said:
I do not know how much international soccer you watch, but 90 seconds with man/woman advantage....you go on the OFFENSE...not sit back HOPE something does not happen.

Maybe you didn't see the last 90 seconds of the game, but a pot of it was spent setting up the free kick that resulted from that red card and after that the US did continue to attack.

My point being that being a woman down for so little time had zero impact on the course of the game. 90 seconds does not afford a lot of scoring opportunities. And Japan didn't have to play short handed for very long, so extra fatigue from being down a player was not an issue.

riffjim4069 said:
The players generally play an area...they run up and down parts of it, but they rest and/or lollygag much more of their time on the field. The penalty kicks (for the final mind you) are just as bad as the penalty shots in hockey - that's why you don't seem them come playoff time. I see nothing wrong with making the players decided the game.

I'm not big into the metrics, but they've started using computers to calculate the distance players travel during games and it's in the miles range. I don't have numbers for a particular game to use as reference, but it's not something trivial.

Nearly 13.5 millions people tuned in the Final on ESPN on Sunday. The game fared better in the ratings than the MLB All-Star Game, the Pro Bowl, and Game 3 of last year's World Series. While ratings for soccer in general in this country remain miniscule, the numbers for this game plus the more than 24 million who tuned in last year's men's final prove that the World Cup has become a mainstream sports event in this country, something I would have not thought possible when I first started following the sport back in the 70s.

btharner said:
Nearly 13.5 millions people tuned in the Final on ESPN on Sunday. The game fared better in the ratings than the MLB All-Star Game, the Pro Bowl, and Game 3 of last year's World Series. While ratings for soccer in general in this country remain miniscule, the numbers for this game plus the more than 24 million who tuned in last year's men's final prove that the World Cup has become a mainstream sports event in this country, something I would have not thought possible when I first started following the sport back in the 70s.

I disagree. If the US wasn't playing in the Final I doubt you could find more than a nominal number of viewers...

Sent from my HTC EVO using SatelliteGuys App

riffjim4069 said:
I disagree. If the US wasn't playing in the Final I doubt you could find more than a nominal number of viewers...

Sent from my HTC EVO using SatelliteGuys App

The same reasoning applies to the other "mainstream" sporting events that were listed for comparison. If the All Star game, world series and pro bowl didn't involve US teams/players how many would watch?

To illustrate the point, to my knowledge, NFL Europe never had a big US following. Does that mean that Americans don't give a damn about football overall? I don't think so.

And last I checked, the US men did not play in the final game of the last world cup, so the explanation you provided doesn't hold there either.

In fact half of the ten most watched World Cup matches on ABC/ESPN did not involve the US. Soccer bashers never let the truth get in the way of a good argument. They now have three years to come up with some fresh material.

In fact half of the ten most watched World Cup matches on ABC/ESPN did not involve the US. Soccer bashers never let the truth get in the way of a good argument. They now have three years to come up with some fresh material.

If folks would start to look at the demographics of this country...latino population, as well as other nationalities growing every year....soccer will eventually become more mainstream. Will it get as big as the NFL, I doubt it because folks that do come from other cultures WANT and LOVE American culture....but it will happen.

The FIFA Women's World Cup set two new records for number of tweets sent per second on Sunday.
The final game, between USA and Japan, set the new all-time high with 7,196 per second at the end of the game.
The Paraguay vs. Brazil game is the new number-two spot with 7,166 tweets per second, according to a tweet sent by @Twitter.
The previous record was set just as New Year's Day began this year in Japan -- with 6,939 tweets per second. The Women's World Cup Final also far outpaces the Men's World Cup 2010's most-tweeted match: 3,283 tweets were sent per second when Japan beat Denmark.
It's certainly curious that all of these top-tweeting moments occurred around Japan.
As far as non-soccer sporting events go, in February, Twitter users outdid themselves during the Super Bowl, compared to previous years, with 4,064 tweets sent per second.

http://www.cnn.com/2011/TECH/social.media/07/18/world.cup.twitter.record.mashable/index.html

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts