Working on the server

Scott Greczkowski

Scott Greczkowski

Welcome HOME to SatelliteGuys!
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Sep 7, 2003
Newington, CT
You may notice that it may take a few moments to post a post or reply.

THIS IS OK.

We are testing a new SEO software which best formats and submits posts to the search engines for better search engine coverage from searches like Google and Bing. I am told the next release of the software will speed this up greatly. :)

Scott Greczkowski

Scott Greczkowski

Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Sep 7, 2003
Newington, CT
Just a heads up. Working on the search engine. The Elasticsearch engine we use keeps on crashing since we applied some log4j fixes for it.

The search index is being redone and may take a few hours. :)

Jimbo

Jimbo

SatelliteGuys Master
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 14, 2005
NW Ohio - Buckeye Country
Scott, probably not related to what you were working on, however, the site just got REAL SLOW when trying to post or go to a thread.

TRG

TRG

SatelliteGuys Pro
Pub Member / Supporter
Jul 19, 2007
Albuquerque, NM
The search function is terrible now. The predictive results while typing is now gone. Is there a setting that will allow me to get that feature back?

Scott Greczkowski

Scott Greczkowski

Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Sep 7, 2003
Newington, CT
The search function is terrible now. The predictive results while typing is now gone. Is there a setting that will allow me to get that feature back?

Not at this time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: charlesrshell
Scott Greczkowski

Scott Greczkowski

Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Sep 7, 2003
Newington, CT
Ok as I type this I have reinstalled the old search, as a number of the packages have been updated and security issues have been fixed.

Once the search engine is reindexed I will make it the default search again, and we will also enable all the search features again. :)

Before after doing some of the patching of the software by hand the search was crashing and causing issues which is why I had to remove it, but now the packages themselves (and add ons) are patched from the makers of them so hopefully it will be stable once again.

Running our own servers is a cat and mouse game, but I take the security of our servers and more importantly your info seriously. :)

Scott Greczkowski

Scott Greczkowski

Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Sep 7, 2003
Newington, CT
Wow you guys search a lot.

Since putting the search back online last night there have been over 140,000 searches made. (And the results have been delivered in an average of 33 milliseconds.) Not too shabby! :D

Scott Greczkowski

Scott Greczkowski

Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Sep 7, 2003
Newington, CT
Actually it may be accurate, as if I look at the Who's Online activity many guests are doing searches.

I am not sure if it is bots as bots are counted separately in the whos online, but not sure if they are counted by the search engine itself.

KE4EST

KE4EST

SatelliteGuys Is My Second Home
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Lifetime Supporter
Aug 9, 2004
EM75xb
many guests are doing searches
This is exactly what I thought of when you put up the numbers yesterday. Most people don't join forums unless a forum makes them, then often times they look for another place for the info they seek.
Now, if they find themselves coming back to the same forum often they might join or if they want to ask a question. But, if they find what they want, they move on.