Working Thread: Better Alternative to the Dish 921

Status
Not open for further replies.

WLong

SatelliteGuys Pro
Supporting Founder
Jan 28, 2004
Hey guys,

I wanted to fill you all in on a plan I am working on to build my own "HD-DVR-Like" environment in my home theater. Keep in mind here that the goal is not to create a Home Theater PC. My current machine runs Windows 2003 Server, Microsoft Exchange, Microsoft SQL Server etc. So running something dedicated to home theater (a la MCE 2005) is out of the question.

The goal: A solution that can provide the ability to record and playback HD and SDTV to my 65T500 Hitachi RPTV for less than or equal to the cost of a 921 receiver, and is NOT provider specific. In addition, the ability to provide HD and SDTV content to other machines on my home network (6) would be a HUGE plus. On top of this, the ability to upconvert DVD's and other digital content from its original form to 720P/1080i over component video

With this goal in mind I purchased one of the myHD MDP-130 PCI cards and an Avel Linkplayer2. These two devices together give me the ability to record and playback OTA HDTV/DTV, and upconvert any signal (DVD, Digital Media, recorded broadcasts, etc.) to 720P/1080i over component video.

In addition, if I were to add cable I would have the ability to record and playback QAM64 and QAM256 in the clear cable broadcasts. This is besides the point at the moment since I am a DISH Sub, but does help add to the "not provider specific" need I have mentioned.

But... since I am a DISH Subscriber, here is where this gets interesting. I need the ability to record DISH Network SD content with this solution. Luckily, the myHD MDP-130 PCI card comes with S-Video and Analog Audio In. What I plan to do is run a Dish 311 receiver into the S-Video in on the myHD card, setup auto-tune timers within the DISH 311 receiver for the SD content I need to record, and configure myHD to record from the S-Video in at those times.

As a backup solution to the possible problems I might run into with recording from the 311, I have an older ATI All-In-Wonder 8500DV that I can use as the capture device if the myHD doesnt provide the level of recordability I need, or if the myHD is unable to record Dish SD while it is recording OTA HD/DTV.

End cost of the solution w/o the All In Wonder = $499, and it is not DISH Network specific and could be used with any service provider (DISH, DirecTV, Comcast, etc.) Add $172 for the AIW according to Pricewatch.

One drawback here is that I cannot record anything from the DISH HD-Pack. Luckily for me, there is plenty on OTA that I would prefer to record anyhow and anything I would actually want to keep is still available via SD.

Thoughts? Ideas? :D :D :yes :yes ;) :cool: :shocked :shocked

EDIT: Links to the devices I mentioned in this thread:

Linkplayer2: http://www.iodata.com/products/products.php?cat=HNP&sc=AVEL&ts=2&tsc=15&sc=AVEL&pId=AVLP2/DVDLA

myHD: http://www.digitalconnection.com/Products/Video/mdp130.asp

-Bill

Unless, I'm mistaken (always a possibilty) you won't be able to record the Dish inputs with the MyHD. I've tried in the past with my MDP-120 card and no dice. I think I saw a post on AVS forums (there's a lot of MyHD info there) indicating that it doesn't work. Actually there's some discussion with doing away with off-air analog recording too. The AIW solution should work fine for what you're wanting to do though.

Mike

iammike said:
Unless, I'm mistaken (always a possibilty) you won't be able to record the Dish inputs with the MyHD. I've tried in the past with my MDP-120 card and no dice. I think I saw a post on AVS forums (there's a lot of MyHD info there) indicating that it doesn't work. Actually there's some discussion with doing away with off-air analog recording too. The AIW solution should work fine for what you're wanting to do though.

Mike
I wonder why recording on the myHD card wouldnt work? The dongle has S-Video in on it, so I dont see why not...

-Bill

Sounds like you can help

I just reviewed this thread trying to locate a solution for my combination of a MyHD 130 with MCE2005. It doesn't seem to recognize this tuner card. I used this card to replace a Happauge 500MCE so I could get OTA HD broadcasts. Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated!!

Thanks

The myHD doesnt work with MCE. The FushionHDTV card does though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts