HDTV upconverter

Status
Not open for further replies.

oldbob

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jun 30, 2004
does anyone have experience with the ADS hdtv upconverter. I've got a LCD HDTV in my bedroom, which is being driven off of a 501 and an OTA tuner. In the HD mode, the picture is outstanding, but when viewing off of the 501, the picture sucks. The downstairs set is not LCD and I'm viewing it through a 921 using the HD only output, so the SD is being upconverted to 1080i. I've used the 921 to drive the LCD display, and it looks better than when it is driven directly off of the 501.

I've seen ads for the ADS upconverter, which will convert 400x signals to 720p and/or 1080i. I'm wondering if anyone has knowledge of how well this particular box works. It seems to me that upconverting may have an advantage with an LCD monitor, since LCDs have real "native" resolutions.

I've been quite happy with mine. I does allow me to send standard def to my projector in 16X9 format. It also gives you more room to play with color,contrast,briteness, etc. You can also set individual settings for each input.

If you upconvert something in a 4:3 format, can you maintain the format in the upconverted version. My wife watches a lot of old 4:3 movies. I once bought a DVD player that stretched 4:3 and you couldn't turn the stretch off. Since the TV is LCD, I don't have to worry about burning

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)